Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

That’s the only measure of greatness?

Hodge Ayres McLeod the best ever
No, of course not, and I agree with Jewelsbon that it's not always awarded to the BOG, but it was a fair measure at the time of ROKs contribution to the 2012 Premiership. What I'm saying is if Heeney can play such a huge game on the biggest stage to help us win another premiership then I'll be completely convinced. I think Heeney's a super talented and gutsy player but he's not reached ROK's best yet.

No, of course not, and I agree with Jewelsbon that it's not always awarded to the BOG, but it was a fair measure at the time of ROKs contribution to the 2012 Premiership. What I'm saying is if Heeney can play such a huge game on the biggest stage to help us win another premiership then I'll be completely convinced. I think Heeney's a super talented and gutsy player but he's not reached ROK's best yet.

Agree

It was just a prediction that when he retires he will be past him

He is not yet, though at the same point in their careers he is better

But predictions can be wrong like when you said Bird would win a Brownlow :p

Agree

It was just a prediction that when he retires he will be past him

He is not yet, though at the same point in their careers he is better

But predictions can be wrong like when you said Bird would win a Brownlow :p
Didn't he ? Shame he went to Essendon. They dragged him down to their level.

He rubbed people the wrong way at essendon apparently

Wouldn’t roll his sleeves up
Maybe he refused to take his vitamins. ;)

This weekend he set a record in the NEAFL for the most clearances in a game. He collected 38 disposals and 10 inside 50s along with 20 of Sydney Uni's 57 clearances for the match. The previous record was 17. Good to see he's still going around, even if it's only in the NEAFL. So many players end their days half crippled. I hope Heeney's high marks and hard landings don't come back to haunt him when he's older,

EDIT : Oh, I get it. He refused to roll his sleeves up. So they were injecting the 'vitamins'

Sean smith for me

That was unbelievable
I agree. Sean Smiths is the GOAT AFAIK but few seem to recognise it. The latitude he got was amazing and that has to be a factor ahead of "spectacular" flailing arms and legs. Nick Reiwoldts mark running with the flight of the ball was another good one along with Royce Harts 1967GF mark where he got great height without a ride was good too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How great to read about a kid paying it forward and I assume his success would have lifted the profile of our game massively in a true rugby league heartland.
I've never met Heeney, but he appears to be a really affable young man.

I think Heeney has the MOTY wrapped up, but the Richmond player (forgot his name) should get GOTY.

Not really. I mean it was a very similar motion to Parker, except Parker was further out. As fancy as Higgins' goal looked, at the end of the day it was just a overhead snap that only needed to go about half a metre over the goal-line.

Not really. I mean it was a very similar motion to Parker, except Parker was further out. As fancy as Higgins' goal looked, at the end of the day it was just a overhead snap that only needed to go about half a metre over the goal-line.
Parker's celebration was way better though! But either way, it's probably not the right thread.

I think Heeney has the MOTY wrapped up, but the Richmond player (forgot his name) should get GOTY.

Criminal that the Essendon player didn't make the final three from their last round that mark was as good with better hang time IMO Heeney mark more spectacular though and considering the game predicament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back