Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Posted in the Rampe Board, but think it deserves to be said here

I think the hype around him make it too hard to see how good he is. Even I make the mistake of under-rating him.

I watch a game and he takes no massive hangers and doesn't kick a bag (but plays a very solid game with good disposal and all that) and think, 'he really needs to take a step up', or 'he hasn't reached his potential', even though he has outperformed most of the team on a dour day.

The bar is set so high for the bloke, that if any (most at least) player were held to they would be screwed.

I think the hype around him make it too hard to see how good he is. Even I make the mistake of under-rating him.

I watch a game and he takes no massive hangers and doesn't kick a bag (but plays a very solid game with good disposal and all that) and think, 'he really needs to take a step up', or 'he hasn't reached his potential', even though he has outperformed most of the team on a dour day.

The bar is set so high for the bloke, that if any (most at least) player were held to they would be screwed.

Yep he's an outright superstar. He can do it all - take hangers, kick goals from nothing, tackle hard, win contested footy, look composed in traffic, use the ball well by hand and foot, go back to intercept in defence. I think people are waiting for him to be able to do all of that regularly in the one game, but that's just an impossible standard to hold him to. Anyone who could do all of those things consistently in every quarter of every game would be the greatest player to ever play the game.

Thought he was within a chance of being in the AA squad this year.

Imo he is close to the best 1 one 1 player in the comp

Incredibly clean and rarely loses a contest, he really has to tidy up his goal kicking if he ever wants to become that superstar we know he can be
He's a pretty good set shot, especially around the body. Defence will push him into the pockets but I feel pretty comfortable with him taking a shot for goal there

Knee tendonitis 2015 pre-season
PCL mid 2015
Broken jaw 2015 end of season
Knee tendonitis 2016 pre-season
Glandular fever 2017 pre-season
Knee surgery 2017 end of season
Concussion 2018 mid-season
Broken thumb 2020 pre-season
Ankle dislocation and medial ligament rupture needing extensive surgery 2020 mid-season with recovery into 2021 pre-season

This boy's had a bumpy run but he's starting to get back into top shape. I hope 2021 is a great year for Isaac and the Swans

Knee tendonitis 2015 pre-season
PCL mid 2015
Broken jaw 2015 end of season
Knee tendonitis 2016 pre-season
Glandular fever 2017 pre-season
Knee surgery 2017 end of season
Concussion 2018 mid-season
Broken thumb 2020 pre-season
Ankle dislocation and medial ligament rupture needing extensive surgery 2020 mid-season with recovery into 2021 pre-season

This boy's had a bumpy run but he's starting to get back into top shape. I hope 2021 is a great year for Isaac and the Swans

And still been a gun!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He goes missing in games. We also know he is an AA level talent but he has not reached an AA level because of his inconsistency (and some injury admittedly).

He is in the prime of his career now. If he is as good as we all suspect this is the year he needs to start showing it.

That doesn't mean he's not performing. He's still in our best performing players on a weekly basis. His games are only on the good-to-great spectrum, which is better than most players in the competition.

That doesn't mean he's not performing. He's still in our best performing players on a weekly basis. His games are only on the good-to-great spectrum, which is better than most players in the competition.

I think it is down to his output vs potential. It is why most people are happy with Sinclair's game because they know for his moderately limited ability he is getting the most out of himself, or close to it. Heeney though, even though he has more impact than Sinclair, I am more critical of him because he has a much higher ceiling, and I don't think he has reached his own ceiling yet.

I think it is down to his output vs potential. It is why most people are happy with Sinclair's game because they know for his moderately limited ability he is getting the most out of himself, or close to it. Heeney though, even though he has more impact than Sinclair, I am more critical of him because he has a much higher ceiling, and I don't think he has reached his own ceiling yet.

Then maybe say that. Don't say "not performing" as it does what Heeney contributes on a weekly basis a huge disservice.

I think my meaning was reasonably clear. I was not saying that Heeney should be dropped, I was saying that we know he has AA talent and this is the year he needs to properly show that.

He doesn't need to show anything. The guy is a gun and the AA team is a joke. All I want is for him to just make it on the park every week and then have the privilege of watching him play.

He doesn't need to show anything. The guy is a gun and the AA team is a joke. All I want is for him to just make it on the park every week and then have the privilege of watching him play.

I feel the same way about Sam Reid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back