Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

05 - Smith.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
Last Game Played: Round 11, 2022 (inj)
Injury Status: Mid-season knee surgery no time frame yet - 15/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2022 and 23? Any number of recruits/draftees.
Are they? Even if we draft some kid next year who's output is greater than Smith's from round 1 (and there's no guarantee of that) there's plenty of players on the list that offer far less than Smith and will depart before he does.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Are they? Even if we draft some kid next year who's output is greater than Smith's from round 1 (and there's no guarantee of that) there's plenty of players on the list that offer far less than Smith and will depart before he does.

I suppose without knowing what the 2 year deal was, I probably shouldn't denounce it. If he's on middling money, then keeping him on the list is not really an issue. He has become quite a frustrating player, in that the difference from his best and worst is quite wide. Looking at selection now, they do seem to be rewarding performance (and youth), so if there's someone better in the two's and he's not performing, he'll get dropped. Hopefully he does perform.

Nicholas61

All Australian
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
That's what trade period and the draft are for.

If he isn’t doing much offensively as well as defensively (with the exception of the odd match) then finding someone who does the basics such as being able to chase, stick tackles game in game out shouldn’t be the hardest thing to find - ie the meat and spud type role player you speak off that Dodoro has been loath to select.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
An incredibly concerning drop off in output. Getting in the way of key forwards and being typically selfish when it comes to the way he's playing his football.
On top of this showing nil leadership on field. Really not good enough.

For mine he gets a chance to step up this week or he can kiss his arse bye to the magoos for a worthy stint.

The guy can play so much better than what he is.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
He's always playing right on the edge....like in that awkward zone that flirts between being ultra aggressive and having our free kicks reversed or handing them cheap downfield frees.

Not sure he can play any other way with his body issues so I guess it is what it is, take the good with the bad and hope it dosent cost us a close game one week, I spose

Didn't get a lot of the ball, but 10 tackles with 6 inside 50 is the team focused stuff the coaches will love. That's the effort that we want, won't be given the vest next week off the back of today's game.

He wasn't great. Maybe time for him to be a sub?
He was a very big reason we had such good forward half pressure. 10 tackles as a small forward (6 inside 50). Helps Walla a massive amount. Not sure you are seeing the full picture here. His attacking form may not be scintillating but he has been very good with his forward pressure. Sub. No thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a very big reason we had such good forward half pressure. 10 tackles as a small forward (6 inside 50). Helps Walla a massive amount. Not sure you are seeing the full picture here. His attacking form may not be scintillating but he has been very good with his forward pressure. Sub. No thanks.
6 tackles inside 50? Damn, didn't realise that.

He took his angry pills today, and wanted to hurt people in the tackles. Even Stringer didn’t say anything when he burnt him on the lead and blazed for goal.
Nearly gave away frees a couple of times when the Pies didn't give the ball back fast enough for his liking too. Definitely in overdrive.

Smith and Snelling really look to be driving the forward pressure train at the moment, moreso than AMT now to be honest.

I really hate it when he does selfish stuff and doesn’t play percentages but today was really good. Real intent, probably deserves a bit more reward for effort, which is the nature of the role I guess

Jul 4, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
You'd take this type of game every round. He was great and I felt like he played within his physical limits.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Smith and Snelling really look to be driving the forward pressure train at the moment, moreso than AMT now to be honest.

I really hate it when he does selfish stuff and doesn’t play percentages but today was really good. Real intent, probably deserves a bit more reward for effort, which is the nature of the role I guess
Snelling for me, his best game in Essendon colours.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Do we have anyone to bring in for Dev as he's been putrid tonight and deserves to be dropped
This is why I'm not coach. Was good yesterday, chalk and cheese compared to last week. Needs to bottle that intent and bring it every week.

The only issue with Dev now is making sure he brings that pressure every week. At the moment he's very hot and cold, but if he can keep that effort from yesterday up then I see no issue with him continuing in the role he has.

Back