Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

You may recall from last Wednesday, one of our mods (Jatz) saying:

"So one of the best posters on this site is a chef/baker up in Echuca.

Said SPS and 1AW came in to his bakery today - apparently SPS wanted to get away from the city for a day or two. Nice to hear 1AW is looking out for the kid. Although I don't know if it's concerning he's already looking to get away from the city this early on."

Just a few observations:

1. Walks is obviously doing a great job making Samo feel at home. Getting into some warmer weather and doing things he grew up doing and presumably loves. We are clearly not taking Samo's transition for granted and doing everything we can to make him feel comfortable.

2. The club is being intelligent and flexible when it comes to its players. What seems like unusual mid-week prep looks inspired following his weekend performance. I really like this approach. You can be fair to all while being flexible on an individual basis. Shows real maturity from Bolts as a young coach. Would be so easy for a young coach to be inflexible. Says much about the coach and the man.

3. So pleased that Walks played out his career at Carlton, and didn't end up at Adelaide. This welfare role is so vital in footy today with all kids, but obviously indigenous kids in particular. Walks seems like a great choice.

I was thrilled when Walks got that job. He has a lot of voice on the track and is a relatable bloke. Great initiative from the club.

On a side note Jatz isn't a Carlton mod. I think we rejected him for having flat feet. :D

You may recall from last Wednesday, one of our mods (Jatz) saying:

"So one of the best posters on this site is a chef/baker up in Echuca.

Said SPS and 1AW came in to his bakery today - apparently SPS wanted to get away from the city for a day or two. Nice to hear 1AW is looking out for the kid. Although I don't know if it's concerning he's already looking to get away from the city this early on."

Just a few observations:

1. Walks is obviously doing a great job making Samo feel at home. Getting into some warmer weather and doing things he grew up doing and presumably loves. We are clearly not taking Samo's transition for granted and doing everything we can to make him feel comfortable.

2. The club is being intelligent and flexible when it comes to its players. What seems like unusual mid-week prep looks inspired following his weekend performance. I really like this approach. You can be fair to all while being flexible on an individual basis. Shows real maturity from Bolts as a young coach. Would be so easy for a young coach to be inflexible. Says much about the coach and the man.

3. So pleased that Walks played out his career at Carlton, and didn't end up at Adelaide. This welfare role is so vital in footy today with all kids, but obviously indigenous kids in particular. Walks seems like a great choice.

If the size of the fish he caught (instagram) is anything to go by, he won't want to leave.

I was thrilled when Walks got that job. He has a lot of voice on the track and is a relatable bloke. Great initiative from the club.
Max Gawn was talking earlier this season how hard it is for players that didn't come from the structured environment of private schools to adapt to the meetings and complex game plans in the AFL. It is awesome for Samo (and the other indigenous boys) to have Walks to be there for him and not be overwhelmed by Bolts and all the jargon

On a side note Jatz isn't a Carlton mod. I think we rejected him for having flat feet. :D
Ohhhh, was that why? Finally some answers... :D

Congrats SPS on the rising star nomination - well deserved by a player that has that special bit of magic about him.
Listening to him speak on various media outlets this week and it seems he has his head screwed on pretty well.
Findinging about about his journey to AFL, his 'younger years' and especially the 'Rodeo tales' where you have the 8 seconds where things can go well or really badly and the perspective it gives to a game of footy made me think they aligned loosely with Keith Miller's comments about 'pressure' and perspective. Something along the lines of 'a cricket match isn't pressure - a Messerchmitt up your ar$e shooting at you is real pressure'.
SPS seems to have had some of the hard knocks where he can appreciate the 'game' side of AFL. Watching him on the MCG last week on a huge day for both clubs and I reckon he looked like he was born to play there. Loved it!!

Apparently Bolts was seen in a costume hire shop renting a fish outfit. Just love the lengths we're willing to go to. He's a small man but he can impersonate a large fish.
large fish? think if you caught a Bolt-sized fish you would probably have to throw him back for being under the legal sizing

Must read:-

The making of Petrevski-Seton

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-11-26/the-making-of-petrevskiseton

23-Going-Places-sam-petrevski-seton-option-6.jpg

23-Going-Places-sam-petrevski-seton-4.jpg

I remember reading this months ago, but re-read it anyway.

Such a great story.

Feel free to re-post this on a regular basis, Aph :)

Not wanting to put SPS into a position unwillingly, but I had a thought ..

