AFL Autopsy 5 goal loss to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest did anyone else with Kayo feel like the sound was way out of synch? Even with marks it sounded like the whistle was blowing a good 2-3 seconds before the player got the ball.
Yep

Team culture was so bad wouldn’t have done much. Merrett got kicked out of the leadership group for having suggested it. Stringers got the edge but not the tank
The problem is if you have a list that innately cannot defend and you finally get a decent coach/setup you are at least many years behind because the cattle aren't there to do the essential of the modern game - close down space, defend and tackle that is an important half of the equation. The fact we have had so many coaches and staff (even guys who had success as assistants and renowned like Blake) and it isn't changing it must come down to personnel as opposed to not being taught. It makes more sense considering Mahoney had a go at Dodoro for bringing in low IQ players.

Papley on Essendon - above.

Papley on Papley - below.
"I'm usually a bit of an annoying little pr**k on the field so I wasn't too sure how the other players would treat me, but the guys were great," he said with a grin.

No chance he’d feel any hyprocrachy in his post game comments.

Out of interest did anyone else with Kayo feel like the sound was way out of synch? Even with marks it sounded like the whistle was blowing a good 2-3 seconds before the player got the ball.
Yes. When we were about to take a mark and the whistle went a second earlier I was expecting to hear "Free kick Sydney".

How many weeks does Heeney get for backhanding Wright in the face off the ball? Given the change in the interpretation from MRO in the offseason, and the statements from Brad Scott accepting that any hit high off the ball is graded as an intentional strike, my guess is he won't even get cited as the AFL's Sydney poster boy

I was at the game but I've noticed a few times already this season when Kayo is out of sync and I have to go out and go back in to get it back in sync.

a truly wonderful service

True my expectations are at the point where I can handle competitive losses it’s the blowouts that bother me these days.

I’m still worried at some stage we are going to fall off a cliff like we have in the past but until that happens I’m going to remain positive. It’s a low bar I know.
Yeah I'm aware I'm overly negative at the moment. They've worn me down.

I must be missing something, but why exactly do you expect you can run back with the flight in front of a 100kg brick shithouse who's running at the ball and not expect to die? What should have sauce done, not brace for impact?
Lead with his head and get himself concussed.
Seems? I think he is a huge flog. Pity Kelly was out as he seems to have his number.
Yeah but it's hard to defend Papley from a wing. Smrt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was especially bad this game.

I might be talking out of my arse here but it seemed like the tactic was to push up the ground into the last 1/3 when the ball was in our forward line. It perhaps was an attempt to get numbers around the ball to lock it in and risk it getting out the back. So the risk outweighed the reward.

OR, Sydney forwards pushed way back and our defenders were just following them without holding any structure.

What we also got smashed with was their running patterns out of their backline. They had such a good way of creating space to find a free player. It totally sucked us in.
That's how I saw it. As we pushed up they found an outnumber, maybe Marti
That's good. Looking forward to playing them again.

Lead with his head and get himself concussed.

Yeah but it's hard to defend Papley from a wing. Smrt.
The AFL is protecting the ball carrier/winner but not doing anything for the bloke attacking the contest either.

More and more players are going to enter the AFL with little regard for ones own safety, Joel Selwood style

Genuine question, what other choice did Wright have? He either had to do what he did, or he had to totally pull out of the contest and avoid all contact. Bit of overreaction for mine
Unfortunately doesnt matter. Leave the ground and you own the action now
Unless you're in a gf the following week or play for the carlton lawyers.

Will miss a chunk....hopefully only 2. But suspect its 3.

Unfortunately doesnt matter. Leave the ground and you own the action now
Unless you're in a gf the following week or play for the carlton lawyers.

Will miss a chunk....hopefully only 2. But suspect its 3.

Agree, think it’ll be 3. Bit of a lose-lose for him, if he pulls out of that contest he gets abused for being soft.

Am I being one-eyed, or did he more brace himself for the contact rather than deliberately flatten him out..?

Think this would be the long term view he's talking about though. Caddy doesn't need to be rushed for a few early wins

Would it be ‘rushing’ him though? All the talk pre-draft was that he was one of the most ready-made players. He plays the position, he’s in better form the Jones and Weideman. We shouldn’t just not play him because of his DOB

Agree, think it’ll be 3. Bit of a lose-lose for him, if he pulls out of that contest he gets abused for being soft.

Am I being one-eyed, or did he more brace himself for the contact rather than deliberately flatten him out..?
Definitely braces for the contest when he realises he's not getting to the ball.

Better to go full mumford and go chest first

Definitely braces for the contest when he realises he's not getting to the ball.

Better to go full mumford and go chest first

I just think all the criticism’s been a bit harsh - I don’t think he was looking to hurt him.

Anyway, is what it is.

Hopefully he only gets a couple of weeks.

How many weeks does Heeney get for backhanding Wright in the face off the ball? Given the change in the interpretation from MRO in the offseason, and the statements from Brad Scott accepting that any hit high off the ball is graded as an intentional strike, my guess is he won't even get cited as the AFL's Sydney poster boy
he shouldn't have had his head were heeny's hand was going, simple as that mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back