Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

And how good were his first few games then, it looked like we had unearthed a gem. Stack was the same, better but a star who has not shone since. Does that mean they cannot get back to what they was like in his first dozen games. Of course not.

We have a pretty tough midfield to break into. Last year they made Ross lose weight then played him half back because they realised that the midfield was to good to get regular games. This year he looks in good shape and he looked off the pace a bit, but he has played against the best 3 midfields in the league so far, and his confidence is probably pretty low. He has great upside if you ask me, he knows how to find the ball and he uses it well especially by hand. He is tough, 187cm and close to 90kg's. No upside?
With Ross I reckon it's purely confidence. Has all the tools to be a real extractor and distributor type but he keeps getting played to his weaknesses. It's mind boggling. Give him a string of games on ball and he'll find his mojo again I reckon.

I remember how dimma had a big speech about focusing on what players can do rather than what they can't or aren't the best at...

... so why don't we play Ross as a pure mid? We need one.

Played on the wing, which is not his best position obviously, and probably our leading possession winner at half time with 14 doesn't say plodder to me. The second half, get in line behind all the other senior players who didn't show up.

He doesn't do much with it though.Turns it over a bit & is mostly ineffective. Not much ever happens from his possessions, even when he does accrue them.. Doesnt move the ball on fast enough & his hand eye & decision making reaction speed is poor. For an inside player as well his tackle count is heading in the wrong direction and he fails the eye test as his tackles don' appear to "stick". Don't feel like i have seen him impact a game since early in his career.

His biggest problem is he has a complete lack of variety to his game currently. Cant play him back or forward. He can't play as an outside runner. His lack of reaction speed also makes him a liability when we get the chance to play our most deadly style which is the connecting handball game, which is essential to being one of our few "inside mids" . Jack Graham is a similar player, but as he can play forward and be damaging that way, he is a far more damaging player. His best case scenario is Dion Presita, but his worst case scenario is Tom Hislop.

He is certainly young enough to improve though, agree there. But i think he hurts our side currently

I reckon the inclusion of Ralphsmith is because we're putting Ross in the middle again. Probably his last chance for a little while in that position though. Needs to win the ball for us.

And when he wins it, he needs to make sure he moves it on quickly & effectively

He doesn't do much with it though.Turns it over a bit & is mostly ineffective. Not much ever happens from his possessions, even when he does accrue them.. Doesnt move the ball on fast enough & his hand eye & decision making reaction speed is poor. For an inside player as well his tackle count is heading in the wrong direction and he fails the eye test as his tackles don' appear to "stick". Don't feel like i have seen him impact a game since early in his career.

His biggest problem is he has a complete lack of variety to his game currently. Cant play him back or forward. He can't play as an outside runner. His lack of reaction speed also makes him a liability when we get the chance to play our most deadly style which is the connecting handball game, which is essential to being one of our few "inside mids" . Jack Graham is a similar player, but as he can play forward and be damaging that way, he is a far more damaging player. His best case scenario is Dion Presita, but his worst case scenario is Tom Hislop.

He is certainly young enough to improve though, agree there. But i think he hurts our side currently
A few critics need to watch this again, it contradicts every point you have made. You don't lose that ability, you lose confidence which affects your ability.

A few critics need to watch this again, it contradicts every point you have made. You don't lose that ability, you lose confidence which affects your ability.

The funny thing is i remember posting a very impressive highlight reel of Peter Wright on here through the mid-season & it being shot down as "well, yeah thats a highlight reel from 3 years ago.

I also remember Dean Polo looking like a world beater in his first fit of games, the list of kids with impressive 1st year takes that dont make it is pretty long (ot at least take 4-5 years to actually reflect that early potential).

I want to believe in Jack but i just havent seen in in 2020 and 2021. If we were Nth Melbourne, Gold Coast, Hawthorn - I would definitely be playing this kid as a starting midfielder and getting as many games into him as i possibly can. The problem is when you are tryin to win a three-peat, you dont have the luxury to roll with the kids to develop them quickly - they need to fight for a position that is viable. My main point is at this stage he is hasn't really been good enough to take a serious midfield role & his lack of ability to play anywhere else roots him. Jack Graham was able to get games and experience as a pressure forward who rotated. Jack cant rotate as his slow reactions and poor inside 50 deliveries make him a liability.

You would have to think he is going to get his chance over the next month either way, as the cupboard is bare. I really hope he can get some form together and turn it around - we desperately need him, RCD & Naish to do that otherwise we are going to be looking at a couple of years outside the elite field

I’m not writing him off but he’s talked up on here like McBean and Gourdis were. To me, Ross is another Miles, that’s why when we see them for the first time, they’re impressive because our expectations are low, but he hasn’t done anything to say he’s going to be anymore than a B grader midfielder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The funny thing is i remember posting a very impressive highlight reel of Peter Wright on here through the mid-season & it being shot down as "well, yeah thats a highlight reel from 3 years ago.

