Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Fantasia barely stepped on the field this year so he’s done well to be constantly abusing people on it. Could see him being very frustrated this year and perhaps regretting he turned down port’s offer (if that’s actually what happened).

could definitely see Shiel frustrated with how things have gone since he got here.

Wasn't in an AFL match, was in an intra club game.

Which is why it rubbed some team mates up the wrong way. And perhaps why he wasn't sighted much this season. Just from the information I was told it was more it was delivered in an arrogant put down way.

Which is why it rubbed some team mates up the wrong way. And perhaps why he wasn't sighted much this season. Just from the information I was told it was more it was delivered in an arrogant put down way.
Fantasia is one of the more liked characters in the group. Doubt it was him. From what few on here have said, Dylan was one of the more likable characters at GWS when he was there so safe to assume he's a popular figure here also (is in the leadership group so says something about him as a person).

edit. if we are talking about Dev, yeah, he's a little campaigner and can fully see him going campaigner even on his own team mates

Only required if we play him small forward... but doesn't have the elite pace you require these days. Can still be a very good player.

If there is anyone out of the smaller brigade we could move on and wriggle another top high pick with some fancy trades he'd be first on the list and daylight second.

Fantasia is one of the more liked characters in the group. Doubt it was him. From what few on here have said, Dylan was one of the more likable characters at GWS when he was there so safe to assume he's a popular figure here also (is in the leadership group so says something about him as a person).

edit. if we are talking about Dev, yeah, he's a little campaigner and can fully see him going campaigner even on his own team mates

Thing can change. People can change I guess.

Well aware of Smith and his personality as he came from Lara in the league my local club is in. Had a reputation of being a bit of a dick. Having said that when Lara was in a lot of trouble he would regularly come back to the club to help out and lend his time to juniors etc

Seems it's more a FIGJAM thing than anything malicious from what I was told.

Got to be more in it than just intranclub game, no one can be that sensitive. Reckon more related to behaviour in the hub. Not saying it’s not those players you mentioned

Got to be more in it than just intranclub game, no one can be that sensitive. Reckon more related to behaviour in the hub. Not saying it’s not those players you mentioned

Maybe just rubbed some players the wrong way and then being thrown into a hub it magnifies everything that annoys you about somebody when you're stuck in an environment like the hub.

Lost his speed
caleb Daniels got exposed that undersized defenders will be exposed in big matches
no big loss if he goes 3rd round would be the most you get

Smith has said himself he can have a short fuse and be demanding of teammates. Also said that in response to that, when he arrived Worsfold told him “to be himself”.

So not sure we’ve ever had a problem with it as a club.

He’s also in the leadership group which apparently Woosh always insisted was voted by the players.

Few people are suggesting Devon get back to his best post surgery. I don't think he ever could, not at Essendon. We are completely stiffling players careers and Devon looks to be one of them.

He played 16/17 games in 2020 so his body is holding up ok. He also showed he can still win the ball, and be effective in different roles.

If rumours are true and he wants out, we should absolutely be asking for a second rounder as a starting point.

Few people are suggesting Devon get back to his best post surgery. I don't think he ever could, not at Essendon. We are completely stiffling players careers and Devon looks to be one of them.

He played 16/17 games in 2020 so his body is holding up ok. He also showed he can still win the ball, and be effective in different roles.

If rumours are true and he wants out, we should absolutely be asking for a second rounder as a starting point.
If there is any interest from Geelong we could get a little win here. He still has good footy in him and could potentially take on Abletts role from next year. An early 2nd could be a win for both clubs.

If he wanted out and someone wanted him I would part with him for a pick around 30-35. I still think he could be handy but we have enough players of his type and he's not elite in the defensive pressure stakes anymore which was his real point of difference. Would free up some salary cap.

If he stays I didn't mind the move down back. It made sense with McKenna out of the team (plus now Saad gone). We certainly didn't need another small midfielder and we are reasonably well stocked for small forwards and guys who could play the role if required even with Mosquito injured. I've got high hopes for Cahill personally.

Smith has said himself he can have a short fuse and be demanding of teammates. Also said that in response to that, when he arrived Worsfold told him “to be himself”.

So not sure we’ve ever had a problem with it as a club.

He’s also in the leadership group which apparently Woosh always insisted was voted by the players.

To be fair, maybe this is the spark a lot of them might need?

It's a tough balance between all being friends, but also being honest with each other. If it's an intraclub, to me, that's fine. If it's a match with non-EFC people listening it's not.

There's also the strong likelihood that the person copping the "abuse" was worthy of the "advice" being dished out.

Just because somebody says they were offended, doesn't mean they didn't deserve to be.

Well Fantasia barely stepped on the field this year so he’s done well to be constantly abusing people on it. Could see him being very frustrated this year and perhaps regretting he turned down port’s offer (if that’s actually what happened).

could definitely see Shiel frustrated with how things have gone since he got here.

Shiel has been butchering the ball by foot for 2 years now.

I don't really get why would be frustrated with others?

He's on a mega contract and he isn't delivering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His effort has been good even if his use by foot hasn't, at least until around the North game. Then he looked like he stopped bothering with the team stuff and just ran around stat padding.

See above

Do wish he could do something about his kicking though. I think it did seem better at the start of the year...

If you think no club wants a player like dev you are clueless.

No club would want the Smith of 2019 and 2020. Do you?

That's the problem. He's moved to the retirement zone at half back because he doesn't seem capable of playing any other role.

The difference between Smith and Daniher, for example, is Smith's significantly diminished physical capacity. There is no suggestion based on his performances in 2019 and 2020 that Joe has lost even the slightest bit of his athleticism.

Doesn't mean Smith can't get it back but it means there is a significant risk that he wont and I doubt anyone is taking that risk.

That's the problem. He's moved to the retirement zone at half back because he doesn't seem capable of playing any other role.

I don't care if he goes, but he didn't "shop himself around". He wanted to get to one club in particular which didn't want/can't afford him. Now he stays

The difference between Smith and Daniher, for example, is Smith's significantly diminished physical capacity. There is no suggestion based on his performances in 2019 and 2020 that Joe has lost even the slightest bit of his athleticism.

Doesn't mean Smith can't get it back but it means there is a significant risk that he wont and I doubt anyone is taking that risk.

Agreed, he cant kick over a jam tin and has lost a yard of pace as a result of the knee. Those are bad signs for a player his age and size.

He barely played in ‘19 ...and the few games he did play he was influential eg the Dees win. Come back from PCL and struggled this season, harsh to write off though. Still has credits from ‘18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back