Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Who has he kept out of the side?
It’s not necessarily who he’s kept out it’s who we’ve had missing. Last year, had Daniher, Hooker, Ambrose, Heppell, Fantasia, Stringer and McKenna been available all at the same time he wouldn’t have been best 22. We would’ve had a completely different team day structure.

He certainly wouldn’t have taken McKenna’s position running off half back. They found a position for him. He was bog average until then and then did ok but he wasn’t the preferred option.

This year, had Heppell, Shiel and Caldwell been available against the Saints I’d argue he would’ve struggled to play. He played like a man that was told he was about to lose his spot.

It’s not necessarily who he’s kept out it’s who we’ve had missing. Last year, had Daniher, Hooker, Ambrose, Heppell, Fantasia, Stringer and McKenna been available all at the same time he wouldn’t have been best 22. We would’ve had a completely different team day structure.

He certainly wouldn’t have taken McKenna’s position running off half back. They found a position for him. He was bog average until then and then did ok but he wasn’t the preferred option.

This year, had Heppell, Shiel and Caldwell been available against the Saints I’d argue he would’ve struggled to play. He played like a man that was told he was about to lose his spot.
Striker Daniher, Hooker and Ambrose because none of them would've kicked him out of the side.

Zaharakis, Cutler, Redman, Snelling, Clarke, Ham, Hibber and Guelfi got games last year. He was better than all last year.

He's best 22.

It's 2 years for a 27/28 year old who's currently best 22. Par for the course business.

Striker Daniher, Hooker and Ambrose because none of them would've kicked him out of the side.

Zaharakis, Cutler, Redman, Snelling, Clarke, Ham, Hibber and Guelfi got games last year. He was better than all last year.

He's best 22.

It's 2 years for a 27/28 year old who's currently best 22. Par for the course business.
We’ll have to agree to disagree.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.
What are you disagreeing with exactly? He’s right. Smith was better than all of those mentioned in his second paragraph (which doesn’t say much for their form, but that’s not the point) and the talls obviously don’t come into the conversation.

With our form, even allowing for Smith’s below par form, there is no world where he hasn’t been best 22 since the beginning of 2020.

What are you disagreeing with exactly? He’s right. Smith was better than all of those mentioned in his second paragraph (which doesn’t say much for their form, but that’s not the point) and the talls obviously don’t come into the conversation.

With our form, even allowing for Smith’s below par form, there is no world where he hasn’t been best 22 since the beginning of 2020.
Re the talls not coming into conversation, I disagree. Our team structure would’ve changed completely.

B: Hurley Ambrose Saad
HB: Ridley Hooker McKenna
C: Redman Heppell Langford
HF: Stringer Stewart Parish
F: Fantasia Daniher Tipungwuti
Foll: Draper Merrett Shiel
Int: Zaharakis McGrath Francis McKernan

With Saad, Daniher, Fantasia, McKenna and McKernan gone, Hind, Wright, Jones, Caldwell and Cox come in.

You can argue Smith comes in for Zaharakis if you want but 2020 form it’d be a shitshow race for the number 22 spot.

Last edited:
The names mentioned in the second paragraph, with the exception of Zaharakis and Redman, they’re our VFL players. Had the list of players I’d mentioned been available they wouldn’t have got a game either. Redman was horrible last year and Zaharakis must have compromising photos.

If I was penning our best 22 Smith wouldn’t be in it and neither would the rest of the players mentioned in the second paragraph based off 2020 and 2021 form.
If Smith is better than all of our VFL players, doesn't that make him best 22 by default?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The names mentioned in the second paragraph, with the exception of Zaharakis and Redman, they’re our VFL players. Had the list of players I’d mentioned been available they wouldn’t have got a game either. Redman was horrible last year and Zaharakis must have compromising photos.

If I was penning our best 22 Smith wouldn’t be in it and neither would the rest of the players mentioned in the second paragraph based off 2020 and 2021 form.
They might not have got games in your ideal world but you named 4 blokes who were injured that potentially would've been better than Smith. I named 8 blokes who did get games who were worse than Smith.

For the hell of it pen our ideal best 22 from last year.

reluctant as I am to give any credit to the list management team, I really don't think they're breaking the bank to keep him. His contract won't be the reason we can't re-sign someone else and if he gets his body right he adds good value.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude.. will Devon play more midfield tonight since shiel is out?
gl tonight, hope u beat swans
Nothing different to his role last week.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude.. will Devon play more midfield tonight since shiel is out?
gl tonight, hope u beat swans
Probably not. We'll have Parish in the guts permanently you'd think.

Seems to be about once every 8 weeks in the last 3 seasons.
In fairness he did miss nearly all of 2019 and last year was unique to be coming back from serious knee injury

Keeps going out of his way to try and set up Waterman, Cox, Jones and Perkins in front of goal.

Undroppable as long as he’s this version of himself

Still plenty to give as long as he's been playing team-first football, which to his credit, he has been much better at doing this year.

He has burnt a couple teammates this year trying to go for the highlight reel goal and sure a couple times it has come off. If he can improve on that aspect of his game then happy to have him onboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back