Toast 5 favourite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
The GF has got us all in a fairly dour mood. Oh when will it be our time.....

In the meantime post your 2017 five favourite moments/plays/games/players/whatever.

1. The Bulldogs game. After the horrors of 2016 none of us thought in our worst nightmares that it would get worse. Enter rounds 1&2, yikes. Then finally comes the youth. How happy we all were after those first few goals, taking the game on with some energy, players looked like they were enjoying themselves.

2. Ice man Mundy sealing the win against Richmond. The low of thinking we lost it instantly followed by the highs. I was watching at work and made quite a commotion when he kicked it.

3. Tabs v Essendon. His first game of the year and he dominated, at the time I was absolutely stoked.

4. 3rd qtr against Melbourne. Pressure, good quick ball movement, goals.

5. Darcy's debut. The worries of Freo post-Sandi evaporated within an instant.

Thinking over the season we did have quite a few high points and some of our kids have come on in leaps and bounds.

I think you've fairly much nailed it.

The 3rd quarter against Melbourne has to be my high point.

The only extra I would add is Connor, Connor, Connor.

Missed the middle part of the season due to me going away so I might miss a few things.

1. Seeing glimpses of fast transition from the back line to the forward line with good link up play. The Melbourne game was a great start.

2. When the youth were given a go and were generally persisted with during the season, you could see that for the most part they were really enjoying their footy. It was exciting to see guys take the game on and use there own flare.

3. Darcy is just awesome, absolutely love the guy and I know its the steal of the draft.

4. Mundy being the absolute stone cold killer against Richmond

5. Although there is nothing written down on paper right now,players want to play for us out of the two WA teams which is a good sign. Our list is in a really good age demographic and I think we can give it a crack over the next few years if we keep at it.

Walters v St Kilda would have to be up there for me (round 15). Probably the best individual performance by a Docker this season, even though we lost the game. 32 disposals and 6 goals playing as a mid! Went from elite small forward to an elite midfielder that game. Hughes was sensational that game as well.

Walters v St Kilda would have to be up there for me (round 15). Probably the best individual performance by a Docker this season, even though we lost the game. 32 disposals and 6 goals playing as a mid! Went from elite small forward to an elite midfielder that game. Hughes was sensational that game as well.
Urgh, how did I forget that!

Yeah, Hughes' season as a whole was very promising and I've done a complete 180 on him.

The 5 things that I enjoyed watching this season (No order):

1. Ethan Hughes' season
2. Connor Blakelys' season
3. The revelation of Sean Darcy
4. Michael Walters v Saints
5. Harley Bennells' return to AFL level

1. Win against Western Bulldogs- playing the kids. It was a blessing in disguise that we got pumped by Port after we were humbled at home against Geelong. From that game on, it was all about the youth.
Great ball movements, skills were there. Just a cracking game

2. Harley Bennell's return- finally after so long. And his first goal gave me goosebumps, the crowd was ecstatic too. Great story, and he's set for a huge pre season and 2018.

3. Wins away from Home- we loss only ONCE in Melbourne. Defeated Melbourne, Richmond, North Melbourne in cracking style. Got so close against Geelong. If not SonSon got his goal. Bodes well for the young group. Have a great attitude and togetherness going forward

4. Debuts for Darcy, De Luca, Nyhuis, Logue, Balic, Cox, Ryan.
Such a great young group coming through. Darcy is going to be something. Luke Ryan was impressive to end the season. Just young players being blooded.

5. Return of Nat Fyfe and first year of Captaincy
Personal favourite of mine. Slow coming back early, but he found his way at the end. Boy watch out 2018. 15 votes in Brownlow isn't too shabby. Have a great leader for the youth coming through. Lots to like from Fyfe

1. Nyhuis 4 goal debut
2. Sean Darcy (in particular shhhing the crowd)
3. Walters in the midfield
4. Hamling and Brad Hill making an immediate impact
5. Harley finally debuting in purple
6. Eagles getting bundled out of the finals

1. Nyhuis 4 goal debut
2. Sean Darcy (in particular shhhing the crowd)
3. Walters in the midfield
4. Hamling and Brad Hill making an immediate impact
5. Harley finally debuting in purple
6. Eagles getting bundled out of the finals
My top 5 would be;
1. Eagles getting bundled out of the finals
2. Eagles getting bundled out of the finals
3. Eagles getting bundled out of the finals
4. Eagles getting bundled out of the finals
5. Eagles getting bundled out of the finals
And for next season...
Eagles failing to make the cut to be bundled out of the finals!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* me, a thread on our season highlights and we can't go more than a page without talking about the Eagles.

Most of the top 5 have been covered, I'd say Mundy breaking Tiger hearts (albeit temporarily in the grander scheme) has to be the moment.

