Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
yeah but he has been on the list 3 years and isnt best 22. they dont stick around till we are average again and have some retirements
Two years, he's just 20 years old.
He was brilliant to start with, tailed off like most first year players do before a very significant ankle sydesmosis sprain (same as Prestia and Nank this year).

Covid second year, they strip the weight off and train him as a half back before realising that won't work then had no avenue to find form other than minor scratch matches. Natural mid, and back in that position, best 22 or there about easily. Cotchin and Edwards near the end, and I'll bet Martin goes forward this year more, we will need the next generation midfielders. Hardwick has already singled him out as 'training the house down'.

I see Cotchin also as that sort. Hits as hard and makes it hard as anyone in the league, but get's the ball as well. Yes Graham does the hard stuff and makes it difficult by his closing down of space, but if a mid like Ross can do the same thing, but like Cotchin get the ball as well then that has to be more advantageous to the team. Prestia also does it, and he is an elite mid. 4.35 tackles per game to Grahams 6, not a lot in it. Great pressure player like Cotchin.

Graham is the weakest link in our midfield I don't think you could argue else wise. Martin, Prestia, Cotchin, Edwards, now Bolton. That is why they tried him on the wing, which he was not quick enough nor agile enough for. And that is why they dropped him. With newby's Ross and REC, and even Cumberland who looks a massive unit, all three being very tough and quick, the pressure game Graham applies will become even less significant, providing those boys come on.

It is far more than pressure that makes Richmond tick. We score from back 50 more than any side in the comp. We have two gun forwards. Our movement of the ball is elite. As I said previously, he had a good back end to the season, but I see Graham's ability to run and link all game as his no.1 trait, and he hits the scoreboard, I think he will do that more and more as he progresses. But it may not be as a midfielder.

I pretty much agree - except having Graham in higher regard. But against Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards and Bolton poor Jack, Graham that is, looks a bit of a plodder. Cotch is the elite pressure mid in the game in my opinion. People underestimate how good he and how much he impacts games. When he's on he dominates the game in ways most people don't even realise. Being the poor man's Cotchin isn't that bad ;)

But right now I hope we can bring that younger midfield through and can create a new group that helps us stay in contention for years more.

blxx

All Australian
Dec 2, 2004
my place
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
eels,tiges,everton,chiefs
When did RCD all of a sudden show that he, " likes the tough stuff" and " is a big aggressive player" or even a "love for hitting hard"???

He might be getting thereabouts or even starting to feel comfortable at the level but to this point I have not seen that kind of inside bull player he is being presented as.

Even in his VFL GF he was more a first receiver than the inside bull.

In regards to Graham, didn't we go through this "he's too slow" debate last year? and didn't Graham come back and put that all to bed with consistent BOG mentions?

I'm sure RCD and Ross have great attributes and will be fantastic players but they don't come anywhere near Grahams achievements and points on the board.

I hope we can give them more games this year and I sincerely hope they can lock a spot in as it bodes well for the club going forward. I just hope its not at the expense of any of our younger guns like Graham.

Who knows, maybe one or more of the senior mids will have a bad year or god forbid, get injured because thats the only way I can see any of the fringe players breaking in.

If we can nab a 3peat surely the guard will change in 2022.

WOWEE we are now debating how much better than Premiers we can be LOL such exciting times to be a tiger supporter!!!

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
When did RCD all of a sudden show that he, " likes the tough stuff" and " is a big aggressive player" or even a "love for hitting hard"???

He might be getting thereabouts or even starting to feel comfortable at the level but to this point I have not seen that kind of inside bull player he is being presented as.

In regards to Graham, didn't we go through this "he's too slow" debate last year? and didn't Graham come back and put that all to bed with consistent BOG mentions?

I'm sure RCD and Ross have great attributes and will be fantastic players but they don't come anywhere near Grahams achievements and points on the board.

I hope we can give them more games this year and I sincerely hope they can lock a spot in as it bodes well for the club going forward. I just hope its not at the expense of any of our younger guns like Graham.

Who knows, maybe one or more of the senior mids will have a bad year or god forbid, get injured because thats the only way I can see any of the fringe players breaking in.

WOWEE we are now debating how much better than Premiers we can be LOL such exciting times to be a tiger supporter!!!
RCD in the VFL Preliminary final was notably aggressive, one of the only times I saw him play, but that side of his game really impressed me, especially for an underdeveloped 18/19 year old. Hit players constantly with his body and tackled super hard. 2 years on it is only natural to assume that side of his game will have improved.

As far as Graham's BOG goes, news to me. Thought he got better as the season went and had a couple of good very good games (twice over 20 possessions), but he was tried on the wing, dropped for a couple of games, came back for 3 average games and was dropped for a further 3.

Jack Ross was close to best BOG in his first two games, 28 and 29 very composed possessions. Dropped back as has been highlighted, but could easily come back and play that way again after a big preseason.

I hope Graham raises the bar again so it is impossible for him to be wedged out. But as mid spots are tough gigs to get at the moment, it's far from a given that he will be there in front of the other two. You have to give these kids a go at some stage. As you say, there will always be injuries and players will be tried in other spots so who knows.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

I agree with you on Graham.

