May 3, 2015
Tahiti
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Zyzz is God
nakia_still.jpg

Nakia Cockatoo

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-27/nt-thunder-player-snapped-up-by-geelong-in-afl-draft/5923884

Fast Facts
Jumper No:
Weight: 82
Height: 185cm
DOB: 23-10-1996
Recruited from: NT Thunder

The other half of my two favourite kittens! I was fortunate enough to have a few chats with Cockatoo at the Sydney game + he is such an intelligent + gifted guy. While he needs to hone his craft a little, I can't wait for him to burst his way into the team. I'd have kept him in, dunked him in the deep end + I think he'd have been OK. But I must acknowledge that those wiser than I were concerned for his confidence. Just want to see another wonderful Geelong '5'.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
What are posters thoughts on how Nakia is travelling? The injury is a shame as he would benefit from playing more games. Lever has started to play some very good football for Adelaide and those two will always be compared. Nakia has the attributes to play the game like Dangerfield he is strong, hard at the ball and can burst out of the packs. We haven't seen him really accumulate disposals at either Vfl or afl level yet what does he have to do to get there? Was he ever able to do that at junior level?
Do people think he will become that sort of player or more of a lower possession and make them count type of player?
No doubt he will be a very good player for Geelong for a long time but it's going to be interesting to see if he can reach the heights he looks capable of. Of the younger players we've got some that look like being good players but he's one of the few that could become elite and are under 21.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
It took Danger until his 5th season to average 20 disposals across a season.

Cockatoo is in his 2nd year, it will take time until he becomes an accumulator.

When Danger is on the wane Cockatoo will start hitting his straps :)
Hopefully they can spend some time dominating together

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Its a bit hard to gauge whether Cockatoo will accumulate possessions, I'm not sure of his tank either, he seems more an explosive/impact player, but I could be wrong in that respect.

I think he has some serious talent, and is strong at the contest. I like his attributes - speed, strength, kicking, tackling.

I don't think he will be a defender, as he seemed to look a little uncomfortable in one-on-one marking contests deep in defence.

I think he will amaze us more than he will disappoint us, and he will make those silly errors given the pace he moves the ball.

You can't question his intent or tenacity, but I'm not sure whether he will be a great player, a good player, or a solid contributor.

What do people think?

I think Cocky will add to his game this year. Agree he wont be a defender but his speed and explosiveness gives him great tools to add defensive pressure to his game.

We've seen his tackling improve last year. Add to that some more physicality to his frame and it bodes well with a bigger tank that just come naturally with time.

Based on the speed and skills ive seen, his ceiling is very high - but i dont want to label it purely for undue expectations.

His best is game changing. The ability to consistently produce that becomes the issue.

17 will be a good year for the 5

Go Catters

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Do people think he will become that sort of player or more of a lower possession and make them count type of player?

I believe he will be the opposite.
He loves the contest and physicality side of the game. Once his tank gets to the point of being able to run like elite midfielders can, he will be racking up 20+ disposals on a regular basis.

He won't be one of those types who drift in and out waiting for the cheapies like some of our current players do, he will be one of the guys taking it upon himself to contribute as much as possible.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Just saw on the GFC website on the Playing List he is now up to 89kgs. He might turn into a unstoppable machine this season when ball in hand and at full flight.

Nakia

Cocky extended by 1 year to end of 2020.

Good for everyone this is.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Traded to BL for a Future 3rd.

IT seems once he got his rig right he didnt want to push it at GFC anymore...

Sad... lots of potential

GO Catters

Regards: Cockatoo

Former Geelong forward Nakia Cockatoo has been hit by another injury set-back just as he was nearing an AFL debut with Brisbane.

Cockatoo had played five VFL games in a row and was showing the explosive speed and tackling pressure he is renowned for as he built confidence in his body.

But he was taken out of last week’s game after only one possession with hamstring tightness and will not play VFL this week.

Brisbane had hoped he was only weeks from playing his first game for the Lions as a potential finals wildcard.

The club hopes he will train next week and build back up to a position where he can push for a senior game with Brisbane.

He continues to work on pushing himself through minor niggles and pains after becoming understandably cautious about his body.

The Lions have had a number of breakthroughs in allowing him to test the limits of his body without injuring himself.

But the latest setback will clearly push his potential AFL return to the last week weeks of the season.

Back