5 Years on we still here

Remove this Banner Ad

It was easy really.
Just had to do the exact opposite of what Foley said to do.

Simples.

The amount of morons both internally and externally who said our salvation lay in being less Port.

They know who they are.

Literally what in * is this analogy

"Port Adelaide was working off "too small" a market. It had limited appeal. Indeed, more South Australians hated Port Adelaide.

In a business context, this was like having the Pepsi franchise in the Coca-Cola homeland of Atlanta."

Literally what in **** is this analogy

"Port Adelaide was working off "too small" a market. It had limited appeal. Indeed, more South Australians hated Port Adelaide.

In a business context, this was like having the Pepsi franchise in the Coca-Cola homeland of Atlanta."

It only works in the context of pivoting towards being Generic Franchise 2.0 aka South Coast Power.

Rooch's form in those years was deplorable.

It only works in the context of pivoting towards being Generic Franchise 2.0 aka South Coast Power.

Also, I'm on my way now to grab a refreshing beveridge at my local "Pepsi franchise".

Hey Port chuck your USP out the window followed by your soul that'll get double-blue bums on seats!

The amount of morons both internally and externally who said our salvation lay in being less Port.

They know who they are.
It was laughable that anyone could believe that we would increase our supporter base by becoming Crows Lite

What section of the population would Crows Lite possibly appeal to? :huh:

As for those people proposing that we would be more successful if we relocated to Tasmania :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't get it then. Most of them don't get it now. But we do. We know how close it was.

We know why we sang so strongly on 29 March 2014 and every home game since.

We could live
For a thousand years
But if I hurt you
I'd make wine from your tears
I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why
I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
And they could never ever tear us apart

The irony here should never be forgotten. We were told, repeatedly, to get out of our postcode, to grow the pie beyond Alberton, to be more Power and less Port. We were told to be plastic carbon copies of Max Basheer's wet dream to appeal to God knows who in a saturated market. No ******* clue. We stood firm, declared "We Are Port Adelaide" and went global. * the haters. Where is the irony? The irony is we have a club that has international appeal while our most direct competitor is limited by state borders. State colours, state name and state song are suddenly claustrophobic when compared to an international approach.

Last edited:
The fundamental misunderstanding of how to engage and grow a sports club supporter base by both the likes of Foley AND some of the people who actually ran the club was horrendous. I shudder to think how close we might have been to actually pulling the trigger on something like Southern Power.

We were probably the most poorly marketed team in the league at that point. Now we're #1.

Disagree. I think Rucci's article more than subtly suggests that abodoning the heartland, abandoning Port Adelaide, is the wrong move.

It was laughable that anyone could believe that we would increase our supporter base by becoming Crows Lite

What section of the population would Crows Lite possibly appeal to? :huh:

As for those people proposing that we would be more successful if we relocated to Tasmania :rolleyes:

Almost any other industry and that tactic would have been a viable option.

The problem is, football has an intangible aspect to it that can't just be read 'by the numbers'. It's why you need football people as a part of the board and executive. It's why a strong football culture is the most valuable asset in a club. It's why things like NTUA grow organically from the supporter base. It's tribal.

People might say they're passionate about their iPhones or Oreos or LandCruisers, but football fans, regardless of code, would die for their team. They certainly wouldn't shift over to a 'generic brand x' alternative.

I'll always detest Rucci for peddling this narrative too. The guy stirred the pot so much to our detriment that I'll never consider him a friend of the club.

Disagree. I think Rucci's article more than subtly suggests that abodoning the heartland, abandoning Port Adelaide, is the wrong move.

I tend to agree. I think Rucci had several key articles that were intended to—in his own clumsy manner—ignite the heartland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back