But having watched half a dozen or so of RCD's VFL games in 2019 when broadcast, there was scattered evidence of his strength and aggression for sure. He looked quite uncertain at times of when to charge in and when to hold back but when he did go in some of his tackling was very strong for a first year player, it really stood out.

Hardwick’s remarks on him were very bullish I thought, and this should give real cause for optimism. He doesn’t talk rubbish about the players Hardwick. In 2019 it was evident RCD was a bit lost on the outside so the coaches were really trying to encourage that part of his game. He has some weapons with good breakaway speed, really good hands in tight and his height and strength, plus he is a good kick. He seems to play Richmond’s style of footy too, higher impact with fewer possessions.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree with you on Graham.

But having watched half a dozen or so of RCD's VFL games in 2019 when broadcast, there was scattered evidence of his strength and aggression for sure. He looked quite uncertain at times of when to charge in and when to hold back but when he did go in some of his tackling was very strong for a first year player, it really stood out.

Hardwick’s remarks on him were very bullish I thought, and this should give real cause for optimism. He doesn’t talk rubbish about the players Hardwick. In 2019 it was evident RCD was a bit lost on the outside so the coaches were really trying to encourage that part of his game. He has some weapons with good breakaway speed, really good hands in tight and his height and strength, plus he is a good kick. He seems to play Richmond’s style of footy too, higher impact with fewer possessions.
Watched the Grand Final with a Geelong mate.... and after the game he said to me Richmond are not finished yet. Reckon young players like RCD and Ross in particular are going to be a big part of that. Plus Bolton, Balta, Stack...

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
No doubt Graham in form makes our midfield better, just how much better compared to the young up and coming brigade is yet to be determined. All are young, so all should improve. If Graham stays in the midfield, which RCD, Ross and Bolton, then hats off to him.

I love some of the things he brings to our game, just reckon his defensive stuff is way over rated, because for a defensive mid he looks best to me when he is attacking. He kicks goals and other mids can't go with him all day. He is neat and doesn't fumble and is part of a lot of our offensive chains. See no reason why he can't play Lambert's role, who basically covers for Martin who basically never goes north of the circle. Lambert is 29 and will slow down, and cops a few injuries.

Graham barely has played in the middle. Ross played more in the guts last season. Dow too.

1613453612746.png

Assuming those stats are correct - Ross is already the 8th choice mid. Just hard to find a spot in the 22.

Iirc Graham starts forward and runs in , so it's like am extra mid essentially (?)

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

The williamstown blokes he put on their ass might reckon he had a bit of bull about him.

Just having rcd around the ball helped it go the tigers way on some occasions in the grand final.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Graham barely has played in the middle. Ross played more in the guts last season. Dow too.

View attachment 1059126

Assuming those stats are correct - Ross is already the 8th choice mid. Just hard to find a spot in the 22.

Iirc Graham starts forward and runs in , so it's like am extra mid essentially (?)
Like Lambert, I thought as much.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
No questioning his work rate.

Bit sad to see the ross heatmap of him shunted out wide.

Maybe that's why they told him to get lighter. Run more to compete as a wing / hff option.

Not easy to get in a rotation of martin. Cotchin. Prestia. Edwards. Bolton.

Remains to be seen if he stays patient long term or wants to go somewhere else. Given the age/s of the above group he probably won't have to wait long.

Hopefully a bit more passionate about tigerland than jack higgins :(

View attachment 1059126

Is that Champion data (or similar)? stats on time in the midfield?

I thought Dusty was more like 40% forward.

And the heat map of Graham's possessions was right across the middle of the ground.

Interesting stuff in that case. Not sure what to think.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

And the heat map of Graham's possessions was right across the middle of the ground.

Graham is usually the Martin patsy isn’t he? ie starts forward and drifts into the middle as Martin drifts forward after the centre bounces.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

No idea. I think an essendon supporter posted it a while back.

It is probably accurate.

The bolton graph for example looks correct. Played forward then unleashed in the middle when injury hit. More forward at the end with edwards available again.

I think Graham plays in the forward line then is the extra midfielder

It's hard to tell from the tv. Evan at games can be confusing with so many players around the ball at times

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Very exciting times ahead with the new cub's coming into the team this year
Martyn , Cumberland , Ralph-smith , Dow , RCD , Ross all now having 1-2 years under their belts and pushing for best 22 spots

We have a bit to go before we are done and are effectively rebuilding whilst winning premierships

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Players take it hard when they miss GF selection (with the exception of Kamdyn McIntosh.)
He's a good player but our team is all about our elite players with assistance from role players such as Ross.

rammbo

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2011
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack Ross has a long way to go to get to jack Graham level from what ive seen . I think Jack Ross looked very promising early on but has tailed off in his later games for whatever reason .

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Bit sad to see the ross heatmap of him shunted out wide.

Maybe that's why they told him to get lighter. Run more to compete as a wing / hff option.

Not easy to get in a rotation of martin. Cotchin. Prestia. Edwards. Bolton.

Remains to be seen if he stays patient long term or wants to go somewhere else. Given the age/s of the above group he probably won't have to wait long.

Hopefully a bit more passionate about tigerland than jack higgins :(
Started the season at half back so that might explain it a bit. Never got up and running last season.

Back