Opinion 5 Toughest Cats You've Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Tough as in go in anywhere to get a ball with absolute, single minded focus, Joel and Danger.

Just plain tough, Snr, Buddha, Card, Bews

Tough but mad, Woodman.

Fearless, Bartel, Colbert, Lonergan

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Just one thing re that last qtr - how well Gordon Hynes played

Bob Davis actually once said on that League Teams - that Hynes should have been a better player than Goggin - he actually said that - i think there might have been a bit of angst between Bobby and Billy at that time

But Hynes should have played alot more than the 50 odd games he played - because he had alot of natural talent - as evidenced by that 63 last qtr
I liked the boy from North Geelong too but a bit of a loose canon,as in hot head at times.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Thanks GOB....a really enjoyable half hour watching the 63GF...amazingly clear footage. I was amazed I could remember every player and their numbers....and I was pretty young when it happened. I was a boy fanatic! Only the boy bit has changed!!

The only one that caught me out was Scott...#14...didnt remember him. Thanks so much for the referral. For those who haven't seen it, link is below.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/older-premiership-wins.1209624/
You would remember Terry Callan no7 he sustained a serious knee injury late in the 1963 season against Carlton that seen Scott get a chance,Callan managed a couple of games in 64 but never got back,Ainsworth I think eventually filled that spot around 66 or 67.

Last edited:

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I liked the boy from North Geelong too but a bit of a loose canon,as in hot head at times.

He ended up the Leigh Matthew's / Tom Hafey of the GDFL / GFL at North Shore.

From memory he only ended up in about '83 after he had his jaw broken.

He knocked back the Geelong coaching job in the 80s, they gave it to Devine in the end.

Last edited:
Reading through this thread and thinking of the kind of player Max Rooke was, as well as re-watching the 2009 Grand Final on the weekend, Rooke should have won the Norm Smith that day for sure. Chappy played a great game, but when the game was there to be won, Rooke was in amongst it, throwing himself everywhere and playing an inspirational game.

He definitely showed characteristics of someone who is tough that day - resilient, determined and selfless
Have to agree with you SparkleNarkle. Also loved that Rooke kicked the first + last goals, his determination, despite the game being won, kicking that last goal so his mates would get beer, because the Publican promised a free shout for every goal he kicked.

That tackle on Raph Clarke was the epitome of Rooke, which is now a legendary meme/gif.

I spoke to Enright that night, mentioned that I'd wished Rooke had played + Enright said all the players would have loved him out there + we talked a bit more about Rooke + Boris said that Rooke was the toughest player he'd played with + seen, + Selwood was right up there.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Peter Featherby
Craig Biddiscombe
Adam Houlihan
Darren Forssman
Steven Handley
Shane Kersten
Ben Graham
Craig Alderdice
Billy Smedts
Murray Witcombe

A few tough calls there. I think we all have differing opinions on soft players etc.

I remember Darren Forssman mainly because he missed pre-season training one night due to sunburnt soles on his feet.

How Domsy isn't at the top over everyone's list is confounding to me.

The mental toughness to get back playing sport let alone AFL is amazing but then to play it without any hesitation for personal safety beggars belief

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Peter Featherby
Craig Biddiscombe
Adam Houlihan
Darren Forssman
Steven Handley
Shane Kersten
Ben Graham
Craig Alderdice
Billy Smedts
Murray Witcombe
Seriously?!? Steven Handley would have to be the most unaccomplished key defender that the Cats have had innits best22 on my watch.
HE
DONE
NOTHING
!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Garry Ablett Snr was not tough. He lined blokes up, and ran through them.....nothing tough about that.
Rarely saw him shape up if ever when confronted

For mine:
1. Joel Selwood (captain courageous)
2. Mark Yeates. (Could legitimately fight)
3- Ray Card (actually put the fear of god into people)
4. Ken Hinkley. (Often put his health at risk by taking intercept marks in front of charging forwards). Never shirked it. (Honourable mention to Tommy Lonegran for exactly the same reason)
5. Garry Hocking. (Would take on anyone, including John Worsfold in his beastly prime)

* James Parsons unlucky to miss out :$

Mr Blicavs - for what it's worth, I had a look at some of his highlight package and some of his marks were pretty courageous in terms of flying back into packs. I wouldn't have called him tough in the Selwood sense but for the most part he was pretty tough.

Seriously?!? Steven Handley would have to be the most unaccomplished key defender that the Cats have had innits best22 on my watch.
HE
DONE
NOTHING
!

Would that be because Handley was more of a key forward/ruckman?

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
with all the names getting thrown around on this thread, I thought that he might get a mention.
Another guy that I would like to give special mention to is Jason Snell. I was heartbroken when he had that career ending break.</3
Used to bob up and kick critical goals for the Cats with his reliable kick when they needed it, which should at least be indicative of his mental toughness.

Last edited:

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Another guy that I would like to give special mention to is Jason Snell. I was heartbroken when he had that career ending break.</3
This made me think of Barnesy.
Underatedly tough cause he was a bit of a character.
Undersized and used to cop a hammering.
Players used to go after him a bit too. Might've made a few enemies in footy circles.
And that broken leg!

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
This made me think of Barnesy.
Underatedly tough cause he was a bit of a character.
Undersized and used to cop a hammering.
Players used to go after him a bit too. Might've made a few enemies in footy circles.
And that broken leg!

Barnesy is a good one. For me he always seemed to finish a game with nothing left to give. He was a rippa. It's terrible to read about the state he's in now.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Just one thing re that last qtr - how well Gordon Hynes played

Bob Davis actually once said on that League Teams - that Hynes should have been a better player than Goggin - he actually said that - i think there might have been a bit of angst between Bobby and Billy at that time

But Hynes should have played alot more than the 50 odd games he played - because he had alot of natural talent - as evidenced by that 63 last qtr

Glad to read that you enjoyed that last quarter of the '63 GF; the footage is really good isn't it.

Completely agree with your assessment of Hynes, he was as dynamic as any during that decisive quarter, had 3-4 shots on goal from memory.
Your mate Goggin also very good; could turn his opponents inside-out with ease, and I liked big John Watts down back, very clean overhead.

I absolutely love the 1951 footage, you get a good look at Bernie Smith in action, and some nice cameos from the likes of Fred Flanagan, Bob Davis, George Goninon and Peter Pianto.

As for toughest Cats, its Buddha for mine, ahead of Selwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back