Retired Matthew Boyd (#904)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quietly from what I've gathered about Boyd, this is the complete opposite.

But on topic: lets burn down Whitten Oval. It's clearly the only answer to poor disposal in the first match of the season. Lets see if he gets to an acceptable level when they are actually playing proper games.

What changes did you see from last season?

The more of the ball he gets, the more the ball gets butchered. Unfortunately for all the improvement in his game, aspects of which are now elite, that fundamental remains a major concern.

No. Does not have it in him. Too proud a footballer to sacrifice his own game to support better footballers to have an impact.

How do you know he wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice his game to help the side? Has he been asked to do this and refused?

I can understand having a go at players for their poor disposal, which Boyd was terribly guilty of but basically accusing Boyd of putting himself above the team is rubbish

Yes his disposal is bad but its unfair to single him out. We have far more worse issues.
As a team we just play dumb football. Far too easily coached against, on field there seems to be no leadership when the opposition team flood back. i know its only nab cup and we may be trying different things but it just doesnt look organised.

Cordy is a big worry for me, i just can't see him improving to any acceptable level. He does nothing a big man should do he is so god damn slow. Based on tonight i'd have big Jack in front of Cordy any day. At least he had a presence.
Lower should be in our team every week and Goodes should NEVER get a game.

just a few times he could have gone harder at the ball and totally ****ed up what was happening, also seen him stop once the ball left the area, gotta be running and making position all the time. He wasn't the only one and wasn't our worst, but i'd expect more from a veteran who should have a footy brain. Some bad things he did just stood out to me

just a few times he could have gone harder at the ball and totally screwed up what was happening, also seen him stop once the ball left the area, gotta be running and making position all the time. He wasn't the only one and wasn't our worst, but i'd expect more from a veteran who should have a footy brain. Some bad things he did just stood out to me

Well that's just utterly ridiculous to be frank.

Goodes should NEVER get a game.

Couldn't disagree more with this.

Not only should Goodes get a game, but I think there's a real chance he'll get 20 of them. He was almost our best kick on the field.

He is going to be our go-to guy to deliver from the backline all year. The fact that we need to get a 29 year old to do that is a problem, but hopefully one we can work on throughout the year.

Obviously far too early to notice any massive changes.

But these are some of the minor improvements I noted (all of them may be one-offs for all we know of course)

-Pearce seems more confident. I'm becoming more optimistic about him.
-Grant played more consistently.
-More linking up with aggressive handballs (at least in the 2nd game). And even more TRYING to (the sooner we see the back of the backwards handpasses to a stationary player, the better).
-Goodes and Lower looked like very useful pick-ups.
-Smith might be on the verge of taking a step up. He seemed to be in the right place a bit more than he used to be.
-Not so much stacks on the ball. More players waiting a few metres off the pack. That's smart play. It's the way Sydney set up. You don't need more than 2 or 3 players at the contest, max. Ideally you'd have one - the player who wins.
-Morris! Morris! Morris! Thank Christ he's back! He changes the whole defensive set-up. I'd take him over 2 Lakes.

Then there were a whole lot of things that didn't change (also not drawing any conclusions yet).

The ones that lodged clearest in my mind were Cordy and Howard playing identically to how they played at the end of last year. And the fact that our disposal was still atrocious, which leads us to the topic of this thread.

On that note, I have every confidence that Boyd will stop distributing so much as other players step up. His disposal has always been a problem, and always will be. Thankfully, he will never need to be tapped on the shoulder, because he'll retire before we're a legitimate contender again.

Griffen had 8 touches 6 clangers, Dahlhaus 5 touches 2 clangersPickens 2 touches 2 clangers......Boyd didn't turn over half his touches like these guys did, the untouchable squad who supporters see with rosé coloured glasses as they are nice players to watch
Yes I agree, but that's the whole point of this thread. It starts from the captain down, if he can not hit the side of a barn door what hope do we have for the team, as he is the leader.

It's the god damn NAB cup. If our skills were at their peak, I'd be far more shocked then I am to here we looked a bit rusty.
They were the same skills as all of last season, Mac has been telling us it's a area we have worked on over the pre season. If that's the case you would have expected to see some sort of improvement 1st game of a NAB cup or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the god damn NAB cup. If our skills were at their peak, I'd be far more shocked then I am to here we looked a bit rusty.

Here we go again, excuses being made for the club. All preseason we hear a focus has been on improving disposal. They come out in their first hit out and absolutely butcher it. So please excuse us for stating the obvious that nothing has changed.
And please excuse us for wondering just what the hell we did all summer if that was a focus.

And yes Boyd is by far the worst, not alone but easily the worst. Unfortunately what stats don't count is kicks not hitting targets... Clangers are different. I reckon we would miss a target 75% of the time.

How anyone could have left last night with a positive feeling about the year is beyond me.

