Ranked 17th in the AFL for total inside 50s
Ranked 16th in the AFL for total contested possessions
Ranked 8th in the AFL for total clearances
Ranked 6th in the AFL for stoppage clearances per game
Ranked 18th in the AFL for total handballs
Ranked 8th in the AFL for clearances per game
Ranked 4th in the AFL for total stoppage clearances
Ranked 19th in the AFL for contested possessions per game
Career high disposals in a game (37, versus North Melbourne)
Career high kicks in a game (22, versus GWS Giants)
Career high tackles in a game (9, versus West Coast Eagles)
Career high clearances in a game (13, versus Gold Coast Suns)
Career high rebound 50s in a game (4, versus Richmond)

Standout

Round 21, 2019 (versus GWS Giants): Possibly had a better individual game against the Suns the next week, but I discount that due to the standard of the opposition. In conditions tailor-made for tough football, Worpel stood out, racking up 31 disposals (including a career-best 22 kicks), winning eight clearances and laying six tackles against a team headed for the finals, in the Giants. The Hawks controlled the game throughout and Worpel's work inside at the coal face was a huge reason why the Hawks cruised to a 56 point win against the Giants in Canberra.

Shocker

Round 14, 2019 (versus Sydney Swans): Actually it's hard to find a game that would fit the mould of a 'shocker', but this is possibly the closest. Only 19 disposals, albeit six tackles and six clearances. Underlines just how good Worpel's second season in the big show actually was when this is the 'shocker'.

38 - James Worpel (2018)

Got his clearance stats post-bye rounds? Read somewhere he was #1 in the AFL.

Amazing second season and looks set to follow a similar trajectory to his mentor who wore the same number. Future captain of the club.

At the moment we have only one player in that absolute top bracket of AFL players - the future hall of famer types (Mitchell). Worpel looks capable of reaching that level.

Amazing second season and looks set to follow a similar trajectory to his mentor who wore the same number. Future captain of the club.

At the moment we have only one player in that absolute top bracket of AFL players - the future hall of famer types (Mitchell). Worpel looks capable of reaching that level.
50 in his first 11 games this year
89 in the back half of the season

Since Round 14

Neale just ahead in totals and average. But Worpel a close second in both
4cef1c4f934b9ac1ee13eb046c796160.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

When Mitchell went down things looked really bad for our midfield - we only had O'Meara (with unknown durability) and Sheils as our two starting midfielders. We all knew Worpel would get an extended crack but I don't think any of us expected him to perform at this level.

For a second year player Worpel averaged a staggering 26 disposals and 5 tackles. For comparison rising star winner & Pick 1 Sam Wash (already predicted to be a superstar) averaged 25 disposals and 3 tackles. Instead of slowing down as the season progressed - as expected of a young player - from round 16 onwards his stats rose to 30+ disposals. Those stats match it with some of the elite midfielders in the game.

He has formed a strong bond with Sammy Mitchell, who has been mentoring him throughout the year. And Worps has been learning - he's starting to brush opponents away with his hips and sidestep opponents in a manner eerily reminiscent of Sammy. Both of them share the same tremendous work ethic. Worpel also significantly improved his disposal throughout the year and I suspect that with Sam in his ear it may actually become one of his strengths in a few years.

Earn that jealousy from Floggard Worps - if his current trajectory continues then he'll be the next big thing.

He's defs got something special - the Hurley & Selwood plays last yr, the contested goalsquare grab pre-season when he ragdolled Houli.. I really do think he's an inspirational player, probably the most inspirational on our list. I'm waxing lyrical i know, but gee he's impressed me. So much to like about his season. Was able to make quite a few explosive clearances across the year - blazed away w/ long bombs the first few times exploding out of the centre square, but learned, and started lowering his eyes and hitting the spot-ups later in the season.
Mitch spoke about mid-season about how he was consistently able to rack up 24-26 touches, but 26 was his ceiling and they were trying to find ways for him to get more of the ball.
That he was able to break that ceiling and consistently find more of the ball in general play indicated to me just how coachable he is, and gives me high hopes that he'll continue to improve next year, even w/ Titch back in the side.

Something tells me this kid is going
To get even better. His grunt in packs
And his poise to look for options are
Going to stand him in good stead
Now that he is accelerating his development.
Also, his massive clearances out of
The centre seem to hit a target more than
Enough. That kick to Mitchell Lewis
Down his throat from the tap.

Suck on that Goddard.

I'm going to say something I don't think Worpel will ever be a superstar based on how the majority rate them. (So if he doesn't get to 40 possessions a game)

I think Worpel can be a superstar on how I rate them. Which is even with 20 possessions he impacts the game more.

We've been smart in our late draft choices continuously picking captains and good citizens.

He is exhibit A. When it's Worpel's turn to go he's already there. That's a Hawthornism… it's something for example Ablett has never done even though he might have twice the ability to some... not me. (He has a bit more but nowhere near twice)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's defs got something special - the Hurley & Selwood plays last yr, the contested goalsquare grab pre-season when he ragdolled Houli.. I really do think he's an inspirational player, probably the most inspirational on our list. I'm waxing lyrical i know, but gee he's impressed me. So much to like about his season. Was able to make quite a few explosive clearances across the year - blazed away w/ long bombs the first few times exploding out of the centre square, but learned, and started lowering his eyes and hitting the spot-ups later in the season.
Mitch spoke about mid-season about how he was consistently able to rack up 24-26 touches, but 26 was his ceiling and they were trying to find ways for him to get more of the ball.
That he was able to break that ceiling and consistently find more of the ball in general play indicated to me just how coachable he is, and gives me high hopes that he'll continue to improve next year, even w/ Titch back in the side.

That 'Hurley play' is amazingly overrated on here. He's done better and more impressive things in essentially every game since then.

One of my favourite moments of the year.

Sums up an absolutely brilliant year. Tenacity, skill, poise.

I love how halfway through the tackle Ablett thinks he's broken free, then realises he doesn't have the ball anymore. Worpel just needs to embarrass Danger in a contest next year and he's ticked off the holy trinity ;)

That 'Hurley play' is amazingly overrated on here. He's done better and more impressive things in essentially every game since then.
I think it’s rated so highly because a 19 year old kid in a very big moment won a 1v1 against a very capable defender and essentially won the game.

I think it’s rated so highly because a 19 year old kid in a very big moment won a 1v1 against a very capable defender and essentially won the game.

Hurley just fell over. He wasn't out bodied by Worpel or beaten in the contest or pushed out by Worpel. He just kept his feet is all. He's done so many more praise worthy things in every game essentially.

I know people will think I'm ragging on the kid, but I'm not.

Hurley just fell over. He wasn't out bodied by Worpel or beaten in the contest or pushed out by Worpel. He just kept his feet is all. He's done so many more praise worthy things in every game essentially.

Looked more like Hurley dropped himself to the ground after he was convincingly beaten.

I understand what you are saying though, he has done better things, just a big moment for a kid in his sixth game is all.

people underestimate the value of a player that can keep there feet all the time, look at Breust, it's valuable

you see players fall over all the time when they shouldn't, some seem to do it as an excuse to fail from time to time as well

he could have easily panicked or been beaten in the one on one before the ball hit the deck

He had hurley behind him, held him out enough that Hurley couldn't mark and then was able to keep his feet when Hurley couldn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back