What do you think of some kind of competition/raffle where the winners (maybe a group of 5 or so) get to take a trip to the Kimberley, including Halls Creek, with SPS showing some sights, and all money raised going to the benefit of Halls Creek community and/or the greater region, whether it be to the schools or sporting clubs or something else of benefit? Could be done in October, which is the end of the dry season (not ideal but only time SPS could be involved).

The visitors receive a unique educational experience as well as exploring a small part of the Kimberley, which will be shared by broadcast to some degree across Melbourne/Australia, Halls Creek receives significant funding and Carlton takes a lead on exploring indigenous culture, which will benefit through increased exposure of the positives and negatives. In addition, the local kids get to see one of their own fulfilling his incredible ambitions and Samo, no doubt, will appreciate the Club for taking an active interest in his culture and life.

On a side-note, it'd be a great experience for the players to visit SPS's home country as well - visit the schools etc.

I know the Kimberley is a massive area and ideally takes weeks/months to explore (haven't been since I was 3yrs old!). I guess something around 10 days, including a couple of days in HC (which is typically not one of the regions attractions) could work.

Just a thought.

Not wanting to put SPS into a position unwillingly, but I had a thought ..

What do you think of some kind of competition/raffle where the winners (maybe a group of 5 or so) get to take a trip to the Kimberley, including Halls Creek, with SPS showing some sights, and all money raised going to the benefit of Halls Creek community and/or the greater region, whether it be to the schools or sporting clubs or something else of benefit? Could be done in October, which is the end of the dry season (not ideal but only time SPS could be involved).

The visitors receive a unique educational experience as well as exploring a small part of the Kimberley, which will be shared by broadcast to some degree across Melbourne/Australia, Halls Creek receives significant funding and Carlton takes a lead on exploring indigenous culture, which will benefit through increased exposure of the positives and negatives. In addition, the local kids get to see one of their own fulfilling his incredible ambitions and Samo, no doubt, will appreciate the Club for taking an active interest in his culture and life.

On a side-note, it'd be a great experience for the players to visit SPS's home country as well - visit the schools etc.

I know the Kimberley is a massive area and ideally takes weeks/months to explore (haven't been since I was 3yrs old!). I guess something around 10 days, including a couple of days in HC (which is typically not one of the regions attractions) could work.

Just a thought.

I'm sure the club, in good time, and with SPSs lead, will have contact with the community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good a job is Walks doing with transitioning Samo into being a professional athlete. Compare back ten years ago to when JON left Richmond and no one realised he could n't read (not a knock on Richmond more on the industry).

And to think I worried about the chance he mightn't have what it takes to get 100% out of himself. Thought he might have been an enigma like Wells. It only took one listen of Samo talking to turn me around and believe he was made of the right stuff.

How good a job is Walks doing with transitioning Samo into being a professional athlete. Compare back ten years ago to when JON left Richmond and no one realised he could n't read (not a knock on Richmond more on the industry).

And to think I worried about the chance he mightn't have what it takes to get 100% out of himself. Thought he might have been an enigma like Wells. It only took one listen of Samo talking to turn me around and believe he was made of the right stuff.

I hear what you're putting down, but Samo sounds like a self-starter.

Like Weiters, someone who is going to push themselves. Always focusing on breeding success. And when they fail, they try twice as hard.

Samo may come from a small, remote town, a long way from the world of afl. But he's got big time ambition and drive written all over him.

I hear what you're putting down, but Samo sounds like a self-starter.

Like Weiters, someone who is going to push themselves. Always focusing on breeding success. And when they fail, they try twice as hard.

Samo may come from a small, remote town, a long way from the world of afl. But he's got big time ambition and drive written all over him.
Samo is without doubt a self starter, which if you talk to AFL coaches is surprisingly rare in draftees. It is definitely something that SOS and the coaching staff are now placing high value on.

Despite Samos great character, being an AFL footballer isn't easy and providing a support network is important for him to make the transition, even though he could do probably do it all himself.

Samo is without doubt a self starter, which if you talk to AFL coaches is surprisingly rare in draftees. It is definitely something that SOS and the coaching staff are now placing high value on.

Despite Samos great character, being an AFL footballer isn't easy and providing a support network is important for him to make the transition, even though he could do probably do it all himself.

:thumbsu:

Draft motivated kids and provide them with the support they need to reach their best.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Samo will be a 200+ game player baring injury. Its just so exciting thinking about how good he really could be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back