Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Also how's the workrate of Merrett, He actually kept going after the burn and was the last Bomber trying to lay a tackle on the 2 dogs in the goal square.

The idea of Smith playing "on the edge" is baseless. Guys like Redman, Draper and Laverde do, but giving away silly free kicks and 50m penalties isn't playing on the edge, it's playing over it.

Agree with this.

Want to play “on the edge”? Put your head over it and stop being a s**t campaigner Dev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gets worse with every viewing. He should be dropped.

What in the actual *.

He didn't just have Merrett already straightened up and on the run, he had Wright sitting on his own too!

Someone needs to tap him on the shoulder and tell him it's time to go to the 2's and earn his spot.

Absolutely disgusting. It's bad enough to give away so many frees, but to literally play selfish/dumb footy like that with the game on the line, it almost makes you think he's intentionally being a troll and sabotaging us from within.

What in the actual fu**.

He didn't just have Merrett already straightened up and on the run, he had Wright sitting on his own too!

Someone needs to tap him on the shoulder and tell him it's time to go to the 2's and earn his spot.

Absolutely disgusting. It's bad enough to give away so many frees, but to literally play selfish/dumb footy like that with the game on the line, it almost makes you think he's intentionally being a troll and sabotaging us from within.

And he had Walla.

And he had Walla.

This is what happens when a player has so many chances despite so many * ups. They end up playing like they can do whatever they want and be lazy, with no fear for their spot.

And in turn, what does it do to the rest of the playing group? It lowers morale, makes you stare blankly in disbelief, makes you question your barometer, and makes you ask yourself, "what's the point?"

Dropping Smith in order for him to earn his spot isn't just helpful to the game result, or a woke moment for Dev - it's also a prerogative for the good of the team structure.

The fact that it hasn't happened by now either makes me think he's a decorated hypnotist, or wears camo at the review meeting. There's no other explanation, it beggars belief.

His decline has been obvious for a while. It was bizarre to me that so many here defended giving him two years not that long ago.

The good news is it’s just a matter of time….With Perkins, Jones, McGrath, Caldwell, Langford and Heppell missing it’s clear he’ll be squeezed out soon enough.

What in the actual fu**.

Ouch that's pretty awful viewing. I mean I could cop it a little better if he was on his right side and able to make the distance but geez just give the handball to a free Merrett on his left.

I'm genuinely a fan of players not messing around too much with the ball when they are within range of goals and just going for the goal unless there's a free target but when you can't make the goals on your opposite foot and you have an easy target to pass too, it gets embarassing quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He shouldn't be in the side.

Was it his injuries that have changed him/his style of play or was his B+F year just a one hit wonder? Not sure I've seen a player just decline.

Pity we can't trade him.

Better game from Devon. A little less selfish... although, if i see him run around the back of an Essendon player screaming for the hand off whilst they're lining up for goal, I'll spew up. Took it off Clark e in the 3rd qtr, then missed convincingly. yuck.

Better game from Devon. A little less selfish... although, if i see him run around the back of an Essendon player screaming for the hand off whilst they're lining up for goal, I'll spew up. Took it off Clark e in the 3rd qtr, then missed convincingly. yuck.
I saw him complete one unselfish act. I remembered because he does it so rarely.

We need teamwork to win a flag.

Is going to have to get his body right as there will be a line of players going past him at a rapid rate. Has probably been lucky the injury list has been as long as it has been.

I think he's finally woken up since that selfish shot at goal against the WB when he has 2-3 better options - either woken up to it himself, or someone within the club's had a word to him. Looks to be making conscious, selfless decisions.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back