Toast 5 Lions in All-Australian Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard just had Lachie and Nat Fyfe on the couch having a chat. Gerard asked Nat if he’ll have an eye on Lachie during the finals.. Nat responded that he’ll be wearing his Brisbane Lions jumper and that he’s so impressed with what the club has done this season and how well Zorks has led them.

Come up to Brisbane Nat.

Fages says the biggest issue with coaching this team would be the midfielders fighting over who would get the most time in the middle...

Says it all really that there are too many midfielders in the team.

Chris Scott chimes in that he has never seen Patrick Dangerfield on the HF flank but they had to squeeze him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It appears...if in doubt put Pendles in was in effect again.
So typical wasn't it.

Whilst I'm salty on Zorko missing out, I think I'm even more salty that Dan Rich didn't make the team (how he didn't make the top 40 is even more incredulous).

That backline in the AA has effectively 5 talls with Houli being the only "small".

Its a shame the AA squad is how it is. The names stand out, but would be be a fully functioning team (i.e at what Fages said).

I'm super proud of all three of our guys who got in, fully deserved.

A rock down back with the most 1%'s by far, I think most spoils and 6th for intercept marks? (Andrews has I think this year got his ratio of intercept marks:spoils more efficient)
A midfielder who is just a ball magnet who get the hard ball and extracts it, but also sets up plays on his own. The work ethic Neale has brought this year is really awesome.
And finally a small forward who can turn the game on its head. Charles is great at that frenetic and chaotic goal frenzy. Would he be more efficient in a seamlessly gelled forward system? I don't know, but he's certainly entertaining!

I hope next year the selection squad can see the value of McCluggage on the wing... With a more efficient midfield group Zorko can be more damaging in the half forward (well his defensive pressure is already AA worthy.. I guess they want more goals... or something). Rich will keep up his form and get that efficient penetrating kick going.. I guess maybe they wanting more defensive stats or something.

So typical wasn't it.

Whilst I'm salty on Zorko missing out, I think I'm even more salty that Dan Rich didn't make the team (how he didn't make the top 40 is even more incredulous).

That backline in the AA has effectively 5 talls with Houli being the only "small".
Hurn is small too.

I don't mind Houli and Hurn making it but there should've been a defender on the bench instead of stuffing in more mids, and Rich should've been a candidate for that. He definitely should've been in the squad too.

This thread should probably double as the "Award Season" thread, so in the event it does, this belongs here:

The AFL Players’ Association MVP Award nominees for 2019 have been revealed, ahead of the awards on Thursday, August 29.

The nomination for the MVP Award is a two-stage process. The first involves players nominating three teammates for the award, before three nominees from every club are presented to the wider playing group for a vote to decide the winner. Players cannot vote for their own teammates in stage two of the process.

Alongside the Most Courageous, Best Captain and Best First Year award nominees, the league’s players have nominated the three players they believe are their most valuable.

MVP: Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko, Harris Andrews

Most Courageous: Mitch Robinson

Best First Year: Noah Answerth

Captain: Dayne Zorko

Do they name a coach ?
Yep....It's the season's premiership coach

Edit: 1998 was the final season in which the coach of the All-Australian team was not necessarily the premiership coach.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back