Retired # 5: Devon Smith - Hanging up the boots - Thanks for everything Devon! - 12/8

05 - Smith.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
Last Game Played: Round 11, 2022 (inj)
Injury Status: Mid-season knee surgery no time frame yet - 15/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited by a moderator:
Missing a PCL for athletes isn't unheard of. Number of NFL players don't have them and some high level skiers.

PCL surgery is incredibly invasive due to where it is located and can result in damage to other areas.

You can miss the PCL but it puts force through other areas of the knee which can cause issues. Dev would be suffering from those now. Still plenty of football left for him.

Strong quads, other muscles and ligaments

Yeah reading further seems you can. Calvin Johnson who’s a future NFL Hall of Fame certainty played without one for last few years and he was still highly effective. He was a receiver as well so speed doesn’t seem to diminish either judging by him.

Yeah reading further seems you can. Calvin Johnson who’s a future NFL Hall of Fame certainty played without one for last few years and he was still highly effective. He was a receiver as well so speed doesn’t seem to diminish either judging by him.

Yep, though I'd suggest it's the after career quality of life that suffers. Arthritis etc.

Just read that he's going to need surgery and will miss roughly 6-8 weeks.

Waiting on official word from the club first, but if true, 2019 is a balls-up already

Yep I just read the same thing

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/b597d09ecebbe68829bb918a3e131c29

Injuries aren't an excuse Look at richmond but by God we aren't a good enough team to cover these
Mate I'll be honest, after the silence from the club regarding the bullshit decisions last week and the feeble "oh well them's the breaks" approach to the crap we've had to endure from the league, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up just forfeiting the rest of the season.*

Seriously disillusioned at the moment.

* -Of course this is tongue in cheek

Yeah it’s coming from the weekly press conference this morning;

Sounds like surgery is inevitable but whether he goes in now or continues to try and manage it (if that’s even possible with this type of injury)...

Mate I'll be honest, after the silence from the club regarding the ******** decisions last week and the feeble "oh well them's the breaks" approach to the crap we've had to endure from the league, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up just forfeiting the rest of the season.*

Did you see Woosha on talking footy? Spoke at length about the decisions. Or do you mean the week before?

KevDawg posted an article from it this morning in the autopsy

Mate I'll be honest, after the silence from the club regarding the ******** decisions last week and the feeble "oh well them's the breaks" approach to the crap we've had to endure from the league, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up just forfeiting the rest of the season.*

It is deflating. Looking at it I wanted a clean run we either make finals or not and then we assess the coach on what we have produced.

At this rate as I said we aren't good enough to cover these outs and if we go and turf the coach for not making finals we have a new regime come in which requires further adjustment which pushes some of our best players into retirement.

The right thing to do is to support the team and hope we can get something out of this year but by God it's hard because we can all see which way the winds are blowing.

Did you see Woosha on talking footy? Spoke at length about the decisions. Or do you mean the week before?

I actually really liked how he spoke on that show, actually felt pretty good about things but looking at our injuries and where we sit, by God it hurts

I actually really liked how he spoke on that show, actually felt pretty good about things but looking at our injuries and where we sit, by God it hurts
It’s ****ed.. but yeah. Not super confident about much atm, expectations fairly low. Hopefully Daniher in helps and then next week Mckernan should be back. Don’t know if that’s enough but it’s a start.

KevDawg posted an article from it this morning in the autopsy
Did see that just now, yeah; I'm more talking about the silence from the actual club, the board, Xavier himself; as others have mentioned, Kennett or Maguire, while they are big-headed flogjockeys, would not remain silent over this.

If the league isn't called out for their garbage by the clubs it directly effects, then they're not going to change.

Did see that just now, yeah; I'm more talking about the silence from the actual club, the board, Xavier himself; as others have mentioned, Kennett or Maguire, while they are big-headed flogjockeys, would not remain silent over this.

If the league isn't called out for their garbage by the clubs it directly effects, then they're not going to change.
I get what you’re saying. I have to wonder whether the league would respond to us the way they do to McGuire though or if they’d just hit us even harder next week. It’s not like Tanner has been photographed kissing the top of Gil’s head recently....

I get what you’re saying. I have to wonder whether the league would respond to us the way they do to McGuire though or if they’d just hit us even harder next week. It’s not like Tanner has been photographed kissing the top of Gil’s head recently....
It's at the point where I'm worrying about the club at a corporate level. Just being willing to bend over and cop a reaming from the powers that be is a horrible look, and it's turning people away.

We keep it up, and membership will drop next year, almost guaranteed.

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
It's at the point where I'm worrying about the club at a corporate level. Just being willing to bend over and cop a reaming from the powers that be is a horrible look, and it's turning people away.

I'm prepared to hand mine back now.
This club has been spineless and walked over for 20 years. It's never changing

I understand why we are doing it publicly, I don't like it but I understand why.

Mate maybe you should take a week or two off footy.

As much as flogs like Barrett would like to think so, I don't think the media is the correct channel for the club dealing with the league. All that would achieve would the league getting off-side and trying to protect its image. I'm perfectly fine with club dealing directly, so what if we don't get to hear it?

Mate maybe you should take a week or two off footy.
I have been a bit negative this past week. My bad, pregnant wife, little sleep, sickness, Dane Rampe.

I have been a bit negative this past week. My bad, pregnant wife, little sleep, sickness, Dane Rampe.

Make sure you are looking after yourself mate.

Yeah it's just you seem to be taking this hard. It's only a game ;)

Just a quiet word, but consider this lots of sleep compared to when your wife all of a sudden becomes unpregnant.
The new neighbours, who are up, loudly, all night, until 5am, disagree a bit.

This is what I get for living in the outer eastern suburbs where you don't fit in unless you drive a VN Commodore with a mirror missing.

I digress, how's Dev's knee?

Back