For me like others cordy is a worry- perfectly put before - zero presence.
Goodes is being extremely harshly judged by someone above. His kicking and jjs run out of defence will be crucial if murphy - who is a terrible handballer by the way, goes forward

Mac has been telling us it's a area we have worked on over the pre season. If that's the case you would have expected to see some sort of improvement 1st game of a NAB cup or not.[/quote]

I just dont think this man is going to take us to a elite level he might build a team of culture and quality people but if you listen to Paul Roos during the game you could here him pick the crap out of our foward set up and game plan

Mac has been telling us it's a area we have worked on over the pre season. If that's the case you would have expected to see some sort of improvement 1st game of a NAB cup or not.

I just dont think this man is going to take us to a elite level he might build a team of culture and quality people but if you listen to Paul Roos during the game you could here him pick the crap out of our foward set up and game plan

Put simpky - He is not match day coach - yet to see a move or tactic that has swung or won us a game. He is a development coach plain and simple. Leon Cameron is known to be far better tactically yet we went with who most in the industry regard as Australia's best Dev coach given the age of our list. And it maybe that was the right way to go- however when our youngsters do mature we are going to need to see some influence from the coaches box.

Yes I agree, but that's the whole point of this thread. It starts from the captain down, if he can not hit the side of a barn door what hope do we have for the team, as he is the leader.

So let me get this clear in my head Staphy, Boyd steps down as Captain and our kicking efficiency automatically improves.... He was the reason Griffen, Dalhaus, Picken, Lower and even Murphy (I'm sure we can both name more out of last nights game) missed targets all night...??

Sure you are, I'm just waiting for the threads on Griffen, Dahlhaus and Picken who butchered the ball even more tonight, oh wait they are favourites so that won't happen

They didn't butcher it as much and many times they were under pressure

Some of Boyd's disposal errors under little pressure resulted in opposition goals

This is fair criticism as it was late last year when it was also happening

It was clearly noticeable in Game 2 against Collingwood when Boyd was not playing and Clay Smith, Picken + Higgins got more time in the middle the side was moving the ball better through the middle

Boyd get a lot of ball - but he must work on fixing up his disposal and decision making which are not good

So let me get this clear in my head Staphy, Boyd steps down as Captain and our kicking efficiency automatically improves.... He was the reason Griffen, Dalhaus, Picken, Lower and even Murphy (I'm sure we can both name more out of last nights game) missed targets all night...??
Where did I say he should step down and our kicking efficiency improves. So maybe get this clear in your ******* head, As a leader he needs to set the example.

I understand some posters maybe a little slow, so from now on I will spell it out a bit clearer.

Put simpky - He is not match day coach - yet to see a move or tactic that has swung or won us a game.
Getting very sick of this.
1) Senior coaches have little game-day impact. They simply do not do much on the day.
2) You realise that B-Mac engineered Geelong's 3x premiership game plan, right? Not Bomber Thompson, B-Mac. Many Geelong supporters, players and staff have acknowledged this. Ask any non-one-eyed supporter and they will tell you how he developed it.

Where did I say he should step down and our kicking efficiency improves. So maybe get this clear in your ******* head, As a leader he needs to set the example.

I understand some posters maybe a little slow, so from now on I will spell it out a bit clearer.

Maybe we should makes Goodsey captain, then we will be the best kicking team in the comp? Yes, you should spell it out a LOT clearer, because you make very little sense. He was right to question you, but you snapped. Meltdown may arrive earlier than I thought.

Didn't see the games, had been a s**t day with lightning strikes and no rain (everything's so ******* dry) so was on the truck.

But I'm not going to hang the guy on the back of one mickey mouse 20 minute game. It's a new year so wait and see in the real stuff.

I'm also getting sick of (not you dry rot) people using the "quality people" line sarcastically to denigrate the team. Wake up idiots, that was one line by the coach which is used almost league-wide to talk about recruits. Most teams use it in some form - either by talking about a recruit's character, or a "no dickheads" policy. If you seriously think we're not picking good players purely because they aren't saints off the field then you are kidding yourself.

And don't mention Garlett, because there's a difference between a ******** with talent and someone who absolutely would not be able to commit to a professional system.

No need to start personal attacks. And maybe you should be a little clearer, because you make almost zero sense.

On that note, I have every confidence that Boyd will stop distributing so much as other players step up. His disposal has always been a problem, and always will be. Thankfully, he will never need to be tapped on the shoulder, because he'll retire before we're a legitimate contender again.

This.

The only reason we see him butcher the ball so frequently on the run as the distributor is because he's pretty much the only one that works hard enough to get to that spot.

I dont blaim Boyd entirely for his poor disposal - Sometimes when you have woeful players around you , it makes your own possession look worse sadly..... Boyd looked ok with say Barrl Hall and Akka and Johnno etc on the end of his kicks, but when you have the likes of Cordy and Jones and Grant on the end of it, your disposal will look even worse...
Sorry but I just can't agree with that one bit, if he (and the rest of the team) actually kicked the ball to advantage of Cordy, Grant and Jones then we would have no problems. Chuck Barry, Aker and Johnno in the forward 50 last night and there would be a bit of improvement but I doubt it would be very noticeable, you just can't expect forwards to play well with that sort of disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back