🌸🌷🌹🌺🌻🌼
Jul 9, 2015
Αρκαδία
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers, Gold City Royals

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Punts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Only goes missing really when in the midfield and gets a lazy when has to defend , ask touk Miller

Kennedy Parker

🌸🌷🌹🌺🌻🌼
Jul 9, 2015
Αρκαδία
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers, Gold City Royals
I think there's a tendency to overemphasise isolated individual performances. I've come to the position where I think how individual players go are products of the systems and roles that have been allocated. It's not really meaningful to focus on one player's isolated performances without considering the context of how the whole team played.

For instance, we could be at the end of the game, look at the stats and see that Heeney has picked up 22 disposals, took 7 marks and kicked 4 goals. 'Wow, that's really amazing! Heeney dominated the game, what a superstar!' we think, but then we consider the context of the game and Heeney turns out to be our only forward target, we kicked 7 goals for the game from 60 inside 50s and lose by 40 points. It turns out that Heeney's hypothetical dominant game did very little to help the team's fortunes.

I would say it's a simplification to consider it incumbent on Heeney to lift his game to the level of AA as though it's some sort of litmus test. When we've had AA selections in the past [see Malceski, Richards, Hanners, Parker, JPK, Jack, Rampe] it has been a byproduct of us implementing an effective system, allocating them roles that suit their strengths, and them going on to execute their roles at a high level. How Heeney goes this year will largely be dependent on how we setup the game plan.

Ideally, we'd have a system in place this year that isn't reliant on certain big name players and one that allows the boys to play effectively as a unit. If Heeney has a season where he's getting 17 disposals and kicking a goal a game, being one part of a well functioning forward line. That would be a lot more beneficial than him getting named in the AA averaging 25 disposals kicking over 2 goals a game, but playing a lone hand most weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad