stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Consolidated draft profile:
Jarrad Grant - 6 July 1989, 191cm 77kg. Vic Metro/Dandenong/Frankston Bombers
"???: Grant is a very athletic player from the Stingrays who has been playing primarily as a forward in 2007 after playing a bit more of a utility role (including some defensive roles with good effect) in 2006. Good spring, safe hands and strong attack on the footy, the knock on him is he seems to decide when he will go and when he wont - can appear as 'lazy'.

TOA:Dogs could pull the first mini surprise of the draft and select Grant at pick 5. Word is that Scotty Clayton is very interested in this young forward. While some might argue the Doggies would be paying slightly ‘over the odds’, Clayton has shown in the past that doesn’t bother him as long as he rates the kid high enough. Clayton also made an interesting comment on radio a couple of months back when he was certain they bloke he wanted 5 (and 19) would be available at his respective selections. If Clayton wants Grant, he will have to take him at 5 because there is little chance he will be available at 19. An extremely athletic forward who is very creative and clever he will be an interesting player to watch on draft day.

Weaver:27. Now Ben Reid was an outside key forward who played like a wingman and never threatened to go near a contest. He got drafted super-early and looks a natural for the Demetriou Netball League. Grant is a player who divides opinions. Some see him as the buzz who could go top-10. Some scratch their noggins wondering what the fuss is about. I am in the itchy camp. He does a bit. Moves well, presents well, gets some marks. But I always go away asking "is that all their is?" There is talent there but he really is needs to work on the quality vs quantity balance, eventually a couple of cameos is no substitute for posting some serious numbers. Apparently Scott Clayton is sold on him … personally I’d never let Clayton make a call on anyone over 6 foot.

Originally Posted by nevil
to say that grant is going to drop to 27 is amazing you must not really watch much footy but just take everyone elses opinions
scott simpson and jarrad grant were the leading tacklers and 1% getters for the vic metro team and you say they both dont follow up enough or tackle you are a silly silly man and your opinion should not be valued as much as it is

Would have been interesting to see if he would have been still available at 19. If so we could have claimed someone like Mcevoy at 5 and still got Grant.

The ???? quote was mjp's, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure that Grant would've still been there at 19 like your speculating.

Would have been interesting to see if he would have been still available at 19. If so we could have claimed someone like Mcevoy at 5 and still got Grant.

Yeah and Cotchin would have slipped to 45

Please give me a break Grant would have went top 10 for sure

What I cant wait to hear for the first is this from a bulldog fan

If you were only as good as the other Grant

Looking at his video package, nice touch of arrogance. Impressive and has a good frame to build some muscle on.

It did look good.. From that small grab it looks like he reads the ball well and has good hands, but I guess the highlight package are the 'highlights'. In saying that he looks a good prospect and it's great that we have a tall forward on our list with some real talent.

With his current frame he isnt going to be able to take a lot of those contested marks against men, but he might be able to play an elusive role similar to a bob murphy style half forward until he fills out.

We know Welsh will be lining up at FF for the next two years anyway.

hey guys i am new to the forums...i will firstly introduce my self. Well i am 17 years old male and live in Melbourne. I have barracked for the dogs since i was 5 years old and have through and through with them since. I am a huge huge footy fan, i know almost everything there is to be known (mostly about dogs), from players to numbers, to weight, there stats for matches etc.

Now today i was like a school girl seeing Matt Corby(Aus idol guy) for the first time. I was that excited when i watched the draft live. And when they called out Jarrad Grant i started to dance and rejoice with happiness, because finally we have a tall forward.
I mean honeslty i am sick to death of watching the ball go into our forward 50 to only to be marked by the oppositions smallest defender. The ball goes in to be quickly taken out by the other team. The only real time we get goals is on the lead, never in a contested situation. It pissess me off :mad:but now that we have Grant (who will need about another 20 kilo's of muscle) our problem is almost solved. Regarding a tall forward what the hell is up with Mcdougal? i mean why doesn't he go forward? he is a huge guy and can obviously kick goals yet Eade puts him down back??? it puzzles me. However after today i am so dam excited to seeing our new pups in action, especially looking forward to seeing Hudson and Grant play.

thanks guys and hope to see you around more.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey guys i am new to the forums...i will firstly introduce my self. Well i am 17 years old male and live in Melbourne. I have barracked for the dogs since i was 5 years old and have through and through with them since. I am a huge huge footy fan, i know almost everything there is to be known (mostly about dogs), from players to numbers, to weight, there stats for matches etc.

