Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

SPS could play. For whatever reason, Teague saw fit to play him in a role to which he was not suited, and he's gone now in no small amount due to it. People (for whatever reason) didn't warm to him, and he copped significantly more flak than his performances warranted. I take leave to question why that is; people are welcome to disagree with me for whatever reason.

Nobody ever said that SPS wasn't a talented player, many have questioned his commitment and desire based upon, you know, this funny thing called his onfield performance. He copped considerably less flak than other players on our team have copped( Plowman is one example, Levi Casboult for years, Murphy this year). Players don't perform to whatever expectations people have and they will be criticised, it's as simple as that.

dylan_mike1 said:
I'm glad he's gone. Let West coke eagles enjoy his 10 meter side kicks.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

And people wonder why I wonder.

And here we have a perfect illustration of how nebulous that your claim is. I will say that I disagreed with this post that you quoted when it was originally posted, I thought it was poor but there is nothing in that which you can point to and say 'that's racist'. In this case Geth, I'm afraid that you're barking up the wrong tree, this is really poor posting and critical analysis on your part. You're normally better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest most of the dissatisfaction if not all of it is related to his (lack of) onfield output and nothing else. Even though all draft picks should be equal once they walk through the door, in reality high draft picks are always subject to more scrutiny by fans because expectations are high. It's the expectation gap between potential and output that causes angst. Seeing occasional glimpses of SPS' talent exacerbates this.

In relation to the radio interview, SPS had heaps of opportunity to cement a midfield place but he very rarely got enough of the ball. He got a lot more continuity (until this season) than others on the fringe of the team.

Good luck to him elsewhere, hopefully he can turn his career around.

I think it's rather silly to completely wipe away the good performances he had in favour of a coach who set us back two years on the basis of comments made by Steven Silvagni on SEN. You know, the same SEN that gets people's knickers in a twist whenever Cane Kornes opens his mouth or Gerard Whateley explores the edges of his thesaurus to say something.

SPS could play. For whatever reason, Teague saw fit to play him in a role to which he was not suited, and he's gone now in no small amount due to it. People (for whatever reason) didn't warm to him, and he copped significantly more flak than his performances warranted. I take leave to question why that is; people are welcome to disagree with me for whatever reason.

And people wonder why I wonder.

TBF, he had 94 games and 94 opportunities to nail a role in the best 22. He didnt make the most of it.

It's definitely there Arrow, not the first time that it's been alluded to. Anyway, at the end of the day he is an unfulfilled talent who was given 94 opportunities at the top level who never performed consistently or at the level we all expected him to. There is no doubting that he's a talented player but the reason that many aren't particularly upset by him going is that he seemed to lack the desire and hunger to succeed. Whether that is a fair reflection upon him or not, it is the perception.

I know that we want to blame Teague for everything but SPS was given the opportunity. I don't accept the 'he was played out of position' narrative either. Whether you are playing your preferred position or not you have to give 100% for the team.

I'm disappointed with how it ended, I think we all had high hopes for SPS. His departure won't make the difference between us being successful or not ,we move on and I wish him all the best for the rest of his career. Interesting to read his interview after he joined West Coast where he said he was willing to play wherever the team need him to play but he hoped that long term he would play in the middle.

Not sure if you’re inferring SPS didn’t get an opportunity because he’s indigenous? If yes - wow!!!

IMHO he got plenty of opportunities as a mid and did not nail it.

So he was tried in defence and didn’t nail it there either.

Sad to see him go but it’s up to him now. WC have an ageing midfield and they clearly wanted him.

No excuses for SPS going forward.

Not sure if you’re inferring SPS didn’t get an opportunity because he’s indigenous? If yes - wow!!!

IMHO he got plenty of opportunities as a mid and did not nail it.

So he was tried in defence and didn’t nail it there either.

Sad to see him go but it’s up to him now. WC have an ageing midfield and they clearly wanted him.

No excuses for SPS going forward.

You managed to totally misread my post and basically say the same thing I did.:think:

"The pick is irrelevant once you walk into the doors"

This isn't really true though. Sam Ramsay gone after 2 years. Dow and LOB will get their 5th years in. SPS wouldn't have been delisted and would have got a 6th year if he stayed.

There is no doubt higher picks are given far longer to make it.

This isn't really true though. Sam Ramsay gone after 2 years. Dow and LOB will get their 5th years in. SPS wouldn't have been delisted and would have got a 6th year if he stayed.

Very true.

To a large degree yes, normally the likes of SPS, Aish, Lewis Taylor, Toumpas types will be given a go at other clubs, that whole change of scenery thing, but selection/output shouldn't be compromised

Samo was just interviewed by the pipe on SEN - started with "bit early here in WA but lets get into it"
it's 10.30 am over there FFS!!
i love the kid but it kinda says it all right there ...........................................
Could well have been pre-recorded.

