Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

This is a little concerning now. He's clearly very hampered by his hand injury. He'd normally swallow that mark at the end to ice the game and he's been beaten soundly in the last two games by the likes of Jy Farrar and even Zac Guthrie beat him in an aerial contest last night. He's either got to gut it out or take time off. Heeney in his younger years did sometimes have a propensity to let his intensity drop during games (not having a go at him, just calling what I saw) so I hope he's not letting the injury affect him above and beyond how much it's hampering him but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's rushed back to play a role for an injury-struck team and is doing his best, just clearly very much not at full fitness.

I know it’s not his fault, but injuries really affect the value of a player.

Florent has missed one game in 3 years and I suspect he is earning a fraction of what Heeney earns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to favour the quiet, underrated players e.g. Nick Smith that don't generate headlines (doesn't mean I don't love the others though). That said, my recent/current favourites are Hewett, Dawson and Heeney. Isaac has the flair and star factor, but puts his body on the line and plays the roles he's given well (especially when fit). That and when he takes a mark on the boundary inside 50, it's pretty much a lock.

You would love him to still become a clean mid and his field kicking yesterday was elite but I think that boat has sailed due to injury amd just how good he is up forward

His marking is at another level for a guy his size. His hands and his spring are just too hard to stop for defenders his size. Made Saad look like a little boy, and that's no mean feat because Saad has been a very good defender for a long time now.

Sydney hard nut Isaac Heeney has revealed he suffered a broken thumb after returning from a broken hand, vowing that a series of injuries won't affect how he plays AFL.

Heeney missed the round-five derby because of a broken hand, played two games then skipped a round-eight loss to Melbourne.
His ankle was the main reason he sat out the MCG clash but, unbeknown to those outside the club before Monday's admission, he also broke his thumb in round seven.

My thumb was just from a tackle, hitting someone's elbow.

For me a lot of it is recovery and then try and get a training session in throughout the week. If I get one in, I'm more than happy.

I've turned a page with that (ankle) ... which is nice. Hopefully by next year it'll be back to 100 per cent.

Tough bugger and an indication of the strain AFL players put on their body.

Hopefully he can stay injury free and turn in more of what we saw on the weekend.

Tough bugger and an indication of the strain AFL players put on their body.

Hopefully he can stay injury free and turn in more of what we saw on the weekend.
If he can turn in more of what we saw on Sunday, makes the finals dream a lot more of a reality.

I think he’s clearly top 10. Talent-wise he’s top 5 imo, but he just can’t get a good run at it to break into that elite group in the eyes of the wider community.

He’s my favorite Swan and it’s not close. He seems like a classy person and he plays like a mix of Adam Goodes and James Hird. If he can play 80% of games most years I’d almost take it given how good he is when he plays, but hopefully he can get a few full seasons under his belt.

Just a perfect player to have on a team like ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading about him when he debuted. He played soccer and scored 632 goals or whatever one year. Can you imagine moving him from the forwards to the mid field so he could get more of the ball?
Yeah but you’d lose his forward craft. And that’s too valuable to sacrifice. Similar with Papley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back