Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

This link was posted on Swans facebook group

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Easy to forget how incredible some of the things he does are. Still hasn't become what we hope and dream of but I reckon he will just slowly continue to improve. Not the sort of explosive impact I was hoping for at this stage, of his career but his hands are just too good and he has such a heavy strong frame that he likes to throw around.

Heeney Parker Mills Dawson Hewett Florent could be a pretty handy midfield in about 2 years.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Easy to forget how incredible some of the things he does are. Still hasn't become what we hope and dream of but I reckon he will just slowly continue to improve. Not the sort of explosive impact I was hoping for at this stage, of his career but his hands are just too good and he has such a heavy strong frame that he likes to throw around.

Heeney Parker Mills Dawson Hewett Florent could be a pretty handy midfield in about 2 years.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
maybe next year :) ?

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Heeney's an A Grader. I just don't think his game today suits midfield. That may well change with a more offensive midfield set up (Naismith) but as it stands, he hurts the opposition far more on a half forward flank. Similar with Mills. People seem to want to force him into the midfield as though his class will be replicated in there. I don't think it necessarily will. Again, it might with more offensive taps going our way but right now, it's just shifting class away from where class counts.

Still away from becoming an A grader

Yeah but on current form who is an A Grader on our list

Id say no one, Kennedy not anymore, Bud might come back as an A grader like 2018 hopefully

Heeney looks the most likely at least, maybe expectations are a bit over the top

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but on current form who is an A Grader on our list

Id say no one, Kennedy not anymore, Bud might come back as an A grader like 2018 hopefully

Heeney looks the most likely at least, maybe expectations are a bit over the top

Rampe, and I'm willing to give Bud the benefit of the doubt until we see him next year.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
The mark he took to kick his 4th goal was a sign of just how good he is. Doing it with Heath Shaw right up on his back no less - Shaw isn't the rebounding defender he once was but imo he is far and away the best lockdown small defender in the league right now (a conversation for another thread but he is underrated at this point in his career imo). To take that mark with a great defender right on him and the ball travelling towards him at such high velocity is real skill.

Missed two goals he should have kicked so I'm glad he came back and nailed the last one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back