Yup. Sunk cost effect definitely more in play with high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming back from a knee injury today in the practice match vs Freo for context, not showing much, jogging around with 4 touches and a point so far.
Sad Sighs GIF by Achievement Hunter

Think he's going to regret requesting a trade back to WA.

No doubt he had a tough time developing as a footballer at the Blues, but the Eagles are going to need to go through a rebuild and as much as that should give him the opportunity to dig in and earn a spot he he's struggled during trying times at a poor club already.

A clean slate with a new coach and a more defined role is what he needed, and that could have easily come with Voss at Carlton. I'd prefer him as the high half-forward over Jack Martin currently.

Think he's going to regret requesting a trade back to WA.

No doubt he had a tough time developing as a footballer at the Blues, but the Eagles are going to need to go through a rebuild and as much as that should give him the opportunity to dig in and earn a spot he he's struggled during trying times at a poor club already.

A clean slate with a new coach and a more defined role is what he needed, and that could have easily come with Voss at Carlton. I'd prefer him as the high half-forward over Jack Martin currently.
Was there honestly a spot for him at Carlton? The writing was on the wall and he was lucky enough to get a second chance at the Eagles right when he needed it.

I hope he takes that chance because he seems a ripping bloke with plenty of ability.

Was there honestly a spot for him at Carlton? The writing was on the wall and he was lucky enough to get a second chance at the Eagles right when he needed it.

I hope he takes that chance because he seems a ripping bloke with plenty of ability.
I'm of a similar mind. I was watching tonight (despite being close it was a flat game) mostly to see him play, 8 touches, 0.1 off 60%ish game time playing of a HFF. Certainly looked off the pace.

Hope it clicks soon.

I still like SPS. However...

He didn't really develop under Bolton. He arguably showed even less growth under Teague despite being played in a few positions and being given extended assistant coaching from the likes of Power. That's multiple coaches and at least one who we hold in high regard.

He is fundamentally the same footballer, with the same mentality and constitution that he entered the AFL with.

The list management team, who have generally drawn praise didn't really bother to fight - hard - for him to stay and were very light on his sunk cost fallacy.

I'd like for Samo to put it all together but the likelihood of it happening aside from those one or two "wow he could be a star" performances each year is extremely low.

Nothing in how the Eagles used him today showed me anything to convince me otherwise even when posed with the potential of them easing him through it.

Samo is what Samo is. We have better on the list. If he truly wanted out he'd have been better off playing somewhere that if he puts it together he puts it together (e g. GCS) rather than at a club who's fans will eat him alive when he warrants it.

I still like SPS. However...

He didn't really develop under Bolton. He arguably showed even less growth under Teague despite being played in a few positions and being given extended assistant coaching from the likes of Power. That's multiple coaches and at least one who we hold in high regard.

To be fair, our midfield set-up the last few years has been an absolute cluster****, and I don't think we can really say that Power had any control over it. What we saw on Thursday night was incomparable, and that's not because we had Hewett and Cerra, and a fitter Cripps and Kennedy. It was due to how we were drilled.

To be fair, our midfield set-up the last few years has been an absolute cluster****, and I don't think we can really say that Power had any control over it. What we saw on Thursday night was incomparable, and that's not because we had Hewett and Cerra, and a fitter Cripps and Kennedy. It was due to how we were drilled.
Was a combination of both. Our set up and how we were drilled was an amazing step up on the last umpteen years, however an additional 60 generally quality disposals between Cerra and Hewitt made a big difference as well as opposed to 35 poss effort from two other mids from last year (ie a 15 possession game from Dow and 20 odd disposals from Ed for example.)

Was a combination of both. Our set up and how we were drilled was an amazing step up on the last umpteen years, however an additional 60 generally quality disposals between Cerra and Hewitt made a big difference as well as opposed to 35 poss effort from two other mids from last year (ie a 15 possession game from Dow and 20 odd disposals from Ed for example.)

For sure, but also, how many of those extra touches were short handballs that were made due to our set-up, which would not have been made last year, no matter who was there?
We were also down Walsh's contribution.

For sure, but also, how many of those extra touches were short handballs that were made due to our set-up, which would not have been made last year, no matter who was there?
We were also down Walsh's contribution.
Totally, the whole centre square complex is a different beast. Proper structure with quality personal executing on it. Was amazing to watch. Genuinely haven't seen centre square structure and clearance work like that since I was a kid.

He is fundamentally the same footballer, with the same mentality and constitution that he entered the AFL with.
This is the big point I think, I loved what he could do. The 3 brownlow vote game in his first season that sort of thing, but theres literally been 0 development. He's probably actually lower than when he joined due to injury and shattered confidence. Hopefully he gets going for the eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back