AFL Autopsy 5 pt loss v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Clown AFL. The non-call was correct because of the 'vibe' of the game but he's charged with conduct unbecoming three days later.

So he can't post on bigfooty for a day.

I agree it should have been a free kick and Rampe who is a good footballer is an arse clown But just for the record I don't recall the outrage with Dustin Fletcher. Sinclair should have been given another free kick. At 1.27.00

Didn’t they change the rules after this? If so was it a rule back then? Genuinely asking.

I agree it should have been a free kick and Rampe who is a good footballer is an arse clown But just for the record I don't recall the outrage with Dustin Fletcher. Sinclair should have been given another free kick. At 1.27.00

Why come to our board and post something blatantly wrong. You don't get 2 kicks - if the first shot had missed, it would have been brought back to the goal line and the shot taken again.

Rule 17.11.1
Unless Law 7.11.3 applies, a free kick shall be awarded against a player or official who:
a) intentionally shakes a goal or behind post (either before or after the player has disposed of the football); and / or
b) a player or official climbs the goal or point post.

Should umpires be following common sense?
Yes, where the rule is ambiguous.
Determining climbing is at umpire’s discretion and includes but is not limited to unreasonably holding or touching the goal or point post, holding or touching the goal or point to create a distraction, and holding or touching the goal or point post which changes the dimensions or surface area of the post (because of the players or officials body).....

Gil McLachlan believes in umpires following ‘vibe’ of the rules where appropriate. He is absolutely right.

Tom Browne :drunk: I would have thought climbing the post and shaking it is pretty ******* clear.

Last edited:
Disappointed and lost because we didn't have forwards helping out Raz.
This is not funny anymore. Ambrose, Hurley, Stringer, Smith, Bellcho, Zaha & Walla can, should, have played and can all go forward and kick goals ffs....and our most experienced Baguley just wtf did he do all game?

Lol read the rule before posting.

If the kick goes through for a goal, then no free kick is paid and the goal counts.

If the kick goal does not go through for a goal, then a free kick is paid on the goal line.

That kick was a goal and therefore, no free kick is paid.

Disappointed and lost because we didn't have forwards helping out Raz.
This is not funny anymore. Ambrose, Hurley, Stringer, Smith, Bellcho, Zaha & Walla can, should, have played and can all go forward and kick goals ffs....and our most experienced Baguley just wtf did he do all game?
Yeah Baulgey was INVISIBLE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting view in the Age, Michael Gleeson thinks we were dudded. Probably not as blatant as TBC’s push in the back just before Rohan’s mark two years ago but by letter of the rules it should have been paid. As Gleeson said it’s like ignoring a player running over the mark....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-a-changing-of-the-guard-20190512-p51mkn.html
Essendon deserved to lose with their heartless performance, however, when Gill comes out saying the umpire made a practical decision, it shits me to tears! If the umpire saw it, he should’ve paid a clear free kick. If the match review committee fined Rampe they were acknowledging a monumental stuff up - never going to happen. It’s supposed to be a professional sport, 4 points this season to Essendon is a spot in the 8, those who put money on the Bombers (and of course us tragics) SHOULD feel dudded!

As if rampe would not have realised what he was doing was wrong? Even if ypu are not aware of the exact rule, if I'd been playing a sport my whole life and never seen anyone do it, I'd say it's against the rules.

I've thought about it for a while, it would have been tough on sydney to lose that way and rampe would be feeling horrendous about it. However, it's a rule and it was a clear and obvious breach seen by the umpire. It should have been a free kick and essendon winners (if myers kicks it).

As if rampe would not have realised what he was doing was wrong? Even if ypu are not aware of the exact rule, if I'd been playing a sport my whole life and never seen anyone do it, I'd say it's against the rules.

I've thought about it for a while, it would have been tough on sydney to lose that way and rampe would be feeling horrendous about it. However, it's a rule and it was a clear and obvious breach seen by the umpire. It should have been a free kick and essendon winners (if myers kicks it).

Couldnt care less about Rampes feelings personally or how tough it would be for sydney.

The umpire runs straight to him and tells him to stop even before Stringer was signalling so obviously the umpire knew and simply didnt have the guts to call it knowing it will cost them the game.

As Hinkley said last year a decision like that can cost his team a finals spot and possibly his job. Imagine we miss out on a finals spot by 1 game or just percentage this year. Very likely Woosha isnt there next year. Ofcourse you cant put the cause of that decision specifically on this one incident but something to considered about the effects.

No matter how many times I hear Rampe climbed the goal post it will still be less than the amount of times we bombed it inside 50 straight to him. Maybe if we didn't kick it to him so often we wouldn't have been 5 points down when the siren sounded.

Nobody disputes that we were ****. But you can't fob off the rules. The umpires are there to officiate the integrity of the game. Irrespective of how **** we are, the rules state we should have gotten a free. Hate, like it, whatever, that's the reality.
100% correct, should've been paid. Non decisions like that could cost coaches jobs and teams finals.
At the time I was more pissed off with the way we have stuffed up the last quarters of our last two games. [meant anzac day]

Last edited:
So what we should all now celebrate is Channel 7's ability to turn a coverage into being about it's commentary team for, of all reasons, botching the pronunciation of a player's name having not even asked the player what he likes to be called.

My theory about Channel 7's coverage is that Roy Masters and a few other NRL douche bags employ a Russian troll farm to endorse the coverage, make suggestions and complete surveys.

Well played Roy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back