Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

A player who's clearly affected by a degenerative knee condition.
It's not the worst signing in the world as I'm guessing it's less money for job security, however, to act like it's par for the course is a bit odd.
You'd think most clubs would sign one year to see how he fares, it's not like he's going anywhere.
Wasn’t it a PCL issue he had even before his major PCL injury in ‘19? Thought that op sorted out longer term issues

A player who's clearly affected by a degenerative knee condition.
It's not the worst signing in the world as I'm guessing it's less money for job security, however, to act like it's par for the course is a bit odd.
You'd think most clubs would sign one year to see how he fares, it's not like he's going anywhere.
I'd be curious how many 27/28 year olds that are best 22 are getting 1 year deals from other clubs?

The reaction of all the boys on social media suggest he's a very popular member of the group.

Even if he isn't the best on game day, having a character like him around the club would be doing a lot for morale.

The reaction of all the boys on social media suggest he's a very popular member of the group.

Even if he isn't the best on game day, having a character like him around the club would be doing a lot for morale.
He has a hard edge that isn't necessarily ubiquitous at Essendon, so I think the years/dollars is probably fine, but the timing is a little odd.

Along with the rumour of Brayden Ham being resigned, I wonder if we're trying to sign them up earlier just in case we get another blackout and can't resign anyone until October again.

Also possible that this is our way of managing the 5% pay-cut, instead of cutting it all from 2021 or doing a blanket cut for the entire playing group as some clubs have done, they'll re-sign and take the cut over the life of the contract instead.

He has a hard edge that isn't necessarily ubiquitous at Essendon, so I think the years/dollars is probably fine, but the timing is a little odd.

Along with the rumour of Brayden Ham being resigned, I wonder if we're trying to sign them up earlier just in case we get another blackout and can't resign anyone until October again.

Also possible that this is our way of managing the 5% pay-cut, instead of cutting it all from 2021 or doing a blanket cut for the entire playing group as some clubs have done, they'll re-sign and take the cut over the life of the contract instead.
There are still a lot of key signings to happen, may as well get them started.

I wish all AFL player salaries were public knowledge so we could REALLY go off half cocked about list decisions

The sense that Dev might have been cheap is softening my rage

Don't feel strongly about it either way. Ideally you'd wait a bit longer to see if he's still capable of performing to a decent standard consistently, but if it's on a reduced salary and for some reason a necessary domino for other signings you can justify it.

IF he can't get back to near his best consistently (which I think is likely), then I could see him finding a niche as a semi-regular medical sub. His skillset and experience should lend itself to being able to make an impact and not playing full games every week could help his knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played very well last weekend. Do they come good every so often?
I would be more inclined to assess his work over a larger sample than a single game we won by 75 points....

Let’s see what happens. I love the bloke as a footballer and would Love to be wrong.But my view is that he is in decline, will struggle to stay best 22 and we could have waited for things to play out before we did this.

Has he been best 22 though since his return?

Moot point, he’s been re-signed.
Considering we’ve had stellar players the calibre of Jacob Townsend, Tom Cutler, Josh Begley, Mitch Hibberd and Kobe Mutch selected at times since the beginning of 2020, yes he has been best 22 comfortably even allowing for his mediocre form.

The reaction to this is pretty bizarre.

Last edited:
Stoked they see him in our future. Need a few guys with hard egde. Be awesome if he gets back to 2018 form.

Considering we’ve had stellar players the calibre of Jacob Townsend, Tom Cutler, James Begley, Mitch Hibberd and Kobe Mutch selected at times since the beginning of 2020, yes he has been best 22 comfortably even allowing for his mediocre form.

The reaction to this is pretty bizarre.
Josh Begley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back