Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Tbh, I haven’t seen signs of a good player from him yet. He’s young, but the most promising game he had was his debut game against Port Adelaide. Reminds me a lot of Corey Ellis’ trajectory.

I’ll give him some time of course because he is young, but not convinced just yet if I’m going to be honest.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Exactly right, we have nobody in the VFL who is ready to step up and play midfield in years to come, Cumberland maybe. We have some outside players who look okay, Ralphsmith, Rioli, but no coalface mids. With Edwards and Cotchin you can't guarantee they can play uninjured at their ages, Cotchin in particular. So we have to back our young players in. Ross is not an outside player, but is learning that caper. Made one serious mistake last night which all players make at times, caught in two minds.
Christalmighty. Castagna had one kick that went OOF. Broad dropping sitters all night. Lynch can barely hold a mark. Nank smashed etc etc etc.
With Edwards out people want to drop Ross too? If that happens I'll put the house On the Giants. Stack is not quite there yet. And we need a BOLO on Caddy.
The unforced change I'd make is CCJ for George

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Tbh, I haven’t seen signs of a good player from him yet. He’s young, but the most promising game he had was his debut game against Port Adelaide. Reminds me a lot of Corey Ellis’ trajectory.

I’ll give him some time of course because he is young, but not convinced just yet if I’m going to be honest.
I feel that Pickett is taking a midfield spot. I'd prefer him on the wing again. CJ can provide back up ruck. So mids are Dusty, Graham, Bolton, Ross, RCD.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I feel that Pickett is taking a midfield spot. I'd prefer him on the wing again. CJ can provide back up ruck. So mids are Dusty, Graham, Bolton, Ross, RCD.
Because Hardwick and co are refusing to play CCJ for some reason. It’s getting annoying at this point.

Yeah I’d like to see Ross go with us having Pickett back on the wing. I think he plays best as an inside mid even though he’s been defeated there before. He’s still young so has time to learn my opinion. He doesn’t appear to be suited to wherever we played him in the last two games.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Pickett could not get near it last night. I think you are right, needs to settle in one spot, even if he rucks a bit, then back to the wing. Need to keep it simple and play players in their best spots.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
100%.

With our midfield depleted, we don't have obvious replacements. We've got to start rebuilding on the run because these games into kids now will benefit us as a club in the next 5 years.

He has had some good moments, still needs 20 - 30 more games though.
Personally i dont think it will take 5 years.
We have Kids like Ross / RCD /Naish / Stack now 3 years in and physically will be mature both in strength and stamina to mix it with the most mature players
Martyn/Cumberland/Ralph/Dow also now 2nd - 3rd year

We have not been able to give them the games and they have missed out on football at lower level due to Covid , 2022 they will be ready to step up another level.

But 2021 is looing shaky and we just need to limp into the finals and take the week off just before and reset and go for it - But we need to get the 12 wins

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Ross won’t make it if they continue to play him on the wing.
Inside mid or bust
Agreed. He's a broke man's Tom Mitchell. Get him to 85kg and put him in the guts to win clearances, tackles and feed handballs out. He's not an outside player.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Ross won’t make it if they continue to play him on the wing.
Inside mid or bust

I was thinking similar things.

What I think is a strength of Ross is his ability to get low and compete for a guy his height. Should Ross be a tall in and under guy to maximise his output and effect on the team? Maybe he needs to go inside and speed up his handball release and get his ball onto foot far quicker as a real clearance playerlike a Liberatore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I was thinking similar things.

What I think is a strength of Ross is his ability to get low and compete for a guy his height. Should Ross be a tall in and under guy to maximise his output and effect on the team? Maybe he needs to go inside and speed up his handball release and get his ball onto foot far quicker as a real clearance playerlike a Liberatore
Has to play there regularly to get the confidence to do that. Having said that he had 20 odd possessions on the weekend on the wing, a lot of players got less than that. Seems like he is an easy target when some of our players seem to get away with very little criticism.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Has to play there regularly to get the confidence to do that. Having said that he had 20 odd possessions on the weekend on the wing, a lot of players got less than that. Seems like he is an easy target when some of our players seem to get away with very little criticism.

I am not really criticising him, he needs more games to develop like a lot of others.

I think we do not give enough opportunity to the youngsters to be honest.

I am not sure Dimma's strength is development frankly, Williams was linked to Dusty, Leppa to Rance etc.., youngsters need opportunity to grow.

You should give players the best opportunity for them to succeed including suitable roles for their physical makeup otherwise your unnecessarily pushing uphill and going against the grain when there are too many other obstacles against us as a team. For example one does not ask Samson Ryan to rove regularly to the ruckman obviously because thats not his forte

One of the things we need to focus on now is how to win the most premierships strategically over the next twenty years

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I am not really criticising him, he needs more games to develop like a lot of others.

