Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. He needed to learn this role in order to become a more complete mid. He should now be given Prestias role.
Yes, a second position if you like so when not in the midfield he can go elsewhere. Edwards, Dusty, Bolton, Graham. He would never have played wing in his life, Vic Metro captain U16, so was always an inside mid. Has done well really to transition to a wing given how foreign it is.

Was pretty average but played half back even half forward. But Dow looked good so he won't be getting his gig in the middle unless..... Dow gets injured.

Had 9 CBA’s. Fairly average game and I don’t expect him to be much long term personally but he needs three straight games in the middle.

Had 9 CBA’s. Fairly average game and I don’t expect him to be much long term personally but he needs three straight games in the middle.
Yes he went into the middle in the last Q when Dow went out. 8 goals kicked in the last, so was probably in the middle for quite a few of that total of 9.

Dow took his place in the middle basically, and looked pretty good especially in the 3rd when he started to get used to the pace of the game. Was worried that our depth in the middle dept was paper thin, but Dow really looked promising yesterday so Ross slips back a place although Dow's injury might save him.

Yes he went into the middle in the last Q when Dow went out. 8 goals kicked in the last, so was probably in the middle for quite a few of that total of 9.

Dow took his place in the middle basically, and looked pretty good especially in the 3rd when he started to get used to the pace of the game. Was worried that our depth in the middle dept was paper thin, but Dow really looked promising yesterday so Ross slips back a place although Dow's injury might save him.
If people watched Ross's game and thought he was okay then they can't be helped. That's hyperbole but only a little bit. The contest he had with Taranto in the last quarter, when Taranto rode his non-bump and kicked a goal, sums him up a bit. He has an undeserved reputation for being a tough and bullocking mid, but often shrinks in critical moments. The same goes for his disposal. His disposal is far too often terrible when it matters. He's still young, and hopefully he can reward the faith being shown in him, but there are lots of red flags, and he's definitely had a decent run of it from the selectors. Yes to everything you said on Dow. Let's say he wasn't injured and was available to play round three then he should be getting Ross's midfield minutes. Dow looks legitimately-tough, not fake-tough around the contest and was making great decisions with the ball, which he also did in the pre-season. Ross has been a minus player for us since that startling (really not sure how he did it/was very exciting when he did\Dean Polo vibes) debut vs Port in 2019.

Last edited:
If people watched Ross's game and thought he was okay then they can't be helped. That's hyperbole but only a little bit. The contest he had with Taranto in the last quarter, when Taranto rode his non-bump and kicked a goal, sums him up a bit. He has an undeserved reputation for being a tough and bollocking mid, but often shrinks in critical moments. The same goes for his disposal. His disposal is far too often terrible when it matters. He's still young, and hopefully he can reward the faith being shown in him, but there are lots of red flags, and he's definitely had a decent run of it from the selectors. Yes to everything you said on Dow. Let's say he wasn't injured and was available to play round three then he should be getting Ross's midfield minutes. Dow looks legitimately-tough, not fake-tough around the contest and was making great decisions with the ball, which he also did in the pre-season. Ross has been a minus player for us since that startling (really not sure how he did it/was very exciting when he did\Dean Polo vibes) debut vs Port in 2019.
Agree with your assessment of Ross, and I've been a defender. Again it is just round 2 and again he hasn't been backed into the position that most thought he should have been, taking Prestia's, but when he did get his turn he sure didn't use it to his advantage. I feel like he has got it in him, but being moved from pillar to post for a few years has taken what he had away. Either way if Dow comes on like he did yesterday, it is not such a problem, as I thought he added a real edge in the packs yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon Jacky boy, I still have faith in you being a star. Rip them weak Crow bastards an extra butthole on Saturday.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Certainly has a lot to play for. Macca will be straight back next week, so Ross needs to 'outperfom' to push someone else out, and each week Sonsie and co are putting in very good games in the VFL as further competition. Many on here will be on close watch too. I hope it's all objective critique of his game (if that's possible on Bigfooty lol), but he should know he is definitely on the fringe atm and needs to edge himself into the 22 with a big game. For me, that's 20+, 3 tackles, with no fk ups (ie turnovers or dumb decisions that make a teammate turn it over).

Certainly has a lot to play for. Macca will be straight back next week, so Ross needs to 'outperfom' to push someone else out, and each week Sonsie and co are putting in very good games in the VFL as further competition. Many on here will be on close watch too. I hope it's all objective critique of his game (if that's possible on Bigfooty lol), but he should know he is definitely on the fringe atm and needs to edge himself into the 22 with a big game. For me, that's 20+, 3 tackles, with no fk ups (ie turnovers or dumb decisions that make a teammate turn it over).
Year one he was winning contested ball, pirouetting around opponents and hitting outside players with a blind hand pass. Now he just plays like he's going to receive an electric shock if he shows an ounce of creativity or flair.

Year one he was winning contested ball, pirouetting around opponents and hitting outside players with a blind hand pass. Now he just plays like he's going to receive an electric shock if he shows an ounce of creativity or flair.
What do you expect, a natural inside mid who has become slimmed down to be a running outside player. Ross has been unlucky not to have played a preseason as a inside mid, as well as being disallowed to put on weight. No wonder he played well 2019, he was playing in his position which he had trained for. Ross is playing wing, half back, half forward, and small stouts of inside mid. the only player that I know can do that is Liam Baker. Has not been allowed to flourish in one position.

What do you expect, a natural inside mid who has become slimmed down to be a running outside player. Ross has been unlucky not to have played a preseason as a inside mid, as well as being disallowed to put on weight. No wonder he played well 2019, he was playing in his position which he had trained for. Ross is playing wing, half back, half forward, and small stouts of inside mid. the only player that I know can do that is Liam Baker. Has not been allowed to flourish in one position.
We ruined him , couldn't believe it when over a preseason he came back like a toothpick
We didn't get to see how good he could become
In the position he is played his junior footy,
We got it wrong.

We ruined him , couldn't believe it when over a preseason he came back like a toothpick
We didn't get to see how good he could become
In the position he is played his junior footy,
We got it wrong.
He’s named on the wing this week so assuming he’s taking Kmac spot (with a chop out from HRS and others). It just doesn’t suit him, he’s improved his running/kicking but not to the level you want for an AFL wingman . His time in the middle hasn’t been impressive this year either, clearance work average, and Dow has outshone him

Why can’t we just revert back to what he was when he first arrived- big inside mid

I’m sure our conditioning staff could put the size back on and we play him as purely an inside mid.

Don’t reckon it’ll happen though because we don’t rate that part of the game like some other sides. We’ll concede contested ball to win it on the outside or win it back through turnovers.

I don’t think he’ll ever be a lock in our team, he’s just filling a void until Sonsie , Brown, Banks, Clarke are ready to go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back