Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4 x All-Australian and 2 x Best and Fairest

Yep, our whole forward line has had their instinct and ruthlessness/selfishness coached out of them. Instead maybe Melksham who seems like a campaigner and won't listen to anyone. Surprise, surprise he's our most dangerous forward.

Obviously there's a balance to be struck but it's clearly swung too far in the opposite direction.
All the best teams are unselfish while looking egotistical IMO. Like Hawkins hanging off to that first gamer against us in R2.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Petracca was one of the main ones who turned up fat and unfit at the start of the year.

He’s built a fitness base now and is looking really good.
Or he had knee surgery at the end of last season and was in rehab until the new year. It's unfair on him to say he turned up fat, particularly when he was in the best shape I'd seen him at the start of Feb on the Sunny Coast in spite of the lack of preseason.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Or he had knee surgery at the end of last season and was in rehab until the new year. It's unfair on him to say he turned up fat, particularly when he was in the best shape I'd seen him at the start of Feb on the Sunny Coast in spite of the lack of preseason.

I might not have used my words very well. I’m not blaming him.

He was very clearly underdone at the start of the year though. I’m not sure what you saw on the GC, but he was lethargic up until around the byes. Because of the state of the rest of the list, I had presumed it was a combination of his surgery and a poor preseason programme delivered by Misson.

You can really see the difference in the way he’s moving now, and it’s paying off in husband output. I was a bit worried about him early in the year to be honest, but he’s clearly worked hard and now I’m excited about his potential again.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I might not have used my words very well. I’m not blaming him.

He was very clearly underdone at the start of the year though. I’m not sure what you saw on the GC, but he was lethargic up until around the byes. Because of the state of the rest of the list, I had presumed it was a combination of his surgery and a poor preseason programme delivered by Misson.

You can really see the difference in the way he’s moving now, and it’s paying off in husband output. I was a bit worried about him early in the year to be honest, but he’s clearly worked hard and now I’m excited about his potential again.
Yeah, that's fair. He was definitely struggling for fitness early on like most of the team, but thats come good, and he's getting more and more confident each game, fingers crossed he gets a full, uninterrupted preseason this year, as I reckon he'll explode next year with one.

By best shape, I meant actual shape, as in not at all fat. For some reason people see his massive quads and call him fat, when it's those massive quads that prevent him from just about ever getting tackled to the ground.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Yeah, that's fair. He was definitely struggling for fitness early on like most of the team, but thats come good, and he's getting more and more confident each game, fingers crossed he gets a full, uninterrupted preseason this year, as I reckon he'll explode next year with one.

By best shape, I meant actual shape, as in not at all fat. For some reason people see his massive quads and call him fat, when it's those massive quads that prevent him from just about ever getting tackled to the ground.
I think the other reason he gets called fat is because supporters like to have one nominated fat bloke per team. We used to have that role covered with fatty Kent but now we need a new selection. May tried to work into that role but selfishly got himself in shape, so we’ve been forced to fall back on fatty Trak

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think the other reason he gets called fat is because supporters like to have one nominated fat bloke per team. We used to have that role covered with fatty Kent but now we need a new selection. May tried to work into that role but selfishly got himself in shape, so we’ve been forced to fall back on fatty Trak

We're just a bunch of Fat Trac Bullies.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

9035E402-9412-4F28-B19C-2706316BE8BB.gif

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petracca rated the number 2 general forward by Champion Data this season behind Ablett. I think he was so overrated before that now he's becoming slightly underrated

If he played this well last year when we were much better we probably play in the grand final. I’ve been very critical of him and would still like to see him play midfield more, but he has absolutely improved on 2018.

Petracca rated the number 2 general forward by Champion Data this season behind Ablett. I think he was so overrated before that now he's becoming slightly underrated
Those ratings systems love ‘impact on the contest’ and say why you will about Trav but he impacts

Oh, he impacts hard

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If he played this well last year when we were much better we probably play in the grand final. I’ve been very critical of him and would still like to see him play midfield more, but he has absolutely improved on 2018.
Those ratings systems love ‘impact on the contest’ and say why you will about Trav but he impacts

Oh, he impacts hard

I don't know the exact moment off me head but he's realising people can't tackle him when he doesn't want to be tackled. It was against Freo maybe where he saw a man infront of him on the members side boundary and just shimmied and went around him near side. All of a sudden once or twice a game now he's backing himself to break tackles. It could be the making of him, as soon as his decision making catches up with him by foot he will be a gun

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Glad i'm not on my 10+ years mac to view this, the amount of Gifs would have crashed it like BG32's avatar

Nothing compared to Wonna's threads. Used to be 95% gifs.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you cut his season in half you would have one terrible season and one great season. Shocking for the first couple of months but has moved through really solid to really good over the last couple.

If you cut his season in half you would have one terrible season and one great season. Shocking for the first couple of months but has moved through really solid to really good over the last couple.
Would love to get a fitter version who doesn’t do an ACL with pick 2 this year.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I know he has his detractors on here and some are quick to jump on him when he has a bad game but he has built some form the last 8 weeks;

Round 8 - 22 and 1.2
Round 9 - 17 and 2.2
Round 10 - 19 and 1.1
Round 11 - 18 and 1.0
Round 12 - 23 and 1.1
Round 13 - bye
Round 14 - 22 and 1.0
Round 15 - 22 and 2.1
Round 16 - 18 and 3.1

Round 17 - 22 and 1.1
Round 18 - 18 and 0.1
Round 19 - 20 and 3.0

Just to note for balance;

Round 1 - 15 and 1.1
Round 2 - 16 and 0.0
Round 3 - 16 and 1.0
Round 4 - 17 and 2.0
Round 5 - 21 and 1.0
Round 6 - 12 and 0.0
Round 7 - 11 and 0.1

A couple of solid games in rounds 4 and 5. What i think the first 7 rounds show is his inconsistency (where we also terrible a winning the footy and getting it in the forward half) - slightly improved since.

But since rounds 8 - 19 he has been a lot more consistent. Even the Eagles game he moved into the midfield after half time when Viney went down and had impact around the contest.

Back