Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Suck it doubters

Yeah, I'm so disappointed that Heeney played awesome and helped us get a win. I definitely didn't want that to happen.

There's some weird responses to player critique on this board. None of us want these guys to not be good. Nothing would make me happier than Heeney winning three Brownlows in a row even if it proves my criticism wrong. Even though it wouldn't actually prove me wrong - all I've said is that so far Heeney's development has stalled and if we want to get back contesting for a flag we need to him to be consistently at his best more often than he is now. He was on the weekend - fantastic! Keep it going.

A little concerning that we are getting close to 100 games for Isaac and we're still waiting for the elite breakout.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Hopefully it's just his dodgy ankle that is holding him back.

Still waiting for him to tear games a apart. Should be doing it by now
His good is very good, it’s actually elite in my opinion.
His bad is very bad and it always appears as though he’s labouring. I find it ironic that his form dips are relative to ‘injury’ and yet his injuries never require rest.

Not suggesting that injury is a cop out for poor form but if it is, rest him. Consistency is more important.

There was an article in Advertiser (behind paywall)
May 10, 2019 - It's a pain but Heeney plays on ... ISAAC Heeney is determined to play through the pain despite an ankle problem restricting Sydney's young

So maybe having injections every game - that can't be much fun

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
There was an article in Advertiser (behind paywall)
May 10, 2019 - It's a pain but Heeney plays on ... ISAAC Heeney is determined to play through the pain despite an ankle problem restricting Sydney's young

So maybe having injections every game - that can't be much fun

Masking a problem could create bigger problems I believe.
Personally, I think the AFL should scrap these injections. In my opinion these are performance enhancing because if you don’t have them, you can’t perform.

We don’t want to ruin careers for the sake of putting an injured talent on the field.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
You only have to watch him try to change directions. It’s slow. When he’s got a straight run at things or he needs to hold position or jump vertically he’s fine. When he’s in the middle and the ball takes a bad bounce or an opponent gets to the ball first coming the other way, he tries to change direction and the play passes him by.

I suppose there’s logic that we won’t be playing finals, so might as well get more games and experience into him, even at a lower level of performance, and then rest him over the offseason to get him back in full form next year. But I don’t like it at all.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Hes beyond being a forward pocket..he needs to be in the mids full time..if he physically cannot do that, then dont play him until he can. The role he plays now is ridiculous and does nothing for his development

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Ok so say this is his ceiling still more than handy player not everyone becomes a top 5 player of the comp.

I still think he is a better forward than mid.

Obviously the season is shot soo im not sure the point of playing him if he is under serious duress? hello Sydney? seriously tho whenever i hear Longmire say Isaac has been brave and playing through pain i think to myself why?

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Highlight reel atm

Injury or not imo he isn’t a A grader and might never be.

So far from a predicted Fyfe

He can do spectacular things but there are times his kicking is unreliable and times when he drops off on his effort. The whole Heeney and Mills experience if anything teaches us all that potential is a far cry from actual achievement. So easy to dump a truck load of cash in someone's lap to ward off other contract offers, but it is still a gamble for potential to be realised. Tbh of the three I'm inclined to believe Blakey may turn out best. Still a gamble.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
He can do spectacular things but there are times his kicking is unreliable and times when he drops off on his effort. The whole Heeney and Mills experience if anything teaches us all that potential is a far cry from actual achievement. So easy to dump a truck load of cash in someone's lap to ward off other contract offers, but it is still a gamble for potential to be realised. Tbh of the three I'm inclined to believe Blakey may turn out best. Still a gamble.
Prefer the three to Ling ....
At least with our academy stars we know what we are getting.

Ageee good game now finally in his position

Though seemed to be on the bench a lot

He was one of the best on ground yesterday until he copped a knock in the second term (Corkie?)

Apart from that think he is starting to get over the injury issues he had at the start of the season.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
God, this guy can be frustrating. He finally broke out of 2nd gear cruising in the final quarter and you could see was putting in maximum effort repeatedly. We need that kind of top gear effort from him over 4 quarters.
At the time i thought he was really going to come of age and drag our carcass across the line...sadly though...

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

Inside mid, with strong hands

Back