Now today i was like a school girl seeing Matt Corby(Aus idol guy) for the first time. I was that excited when i watched the draft live. And when they called out Jarrad Grant i started to dance and rejoice with happiness, because finally we have a tall forward.
I mean honeslty i am sick to death of watching the ball go into our forward 50 to only to be marked by the oppositions smallest defender. The ball goes in to be quickly taken out by the other team. The only real time we get goals is on the lead, never in a contested situation. It pissess me off :mad:but now that we have Grant (who will need about another 20 kilo's of muscle) our problem is almost solved. Regarding a tall forward what the hell is up with Mcdougal? i mean why doesn't he go forward? he is a huge guy and can obviously kick goals yet Eade puts him down back??? it puzzles me. However after today i am so dam excited to seeing our new pups in action, especially looking forward to seeing Hudson and Grant play.

thanks guys and hope to see you around more.:thumbsu:

Welcome to the board. Firstly, Grant is exactly a towering forward height wise. But will be a taught to be a 2nd/3rd string forward. So i suppose you can still be pissed off. The Bone Man on the other hand could be that ape between the sticks you are after.

he is a huge guy and can obviously kick goals yet Eade puts him down back???

Umm obviously can kick goals? Really? Since when is it obvious seeing as though he has never done that?
McDougall, well he clearly failed as a forward this year and played some special games at Werribee as a back man and was in the dogs best players when played down back. Go figure - Eade kept him there.

Welcome to the board. Firstly, Grant is exactly a towering forward height wise. But will be a taught to be a 2nd/3rd string forward. So i suppose you can still be pissed off. The Bone Man on the other hand could be that ape between the sticks you are after.

Umm obviously can kick goals? Really? Since when is it obvious seeing as though he has never done that?
McDougall, well he clearly failed as a forward this year and played some special games at Werribee as a back man and was in the dogs best players when played down back. Go figure - Eade kept him there.

Thanks for the welcome

You are correct Grant's hieght is exactly what we need because having a key position forward who is 6 foot 4 inches is something we havn't had for a long long time. Yes he isn't as big as the other forwards in the draft or in the afl, but his marks overhead and his contested play is exactly what we need.

As for Mcdougal if i am not mistaken he did kick 7 goals against essendon when he was playing with West Coast as well his stats from this years Werribee games have shown some bags of goals under his name. But i am not sure, i think he should go forward until Grant gains some weight then if he doesn't fit in the forward line put him down back to help out Harris with the tall opposition forwards.

The bone man who is that lol?? sorry i am new to forums so not familiar with the nicknames hahaha.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite us. The boy is a super talent. Lets hope they can influence his development above his shoulders.

191cm where do you think he will pay FF or CHF?

I believe he is 192.4 cm but anyway. I think he might play the early part of his career as a forward pocket. Until he gets a good feel of the game and gains some muscle. Then i think he may move to CHF and stay there for the rest of his time.

It should be very interesting to see how Grant develops, if he plays some games in 2008 that would be great, probably as a half forward flanker - he certainly has the pace. Glad that we have taken a proven footballer here, instead of an athletic freak who may or may not develop. Grant produced awesome numbers in the TAC cup: 8 matches, 3.4 goals, 17 disposals, 2.9 contested marks (best) and 84% disposal efficiency (best). Very exciting.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite us. The boy is a super talent. Lets hope they can influence his development above his shoulders.

I know what you are saying. There is no question that he has the talent but in alot of cases this is not enough. Brad Gotch will need to do a bit of work with him.

I am really wrapped at getting Grant. The only thing that worries me is the timing.

IMO, by the time that he is ready to make an impact(maybe 3-4 years), Johnson, West etc will have gone.

So, while I am delighted at getting a key forward, I wish the recruiters could have done it years ago.

Many of the clubs(including Bulldogs) have a draft recruiting policy of picking the best player rather than the best fit. And years of this policy, and you have the current bulldogs team, heaps of speedy, skilful midfielders and no one over 6 foot to kick it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back