Player Watch #5 Isaac Heeney

Remove this Banner Ad

capi_20204fe48fe689ed7f64257f118480f7_5448b88f13b55c5d56f99426e47adf40.jpeg

Isaac Heeney

Isaac Heeney is a crowd favourite and one of the best young players in the competition. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2018 AFL Mark of the Year award, was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in two of his eligible four years and played his 100th senior game in 2019. Heeney can be used in the midfield, forward line – where he booted four goals in star teammate Lance Franklin’s absence in Round 20 last year – or as a loose man in defence.

Isaac Heeney
DOB: 05 May 1996
DEBUT: 2015
DRAFT: #18, 2014 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Cardiff (NSW)

Yeah but you’d lose his forward craft. And that’s too valuable to sacrifice. Similar with Papley.
That is what I am saying. One of the best contested marks in the game. Why have him smelling guys asses in packs and getting belted when he can run the defence around and call the ball and out mark a third defender and kick a goal. Has the skills to out mark anyone. He is The Finisher!!

Heeney is close to a liability playing injured atm. Would probably be in the bottom half of our players for the last few weeks. Surely we rest him to get him right for finals?

He was fantastic in the second half once moved around the ball on the weekend.

He was fantastic in the second half once moved around the ball on the weekend.

In that second half Heeney was really good. Shame about the first half. Heeney did show why he would be such a good midfielder though as I remembered he got the ball in a clearance and he managed to get out of heavy traffic and kick the ball forward in a controlled manner. If Parker got the ball in the same situation it would have been a blind hack kick going forward. Heeney is better at finding space in traffic.

I do agree with this. Let's not run him into the ground. Just because he can play injured doesn't mean he has to.

It's an issue which rests on its facts. If Heeney aggravated his ankle on Sunday, and I suspect he did, then yes, give him the time he needs. If he's grinding through the season as so many do, then just keep grinding. It's a long season, particularly when viewed from the middle of July.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This didn’t age well.

In fairness, while a bit extreme (I had him in the bottom of our top half), the gist wasn't wrong - he wasn't performing anywhere close to his full potential.

Today was excellent, but I think a shift in his role helped. He was on the wing much more and then drifted forward at opportune moments, and then rested at FF when it suited. Much closer to the Dusty model than the undersized CHF he's been playing of late, which incidentally also gave Buddy the chance to play true CHF at times, and that helped him get into the game a bit when things got frustrating.

This didn’t age well.

I am glad he had a great game, but he has these flashes of brilliant games, and then goes quiet. It's not like I want Heeney to fail, but I want him to string some consistently great performances together. Recency bias is taking over right now when discussing Heeney's overall form

Thread needs a new name.

Isaac Heeney - The Rocketman 🚀

Think the reference title of "Game Changer" for Isaac Heeney says it all. Absolute Gun!

Surprised that Isaac has any critics at all this season, I think 2021 has been the best season of his career to date. And I don't mean a marginal improvement on his previous best. This is his best season by a long way.

He's played primarily as a forward, roaming up the ground much a bit like Adam Goodes late in his career, and he's been a multiple goal kicker in 8 games doing that.

I think a lot of people might see a game like this where he dominates, kicks 5 goals, takes hangers over feeble opponents and develop an unrealistic expectation that it should be norm for Isaac. But that is impossible in his role and in this team, and that's okay because we don't need to rely on any given individual to win games which is a large reason for our improvement this year.

Last week Heeney was a bit quiet, but Papley kicked 4, Hayward kicked goals, Buddy chipped in. This week, the others weren't at their best and Heeney filled his boots.

The same principle applies for the midfield and the defence, when you have an even spread of contributors your results as a team will be more consistent because there will always be variance in individual performances. The difference between top teams and middling teams, is that middling teams rely on a handful of stars to deliver them wins and top teams can afford for individual players to have an off day.

Surprised that Isaac has any critics at all this season, I think 2021 has been the best season of his career to date. And I don't mean a marginal improvement on his previous best. This is his best season by a long way.

He's played primarily as a forward, roaming up the ground much a bit like Adam Goodes late in his career, and he's been a multiple goal kicker in 8 games doing that.

I think a lot of people might see a game like this where he dominates, kicks 5 goals, takes hangers over feeble opponents and develop an unrealistic expectation that it should be norm for Isaac. But that is impossible in his role and in this team, and that's okay because we don't need to rely on any given individual to win games which is a large reason for our improvement this year.

Last week Heeney was a bit quiet, but Papley kicked 4, Hayward kicked goals, Buddy chipped in. This week, the others weren't at their best and Heeney filled his boots.

The same principle applies for the midfield and the defence, when you have an even spread of contributors your results as a team will be more consistent because there will always be variance in individual performances. The difference between top teams and middling teams, is that middling teams rely on a handful of stars to deliver them wins and top teams can afford for individual players to have an off day.
But he hasn't won a Brownlow and he was a first rounder so he is an utter disappointment according to some.

this is such a good post ...
we don't need heeney to win games for us ... but he can, and that's the main thing
and because other teams know what he is capable of, he's a nightmare for opposition coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back