Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the way he plays. Has an intensity around the ball and the man which can really lift the team.

Is pressure acts the stat that converts a total inability to impact the contest into a meaningful contribution?

Edit: it was like round 1 brought the heat and little Dev had no answer. We'll see how this plays out.

Think your preconceived ideas are clouding your judgement here . Smith wasnt dominant but to get 23 touches and the most clearances of any Essendon player suggests he was far from poor .

Of a player that was played predominately in the forward line last year I think he's picked up quicker than my expectations. You cannot expect a person with prior injury concerns to be our best midfielder round 1.

People with expectations of him being Jobe in his first actual full time midfielder game for ages are delusional.

To me better half dozen players on the night gets a tick from me first up.

Is pressure acts the stat that converts a total inability to impact the contest into a meaningful contribution?

Edit: it was like round 1 brought the heat and little Dev had no answer. We'll see how this plays out.
holy s**t, guy doesn't absolutely star but is actually really quite good, in a brilliant win, and you're sitting there potting him, whilst no doubt rubbing one out to your Lavarde poster whilst crying and wailing that it just isn't fair :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep hearing how he's going to improve the midfield.
He brings so much to our midfield. Not only the attacking aspect of it, but the defensive aspect as well. Big reason why we can get those repeat entries inside 50s that would have other wise ended up in Adelaide's forwardline.

Defensive pressure in the midfield was one of our big problems last year. The pressure he brings is very valuable.

We need more shiny new things. I respect your point about somebody gets the numbers, but i feel Smith is a better and more youthful player than a fair few on our list. Surely that's the type of player you improve a list with?

Then why does Dodoro say that we're recruiting him to add to our midfield?

I don't like getting stuck with superfluous players because we trade them in for the sake of it.

What happens when Myers comes back and gets 30 contested possessions a week in the VFL? Do we drop Langford, the other inside mid we need? We'll make a decision that upsets the balance of the side.

As for his inside work being better than Zaharakis, that's a bold claim (which I know you didn't make).

I don't understand what you're getting at here. Can you say what exactly he did or didn't do to make you come to this conclusion?

Then why does Dodoro say that we're recruiting him to add to our midfield?

I don't like getting stuck with superfluous players because we trade them in for the sake of it.

What happens when Myers comes back and gets 30 contested possessions a week in the VFL? Do we drop Langford, the other inside mid we need? We'll make a decision that upsets the balance of the side.

As for his inside work being better than Zaharakis, that's a bold claim (which I know you didn't make).
I'm happy for Smith to keep taking Colyers spot. If you look at it that way is it any better?

I love the addition of Smith. In fact our midfield really looks quite quick on the whole now. Only Heppell is slow. We don't have a Dangerfield explosive pace mid but we've got a lot of guys that are faster than average and can work both ways.

Smith is a good kick, gets plenty of the ball, helps out on the inside stuff and can play on the better mids of the opposition when required. This is stuff that we may not always want to throw onto McGrath and Parish just yet. I reckon over the course of the year he'll be our 3rd or 4th best midfielder. Pretty good for a second rounder in a weak draft.

Colyer is now probably only a depth option for forward or midfield. He'll still get games I'm sure during the year when fit because someone is always injured and he's a good runner but he's not first choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back