AFL Autopsy 5 goal loss to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

People tend to get a bit hysterical when Essendon are involved since we're the most hated club in the league.
they can't handle our broad sex appeal
North Melbourne Afl GIF by NMFCOfficial

What a bunch of sooks. It's been about 20 years since the opposition complained about a tough Essendon. They criticise Essendon for being soft and now all of a sudden it's too much?

I hope Scott instructs them to keep at it by physically hurting St Kilda players. I want to see it every week.
Totally agree.

Sydney have made everyone look s**t on transition this year. We are just another scalp.

It is not all doom and gloom (yet).
They won't win a premiership off the back of transitioning (come finals, the better teams just won't turn it over).

Okay so I have had another look at the game and my view is we did a lot right but a few of the usual issues did bite us on the ass.

They did slice and dice us for a lot of the game but I do not think it was totally our bad defense. Yes we need to find another two levels as far as defending the ground goes but the Swans kicked the footy bloody well at times. I also had a look at the Swans - Melbourne mini on Kayo for a bit of reference and they sliced Melbourne a few times in the same way although not as many times.

I have been vocal on our forward line mix and the lack of speed and forward pressure. 5.7 kicked from transition out of our back half. It rated as the 4th worst effort from us since 2018. There is not real short term fix for this as we do not currently have the stock. Maybe Davey and Davey can save us at some stage but they may still be more year 3 or 4 prospects which is not unusual for the slightly built Indigenous small forwards.
I still think the future only includes one of Gresham / Guelfi / Menzie. I also tink the only way Langford and Stringer both work will be if we find a strong marking target to play FF. Maybe that is Caddy. It is not Peter Wright. 2MP can still play a role as forward / second ruck going forward but he can not be the anchor FF. He gets run off the ball too easily.
For Wright he needs to playing forward pocket and leading fat side.

The midfield mix is on the improve. Still some fine tuning on the defending front but it looks better.

Back six is what it is. Would be nice to have all hands on deck.

Last edited:
I agree ant555, I reckon a lot of our ugly "transition defence" is being caught out of position when we're turning over the footy in the front half and also our poor F50 pressure to retain it in there when it hits the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back