Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
There are two memorable moments from Trac late last year which, if happening once or twice a game, would see him be incredibly damaging.

• Just that quick duck and weave in traffic, then the goal sense and strength to kick off one step. Great goal.

• Trac's work in this goal gets lost in the bigger moment of Jones kicking the goal. @ 0.05, the movement in traffic to get the pass out. So good.
  • Also... note the T.Mac lead and bring the ball to ground. I don't think I saw him once get that high off the ground this year. He has to be carrying leg issue(s).

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
There are two memorable moments from Trac late last year which, if happening once or twice a game, would see him be incredibly damaging.

• Just that quick duck and weave in traffic, then the goal sense and strength to kick off one step. Great goal.

• Trac's work in this goal gets lost in the bigger moment of Jones kicking the goal. @ 0.05, the movement in traffic to get the pass out. So good.
  • Also... note the T.Mac lead and bring the ball to ground. I don't think I saw him once get that high off the ground this year. He has to be carrying leg issue(s).

Watching those videos make me so sad that we are a disaster again.

Watching football last year was so much fun!

If I’m not mistaken he’s now our leading goal kicker for the year which is a pathetic reflection of where we are at given he’s only kicked 21 goals. But at the same time good on him - he’s not a superstar but it’d be ******* hard to be when you’re coached so poorly and play with a bunch of hacks, and he’s one of the few enjoyable assets we have to watch at the moment.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
If I’m not mistaken he’s now our leading goal kicker for the year which is a pathetic reflection of where we are at given he’s only kicked 21 goals. But at the same time good on him - he’s not a superstar but it’d be ******* hard to be when you’re coached so poorly and play with a bunch of hacks, and he’s one of the few enjoyable assets we have to watch at the moment.
If he had a decent team around him, he'd be turning some serious heads ... as it is, he's left to do a stupid amount of work himself, and while he's quietly putting together a seriously good season, it's going massively under the radar.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
He looked so dangerous in the first quarter when we had control of the game. We only had 39 inside 50s and I reckon 12-14 of those came in the first quarter.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

In 2014, Chris Dawes led with 20, followed by Dom Tyson with 16 and James Frawley with 15. We finished 2nd last that year, with only the Saints beating us to the bottom end of the table.

We've come a long way in 5 years.

omit

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
He could probably have had an extra 10 goals this season if he would stop over thinking things and just kick for goal instead of trying a difficult pass to a player in a slightly better position

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
If you look at the build-up to C Wagner's goal yesterday, it still highlights what's wrong with him. Often he'll do something brilliant them completely * it up by trying to be unselfish. He'll be a star if he starts taking those shots himself.

If you look at the build-up to C Wagner's goal yesterday, it still highlights what's wrong with him. Often he'll do something brilliant them completely fu** it up by trying to be unselfish. He'll be a star if he starts taking those shots himself.

He got a massive serve very early in for being selfish and it has stuck with him unfortunately.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you look at the build-up to C Wagner's goal yesterday, it still highlights what's wrong with him. Often he'll do something brilliant them completely fu** it up by trying to be unselfish. He'll be a star if he starts taking those shots himself.

What was impressive in that goal was his work rate. Worked hard to win the ball at halfback and ended up with multiple efforts inside attaching 50 when the ball was swept upfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He got a massive serve very early in for being selfish and it has stuck with him unfortunately.
Same thing happened to JKH imo. He was flying early days until Dawes roasted him for kicking a goal once instead of handing off, and he was never the same.

Having a really solid year given he's a high half forward in a team that's functioning poorly.

Most pleasingly, his effort and pressure has been super consistent, even if he's not finding the ball.

High impact player, if we can move him into the middle a bit more and get him to 23-25 touches a game he'll be a seriously damaging player.

Eh. Had a perfectly good 2014 for a first year who’d never played as a small forward before.
First half of 2014, like everyone else on the list we checked out after the essendon game

If he turns up lean and fit next year, we might see him go to the next level I suspect.

It will certainly be interesting to see how Darren Burgess handles him.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I want to marry him and have his kids.

When we stop being s**t he's going to tear teams apart. Bet your house on it.

Not the only one who appears to have adopted this "team first" mantra to the detriment of their performance. Was bloody annoying watching the Saints no-names ping sausages from all over the ground. Would love to see a few more of our players back themselves in.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

All that bake did was kill his confidence further too. I’d rather Trac be selfish and decisive than sit there and second guess himself all the time. Nothing frustrates me more than forwards who are too scared to back themselves.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, our whole forward line has had their instinct and ruthlessness/selfishness coached out of them. Instead maybe Melksham who seems like a campaigner and won't listen to anyone. Surprise, surprise he's our most dangerous forward.

Obviously there's a balance to be struck but it's clearly swung too far in the opposite direction.

Back