Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Ross fan, his form is not screaming out" play me." With RCD having a good debut, I hope he gets a few games. Bolton and Pickett have been playing well in the middle. As is JGT1. Rossy probably get squeezed out. In fact with Baker playing well up the field. It's more pressure on Ross's spot.

He is not fitting into the team well now. It must be remembered he is 20yo. When playing as an inside mid he he almost always up against high quality fully mature players, so it is a tough school. There are very few 20 year olds in the AFL who can cope with that. When playing in other positions he is unsuited.

I think the MC is trying to keep him involved where they can because they think in coming years he will be needed as an inside mid. He would probably benefit from a good run of games as a full time inside mid at VFL level, and god knows does that team need someone like Ross right now. Perhaps let him hone his leadership and inside game there for now and if the AFL team needs a flanker or winger bring in Naish or Ralphsmith or someone more suited to that position. Longer term I remain optimistic about Ross, I think he is a good player and especially for a 20yo.

He is not fitting into the team well now. It must be remembered he is 20yo. When playing as an inside mid he he almost always up against high quality fully mature players, so it is a tough school. There are very few 20 year olds in the AFL who can cope with that. When playing in other positions he is unsuited.

I think the MC is trying to keep him involved where they can because they think in coming years he will be needed as an inside mid. He would probably benefit from a good run of games as a full time inside mid at VFL level, and god knows does that team need someone like Ross right now. Perhaps let him hone his leadership and inside game there for now and if the AFL team needs a flanker or winger bring in Naish or Ralphsmith or someone more suited to that position. Longer term I remain optimistic about Ross, I think he is a good player and especially for a 20yo.
I forget he's 20. Seems mature. I'd love RCD to get a few games. Who knows he'll go after a few games. I'd love for Ross & RCD to share a spot in the team so that we have good, tested depth in case Cotchin or Prestia get injuries around finals. Stack might be in consideration too, in a few weeks. Although he seems to be play small fwd/small defender

He was playing wing on Friday night.
Watching the replay he did a lot of crucial running.
He might get more of a go in the guts with Cotchin out

He played inside in the first quarter for little impact. Worrying sign as we got better once RCD and later Pickett attended more bounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He played inside in the first quarter for little impact. Worrying sign as we got better once RCD and later Pickett attended more bounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first quarter we were horrible as a team. The first half was as poor as we have played for years, 2 goals! Lucky that Lynch hit his straps because without him the ball would have rebounded much quicker and we would have been far worse. RCD got a couple of easy possessions early also, the bulk of his work was done as he and the team warmed up.

Didn't realise that he played as much in the middle as others have indicated early on, but he wasn't on his own in being nowhere to be seen. Pickett has run into red hot form, and he is the second ruck and played through the middle of the ground a fair bit lately, so no surprise that he went through there.

I think there is only one reasonable change given the VFL form of players, Cotchin out Martin in, so hopefully Ross gets another crack at it.

He's a long way currently from rookie year Ross when he went 25 disposals, 17, 28, 15, 21. Was racking up clearances and was smart and clean with the ball.

That was in between a bad syndesmosis injury and then a subsequent weight drop.

Whatever needs to happen to get back to that form needs to happen soon. Is his ankle still a problem? Who knows. In fairness, they aren't giving him much CBA time but he still needs to do more.

Loved this kid in his first season thought what have we got here. But I don't think the kid will make it a shame cause he has the attitude of a person wishing to succeed. The day he plays in our best 22 and cements it will be the day when we have gone down the path of the Carltons and total rebuild has commenced.

He's a long way currently from rookie year Ross when he went 25 disposals, 17, 28, 15, 21. Was racking up clearances and was smart and clean with the ball.

That was in between a bad syndesmosis injury and then a subsequent weight drop.

Whatever needs to happen to get back to that form needs to happen soon. Is his ankle still a problem? Who knows. In fairness, they aren't giving him much CBA time but he still needs to do more.
With cotchin and Prestia so injury prone, Ross will be getting a few games. Not sure what his instructions are, but seems to go for short targets with his kicks. Maybe they want Bolton doing the run and carry.
Ross and RCD should keep their spots. With cotchin and Grimes out. Dusty and Vlas in. Maybe play Baker for Aarts and play Naish down back

Last edited:
Struck a bit by the negativity in regard to Ross. Since when does a kid playing his first full game for a while up against one of the best midfields in the business carry the can for the teams crap performance in the first half. Edwards, Cotchin, Graham etc had little more effect than Ross in the first half, as bad a half as we have played in years. Yet Ross seems to be taking the brunt of it.

Struck a bit by the negativity in regard to Ross. Since when does a kid playing his first full game for a while up against one of the best midfields in the business carry the can for the teams crap performance in the first half. Edwards, Cotchin, Graham etc had little more effect than Ross in the first half, as bad a half as we have played in years. Yet Ross seems to be taking the brunt of it.

Welcome to Bigfooty, where edwards and houli were duds and losing to the Dees last week meant dynasty over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More about what Dimma said actually. He’s been starting midfielder twice this year and been kicked out for getting smacked.

More about what Dimma said actually. He’s been starting midfielder twice this year and been kicked out for getting smacked.
Along with all the other mids in that first half. As I said, why are we singling out a young player. I'm sure if he was in the middle in the second half the way we stepped up all over the park, he would have also. His last half on the wing wasn't too bad.

Along with all the other mids in that first half. As I said, why are we singling out a young player. I'm sure if he was in the middle in the second half the way we stepped up all over the park, he would have also. His last half on the wing wasn't too bad.

He was also moved out of the centre against Port. Dimma didn’t mention Ross in particular in his presser but that’s who he was referring to as RCD continued in the middle during the second half

Great post.

Welcome to Bigfooty, where edwards and houli were duds and losing to the Dees last week meant dynasty over.

Or as recently as before the dogs game and during the first half. We are old, slow, full of hacks being shown up etc etc

He was also moved out of the centre against Port. Dimma didn’t mention Ross in particular in his presser but that’s who he was referring to as RCD continued in the middle during the second half
He may have been moved out of the centre then as well. In and out of the side. Injury sub, has had very little chance to get any football continuity so far this year. Also some fair midfields and ladder leader he has played against Doggies, Port and Melbourne. So his confidence may not be all it should be.

Point is people are taking shots at him when really after a few games it is a bit hard to judge where he is at. Let's see how he goes this week with Cotchin out, would be amazed if they dropped him. He and RCD can have a fair hit out, although again against a very good seasoned midfield.

I’ve seen enough of him to know he has talent. He is young and is currently learning from the best. Imagine learning from Dusty, Edwards, Prestia and Cotchin every week? Like all young players he is going to have dips, especially when he is also up against the players he is learning from. I wouldn’t worry about him not becoming a very good midfielder.

I’ve seen enough of him to know he has talent. He is young and is currently learning from the best. Imagine learning from Dusty, Edwards, Prestia and Cotchin every week? Like all young players he is going to have dips, especially when he is also up against the players he is learning from. I wouldn’t worry about him not becoming a very good midfielder.

This is his best chance. He has had a run of games and stayed in again this week. With Cotch and Prestia out it’s up to RCD and Ross to help fill the void along with Bolton,Edwards and co.

I know the team sheets aren't always accurate to where a player will play, but interesting to see Pickett has been named as playing On-Ball, Ross taking his place on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back