I also remember Dean Polo looking like a world beater in his first fit of games, the list of kids with impressive 1st year takes that dont make it is pretty long (ot at least take 4-5 years to actually reflect that early potential).

I want to believe in Jack but i just havent seen in in 2020 and 2021. If we were Nth Melbourne, Gold Coast, Hawthorn - I would definitely be playing this kid as a starting midfielder and getting as many games into him as i possibly can. The problem is when you are tryin to win a three-peat, you dont have the luxury to roll with the kids to develop them quickly - they need to fight for a position that is viable. My main point is at this stage he is hasn't really been good enough to take a serious midfield role & his lack of ability to play anywhere else roots him. Jack Graham was able to get games and experience as a pressure forward who rotated. Jack cant rotate as his slow reactions and poor inside 50 deliveries make him a liability.

You would have to think he is going to get his chance over the next month either way, as the cupboard is bare. I really hope he can get some form together and turn it around - we desperately need him, RCD & Naish to do that otherwise we are going to be looking at a couple of years outside the elite field
On some points you make I agree, it is a really hard midfield to break into and his form the last two seasons hasn't warranted automatic inclusion that is for sure. The club experimented with him at half back, that and Covid messed up his development somewhat, but as you say he does lack for flexibiilty so they were not at fault exactly in trying to give him another position.

I do not agree with your reaction time, that video shows to me that he is calm and measured with just about every possession especially under duress. To me that is his no.1 attribute, poise when handballing. That is gold for a midfielder. His kicking is not bad, kicks it a fair distance. His decision making right now is average because he needs to believe he belongs there, not playing one week and dropped the next. That is really hard for any player, much less a young player. I imagine Caddy is going through that process right now.

Dean Polo could play but was as slow as a wet week, death for a footballer, Caddy for example, twice the footballer as many on our list, but slow. Whilst Ross is not fast he is quick over a short distance and really quick feet, probably why he reminds me so much of Selwood.

As you say, he has a few weeks to find some form, but even then he will most likely be squeezed out because in a full strength side he is behind, Edwards, Prestia, Cotchin and co. But with a few of them not far off retirement, we need to keep Ross because if he goes to another club he will get games and improve, and we will be even shorter on midfield depth than we are. Steele for St.Kilda is a good example of a kid that left for opportunity.

Last edited:
I’m not writing him off but he’s talked up on here like McBean and Gourdis were. To me, Ross is another Miles, that’s why when we see them for the first time, they’re impressive because our expectations are low, but he hasn’t done anything to say he’s going to be anymore than a B grader midfielder
McBean and Gourdis were always long shots, Ross has been in the centre of it since he was a kid, Vic Metro Captain Under 16's for example.

McBean and Gourdis were always long shots, Ross has been in the centre of it since he was a kid, Vic Metro Captain Under 16's for example.
The risk with ross was that he was already a ready-made player - with a mans body, mature head playing against kids. The scope and potential for improvement is small. We knew what we were getting but the risk was that we needed him to take an extra step from being an average AFL player to a good AFL player or role player. Whereas RCD is a different type of risk - he is either a boom or bust

Agree though im concerned as his good games dont seem to better then years before. He should be getting better BUT he is being played out of position IMO. He needs to be an inside midfielder. This next month is his personal big boy month. He will get game time and consistently too. If by the end of the 4th week, if he is playing still at the same level then that would be a huge red flag imo.

I wish the kid all the luck in the world because if he finds the level he needs to be it will make the club stronger

What did Tiger71 get suspended for?

Can we make an appeal? Does anyone have any footage of the incident that might get this suspension over turned?

It's an outrage !! :tearsofjoy:

If Dimma puts him head to head with three young hard nuts in Taranto, Hopper and Green as an inside mid, it’s going to tell us everything we need to know about where he’s at.

Not sure how accurate the weights are on the website but he’s close to the size of Taranto and Hopper, and the same age as Green, who is a monster.

If can win 2-3 clearances and 6-8 contested possessions against their midfield, then we’ve got a player.

Interesting, maybe Pickett/Castagna running through the cntre, Naish/Hugo rotating wing/forward.

Where did you find VFL team selection?

1620967700220.png

(chb is eggy)

My favourite was the silky butterfly Corey Ellis.
Days worth of biased and over0-hyped stats from his VFL outings against Frankston and Coburg to brinwash me into thinking he is a star in the making, when all you had to do is watch with the naked eye and realise there was nothing there.
Ans then the whole 'he'll come back to bite is when he leaves us. ;)
Ditto for Lennon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back