Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Coach J Longmire said he expects Heeney to push for senior selection almost immediately.

He is hard at the footy and a very good runner , he plays two way footy and is strong overhead Longmire said.

Just a really good solid player who can come in we think and wont be far off the mark from straight up in pre season.

He just fits in Longmire said.

Said Mitchell finally having his first pre season will hold him well for 2015

Buddy/Tippett could be overshadowed by Heeney and Mills. J Clark article in the HUN

Last edited:
Man... Heenz is Parkeresque in his conditioning. Looks about ready to go without having ever stepped foot against the big boys... Lets hope his decision making, skill, endurance & attitude reflect the condition of his body. If so, we may well have another superstar in the ranks...

Looking fwd to seeing Tommy Mitch grab a senior spot too. Parker, Mitchell, Heeny, Perris & potentially Mills. I'd be forgoven for thinking we're just about setting up for JPK, Hanners, Jack, McGlynn & Maccas retirements already!

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Have promoted this to its own thread. May as well start getting excited, we need more positive threads in the off-season!!

From today's article in the Maitland Mercury, a local rag:

"...his rise from the banks of the Hunter River to professional footballer of a Victorian-dominated sport will give many aspiring players from this region hope for the future..."

http://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/story/2711793/heeney-adds-feather-to-citys-sporting-bow/

He'll probably start, as most good Swans midfielders do, playing in our forward line as a defensive forward with a few short stints in the midfield. Perhaps even a few games as the sub.

He'll probably start, as most good Swans midfielders do, playing in our forward line as a defensive forward with a few short stints in the midfield. Perhaps even a few games as the sub.
Yeah.... who out of JPK, Hanners, Parker, Birdy, Macca, Cunners or Jack would you like to replace first? :p

Seriously though, he seems to have the potential (a very easily and often overused word I know) to be an amazing addition to the side by the looks of his highlights packages and the limited glimpses we've got available. Along with Mitchell, we're talking about our future as much as we're talking about our 2015 campaign IMO. The promotion and establishment of such players was like that era of the Jacks, Hanners, JPKs etc starting to really take over 5 years ago. The same thing is happening again and again I'll back our club in to get the absolute best out of Heenz, Mills (hopefully), XR, Lloyd, Mitchell, Robbo, Cunners, Jones, Gazza, Ramps, Naka, Nanna, Towers, AA and all the other lads that will become our core group of players in 5 years from now.

Thinking back to how I felt standing there watch the Hawks lift the cup this year I didn't think I could feel this positive so soon... Heeney is my hope and the light I'm carrying into next season. He's the man. He's the sh*t. I'm not just on the bandwagon... I'm the horse, driver, road and destination damn it!!

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah.... who out of JPK, Hanners, Parker, Birdy, Macca, Cunners or Jack would you like to replace first? :p

To be honest after the grand final I am feeling less protective of the current midfield than I was. They were smashed by Hawthorn's midfield and it was all down to work rate. If some of our midfielders are not prepared to work hard enough then I am happy to see them going down to the reserves. If our midfield was as good as a lot of us think it is then the grand final would have been very different.

To me the two players who need to watch their backs the most are Jack and McVeigh because in 2014 they were both well below what we know they can produce and they were both terrible in the grand final.

To be honest after the grand final I am feeling less protective of the current midfield than I was. They were smashed by Hawthorn's midfield and it was all down to work rate. If some of our midfielders are not prepared to work hard enough then I am happy to see them going down to the reserves. If our midfield was as good as a lot of us think it is then the grand final would have been very different.

To me the two players who need to watch their backs the most are Jack and McVeigh because in 2014 they were both well below what we know they can produce and they were both terrible in the grand final.
Pressure and build up got to them. Might not have happened to a seasoned campaigner like Goodes, Shaw or Teddy but couldn't blame them for what was essentially being outcoached on the day. I don't blame our midfield for following our gameplan... I blame our coaches for not having a plan B.

In any event, this thread is dedicated to the hype around the next 2016 Brownlow medallist not our possible 2014 Brownlow medalists...........

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
In any event, this thread is dedicated to the hype around the next 2016 Brownlow medallist not our possible 2014 Brownlow medalists...........

Your a bit late for that one mate. Priddis won the 2014 Brownlow :p

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Cant wait to see this guy play.reckon he will have a pretty big impact this year. Already got a solid build, but the most excitinh part for me is that he is already pretty familiar with the club and players which will fast track the time needed for him to adjust and develop.

He will also get 40 disposals and 3 goals in his first game against Collingwood.

Need a 'Press Red For Ed' button on Fox Footy in that game lol

Need a 'Press Red For Ed' button on Fox Footy in that game lol
Eddie will be too pissed to leave Melbourne to see an interstate game. Particularly one not at ANZ :p

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney

Absolutely nailed it. I was so filthy I could have entertained trades for those players a few weeks ago.

I walk into this season with question marks over McVeigh, Jack, Jetta and also pondering what value Hannebery might have on the open market. I see Mitchell, Heeney and Jones (I also rate Hewett very highly) as quite close to being ready made replacements

... anyway, the competition is excellent within the club and it could be a very bad year to have a long term injury.

Back