Shame we fell away towards the end of the year as there were some genuinely cracking games we played in the first few months.

1. Our win vs the Bulldogs with all the young boys playing with so much energy and excitement. Followed by winning our next 6 out of 7 games, all in cracking style. The win against Melbourne and and Norf. We were in the 8 very briefly. Felt like we were well and truly on the right path

2. David Mundy v Richmond. I've watched the ending of that like 20 times now. Special clearance from Neale too. Fantastic. Can't believe in the same year Richmond choked three games in a row in the classic Richmond way they know that they won the premiership!

3. Sean Darcy everything. We have a serious talent here. Robbed of a Rising Star nom but should go well next year. Such a beast already and will continue to get better. He will be the best ruckman in the league at some stage.

4. Ryan Nyhuis 4 goals on debut. How exciting for the young guy. Never played forward in his life!

5. Fyfe re-signing! St Kilda crying about it.

The GF has got us all in a fairly dour mood. Oh when will it be our time.....

In the meantime post your 2017 five favourite moments/plays/games/players/whatever.

1. The Bulldogs game. After the horrors of 2016 none of us thought in our worst nightmares that it would get worse. Enter rounds 1&2, yikes. Then finally comes the youth. How happy we all were after those first few goals, taking the game on with some energy, players looked like they were enjoying themselves.

2. Ice man Mundy sealing the win against Richmond. The low of thinking we lost it instantly followed by the highs. I was watching at work and made quite a commotion when he kicked it.

3. Tabs v Essendon. His first game of the year and he dominated, at the time I was absolutely stoked.

4. 3rd qtr against Melbourne. Pressure, good quick ball movement, goals.

5. Darcy's debut. The worries of Freo post-Sandi evaporated within an instant.

Thinking over the season we did have quite a few high points and some of our kids have come on in leaps and bounds.

1 being at the MCG when we beat the Tigers
2 Mr Darcy.....just love this guy.
3 Ryan. Looks like a draft steal
4 Mundy, McCarthy and Kersten having the ability to kick a game winning goal
5 Fyfe getting back to his best

Honorable mentions to Blakley and Bennel. And the Lamb roasts.

1. Sean Darcy
2. Liam Ryan
3. Joel Hamling
4. Ryan Nyhuis debut destroying Roos.
5. Win against Bulldogs after start to season/ the saltyness over Peels second premiership.
5.1 Mundy at MCG dumping on Richmond what Adelaide should have in GF.
Liam Ryan - for being a total non event for Subi in our GF win? :p

1 throwing the remote @ the TV but clipping a stack of DVDs that took
a bit of sting out of it

2 the day we got our cox out

3 the last game at subi****ing aco

4 peel annoying everyone

5 actually starting that rebuild

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know a good ebay seller; i've given him a lot of business over the years, PM if interested.

Liam Ryan - for being a total non event for Subi in our GF win? :p
Old-Spice-Guy-Head-Nod.gif

I really have got a fair amount of joy over Peel's win trolling at work... more than is healthy probably. :drunk:

I should say Luke Ryan goes alright.:thumbsupemoji::sunglasses::thumbsupemoji:

Harley Bennells' return to AFL level is the most exciting to me. I genuinely think he's our best overall player. I pray he gets to play a full season next year to prove his ability.

1. Our win vs the Bulldogs with all the young boys playing with so much energy and excitement. Followed by winning our next 6 out of 7 games, all in cracking style. The win against Melbourne and and Norf. We were in the 8 very briefly. Felt like we were well and truly on the right path

2. David Mundy v Richmond. I've watched the ending of that like 20 times now. Special clearance from Neale too. Fantastic. Can't believe in the same year Richmond choked three games in a row in the classic Richmond way they know that they won the premiership!

3. Sean Darcy everything. We have a serious talent here. Robbed of a Rising Star nom but should go well next year. Such a beast already and will continue to get better. He will be the best ruckman in the league at some stage.

4. Ryan Nyhuis 4 goals on debut. How exciting for the young guy. Never played forward in his life!

5. Fyfe re-signing! St Kilda crying about it.

I have said this before and Will say it again... That Win over the Dogs at Subiaco in round 3 was not just Freos best win this year, but the most important one this season as well. To go from being Belted by Port by 89 points with old and lazy squad to 6 days later against the 2016 premiers in the dogs with a young and determined team was nothing short but brilliant. It was a huge Psychological win too that game.

That win brought a massive surge of confidence in that club and had a positive domino effect for the rest of the season.

Saying that, Look at the 1st year players we used...

Griffin Logue: 13 games
Sean Darcy: 8 games
Harley Balic: 4 games
Brennan Cox: 10 games
Luke Ryan : 11 games
Josh Deluca: 4 games
Ryan Nyhuis: 4 games

Glad we got some games to some 1st year players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back