Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He's pretty manic at the ball and its very affective if his opponent isnt entirely balanced in their possession...

Loving his inclusion so far...

We need more players trying this hard and dare i say it, replicating the current premiers pressure style...

Then why does Dodoro say that we're recruiting him to add to our midfield?

I don't like getting stuck with superfluous players because we trade them in for the sake of it.

What happens when Myers comes back and gets 30 contested possessions a week in the VFL? Do we drop Langford, the other inside mid we need? We'll make a decision that upsets the balance of the side.

As for his inside work being better than Zaharakis, that's a bold claim (which I know you didn't make).
I'm going to thoroughly enjoy tagging you in this thread every week as Dev is killing it.

Edit: can someone tell me how you tag someone?

View attachment 474100

Seriously ... I hate when people say that they hated a player while on another team.
Now he’s a bomber he’s a top bloke and gun
Why?..I hate Sicily with a passion...now he is my SC team and he got me 120 now hes a top bloke and gun. OK I am off to the bathroom and going to wash my mouth out with soap for posting that crap.

I noticed there were several times he had the ball and looked up and saw no options. Instead of panicking and bombing it like we usually do, he'd look for a red sash and even if it was a 1v2 he's kick it to our advantage to force a stoppage rather than be intercepted. Good awareness and decision making by foot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

l respond as I see stuff that advances the discussion.

Question,

What were your expectations of Smith? And further to that, bearing in mind we've only played one game, what were your expectations of him for that one game?

Boy am I happy with this pick up, looked the goods on friday night. Considering its only his 3rd run around with the boys, 23 touches and a bunch of tackles is a great return.

Question,

What were your expectations of Smith? And further to that, bearing in mind we've only played one game, what were your expectations of him for that one game?

BrunoV

BrunoV
Something from Kafka for you: ‘In the struggle between yourself and the world, side with the world.‘
In this case, I side with the world, aka consensus reality. I understand your concerns regarding team balance, but having been drafted (or traded), and then selected, a player can only play as well as they are able - and I agree with others that he played pretty well and added to an area where we have lacked recently (defensive pressure in the midfield).

I think the whole question mark regarding the suitable size of players in the midfield is partially incorrect. Yes it is true that you need a couple of big bodies, but after that it is a question of the style of smaller mids that you have. What we need and what we actually have is a bunch of fearless and ferocious smaller mids. None of Smith, Parish, Zach and McGrath take a backwards step at the contest and that's pretty much what counts. I think round one demonstrated that reality. At the centre bounce you do need a couple of bigger players and it was great to see Stringer effective in that role.

Don't get me wrong - I still reckon inside grunt~size will prove an issue for us this year.
And The Iron Sheik being a bit wrong in his appraisal of Smith is only conspicuous because it stands out against a backdrop of stout and eloquent paragraphs, always well written and well argued. Anyway, don't mind me some contrariness - that's what makes eth-dog entertaining :grimacing:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back