I am not sure Dimma's strength is development frankly, Williams was linked to Dusty, Leppa to Rance etc.., youngsters need opportunity to grow.

You should give players the best opportunity for them to succeed including suitable roles otherwise your unnecessarily pushing uphill and going against the grain when there are too many other obstacles against us as a team.

One of the things we need to focus on now is how to win the most premierships strategically over the next twenty years
Yes my comment about some criticising wasn't aimed at you. Last year was hard on the young players development wise due to lack of opportunity with no VFL, and this year all the promising ones so far, Stack, Dow, Ralphsmith, Cumberland, MRJ have all had delayed starts to the year which hasn't helped. A few of them will get their chance now it seems, ready or not.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

You should give players the best opportunity for them to succeed including suitable roles for their physical makeup otherwise your unnecessarily pushing uphill and going against the grain when there are too many other obstacles against us as a team. For example one does not ask Samson Ryan to rove regularly to the ruckman obviously because thats not his forte

Balta Bolton baker , short , what are they , a bowl of gold fish , I could go on and on , heck how many of our premiership sides were from
Rookie spots and we have developmental issues , delete your flawed post

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Started reasonably well 14p first half 4p sec half ,,, like a few of my golf rounds . Stick with him , don’t hang a kid on one big doozy

Agree though im concerned as his good games dont seem to better then years before. He should be getting better BUT he is being played out of position IMO. He needs to be an inside midfielder. This next month is his personal big boy month. He will get game time and consistently too. If by the end of the 4th week, if he is playing still at the same level then that would be a huge red flag imo.

I wish the kid all the luck in the world because if he finds the level he needs to be it will make the club stronger

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
needs to go back to the VFL until he can prove he is not just an ALF plodder
Played on the wing, which is not his best position obviously, and probably our leading possession winner at half time with 14 doesn't say plodder to me. The second half, get in line behind all the other senior players who didn't show up.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
His touches don't seem to do any damage.

Like I find he has always been good at finding the footy but struggled to make an impact during the game.

- Doesn't kick goals.
- Low on goal assists.
- Doesn't break the lines across.
- Not high on clearances.
- Not in the top 5 tacklers.
- Can't ruck, play half back or be versatile across the ground.

There's a lot working against him. He looks to be built like a Joel Selwood but plays more like Troy Selwood sadly.

If he makes it? Great. But these six to seven works are it for him, if he can't make an impact and cement his spot in the team, he would need to be either VFL relegated or delisted because we are looking for AFL players, not fill ins.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
His touches don't seem to do any damage.

Like I find he has always been good at finding the footy but struggled to make an impact during the game.

- Doesn't kick goals.
- Low on goal assists.
- Doesn't break the lines across.
- Not high on clearances.
- Not in the top 5 tacklers.
- Can't ruck, play half back or be versatile across the ground.

There's a lot working against him. He looks to be built like a Joel Selwood but plays more like Troy Selwood sadly.

If he makes it? Great. But these six to seven works are it for him, if he can't make an impact and cement his spot in the team, he would need to be either VFL relegated or delisted because we are looking for AFL players, not fill ins.
I think Ross has great vision. There was a game earlier in the season (ironically to me the one before he was squeezed out/dropped), where every time he got the ball he put someone into space by hands, many under quite a bit of heat. That was also a feature of his early games. You don't lose vision, you may lose confidence to pull the trigger on those handballs, and who could blame him. In one week, out the next, then played on a wing.

He is also a very strong tackler, not being in the top 5 means nothing considering the game time he has spent lately and the position he has been playing. He brought down Cripps in great tackle round 1 when he was brushing the rest off like flies.

He also reminds me a lot of Selwood who is quick and nimble over short distances which works well in tight spaces, but Selwood with Cotchin, he is perhaps the toughest head over ball players that we have seen in many years, so that is a tough benchmark.

We will see this week. Both he and RCD will be given a lot more responsibility. Let's hope he responds because he is under a bit of pressure, will see a bit what he is made of. I think he will be a very good player, contrary to many on here.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Problem is he has no upside. His first year performances were his ceiling.
And how good were his first few games then, it looked like we had unearthed a gem. Stack was the same, better but a star who has not shone since. Does that mean they cannot get back to what they was like in his first dozen games. Of course not.

We have a pretty tough midfield to break into. Last year they made Ross lose weight then played him half back because they realised that the midfield was to good to get regular games. This year he looks in good shape and he looked off the pace a bit, but he has played against the best 3 midfields in the league so far, and his confidence is probably pretty low. He has great upside if you ask me, he knows how to find the ball and he uses it well especially by hand. He is tough, 187cm and close to 90kg's. No upside?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back