50 - 1 Paul McCartney

Remove this Banner Ad

29 - Say, Say, Say - Pipes of Peace - 1983

This hit duet was a successful fusion of old pop masters McCartney and George Martin with the emerging forces of MTV, dance beat and the phenomenally talented and popular Michael Jackson. The two high profile musicians had forged an unlikely friendship with yielded 3 songs over 1981 and 1982 with duet "The Girl is Mine" featured on Jackson's "Thriller" album and also the lesser of the 3 "The Man" found on Pipes of Peace which received a great boost on the strength of "Say Say Say" and the second single, the underrated falsetto of "So Bad". Back to Say, Say, Say Paul and Michael trade verses in an energetic and exuberant vocal performance befitting of the two stars. This song spent 7 weeks at #1 in the US but didn't reach the high mark in the UK where it peaked at #2. My favourite part of the song besides the vocals was the lively harmonica playing. The song is very much of its time but does not sound dated. Some people hated the song but I loved it and many believed Paul had lost it and was selling out. This duet was win win for both men in my opinion. Paul to this day enjoys working with younger stars best demonstrated with his FourFiveSeconds collab and yes that was Macca's melody and song structure. Say Say Say got a nice re-mix last year as part of a Pipes of Peace re-release to fantastic results it sounds as great as ever. The video was a hit too with the theme of Paul and Michael taking a travelling magic show through Mid West America featured La Toya as Michael's love interest which was a little disturbing but was entertaining nonetheless.

Original and Video

2015 Remix

28 - Queenie Eye - New - 2013

Queenie Eye ably demonstrates that Macca has not lost his knack of putting out a catchy feel good pop song into his 70's. Written around a game that Paul used to play as a youngster in Liverpool but wider applied to various situations in life. Paul lands an epic hook "Queenie Eye, Queenie Eye, whose got the ball? I haven't got it, It isn't in my pocket, O-U-T spells out, thats out" with the chorus in a joyous and celebratory way as depicted in the below video with a few of his friends and kudos to producer Paul Epworth who does very well in bringing out the best in McCartney's pop tunefulness for a new generation. Ringo joined Paul on stage at last years Grammy's to perform this song where even Yoko Ono was captured getting down and boogying.

27 - Silly Love Songs - Wings at the Speed of Sound - 1976

Paul takes clear aim at his critics re: his songwriting tendencies with the irresistible slice of pop that rocketed to #1 on the charts at what was the peak of Paul and Wings popularity and features some of the best vocals that Wings committed to tape, perhaps Linda's most beautiful harmonies. SLS is very clever in its construction and with a killer bass line the song is anything but lightweight and still sounds great on the radio. Also performed on Wings over America Live Tour the song was performed once again for Maccas 1984 Give My Regards to Broadstreet Film and given an 80's spin. Paul has the classic rebuttal line "but whats wrong with that?"

Studio Version

1984 Give My Regards to Broadstreet Version :eek:

26 - With a Little Luck - London Town - 1978

Another #1 single from Macca and Wings it might not have the immediate grab and hook of his other more catchier pop rockers however With a Little Luck will eventually win you over and leave an impression as a very endearing keyboard driven melodic delight and Macca's voice was so good at this time and like most great Wings songs Linda and Denny provide Paul with terrific harmony vocals.

25 - Hi, Hi, Hi - Single - 1972

My favourite Wings single, the rocking and controversial for its sexual and drug connotations Hi, Hi, Hi. The song starts with a steady rocking beat and crazy slide guitar work and is a song to sing out loud and jump around to so not to suprising that it absolutely rocked live however the fun police at the BBC banned the song which off course made it more popular. It is very much of the early 70's glam rock scene and one of Macca's few forays into that world. The best part of the song is when it picks up some pace as if simulating the reaching of an orgasm perhaps thats my perception of it perhaps you may agree if you would like to take a dabble below:

Early performance

Wings over America performance hows that slide guitar!!

40 years later Paul still belts this out with special guest Bob Weir:

Last edited:

Paul takes clear aim at his critics re: his songwriting tendencies with the irresistible slice of pop that rocketed to #1 on the charts at what was the peak of Paul and Wings popularity and features some of the best vocals that Wings committed to tape, perhaps Linda's most beautiful harmonies. SLS is very clever in its construction and with a killer bass line the song is anything but lightweight and still sounds great on the radio. Also performed on Wings over America Live Tour the song was performed once again for Maccas 1984 Give My Regards to Broadstreet Film and given an 80's spin. Paul has the classic rebuttal line "but whats wrong with that?"

Studio Version

This is indeed as silly song but thanks to the horns remains one of my favourite McCartney tracks. Great film clip which gives you some perspective of the age of the song when we see Stella and Mary McCartney as very little girls. Both are now in their mid to late 40's!

24 - Magneto and Titanium Man - Venus and Mars - 1975

Macca's very own cartoon character story song that shows his fun quirky side and showmanship as a performer. Macca has always loved using his many and varied voices as he brings these characters to life. Wings get on board with some solid keyboard work by Linda, their harmonies and a ripping guitar solo.

Well I was talking last night
Magneto and titanium man . . .
We were talking about you, babe,
Oo --- they said ---
You were involved in a robbery
That was due to happen
At a quarter to three
In the main street.

I didnt believe them
But when the crimson dynamo
Finally assured me, well, I knew

You were involved in a robbery
That was due to happen
At a quarter to three
In the main street.

So we went out
And the crimson dynamo
Came along for the ride

We went to town with the library
And we swung all over that
Long tall bank in the main street

Well there she were and to my despair
Shes a five-star criminal
Breaking the code

Magneto said now the time come
To gather our forces and run!!!
Oh no . . . . . .
This cant be so . . . . . .

And then it occurred to me!

You couldnt be bad
Magneto was mad!
Titanium too!
And the crimson dynamo
Just couldnt cut it no more
You were the law . . . . . .

23 - Listen to What the Man Said - Venus and Mars - 1975

Another cracking chart topper from McCartney this time boasting a feel good New Orleans/Philly sound with some stunning saxophone and beautifully clear vocals from both Paul and Wings and don't you just love the instrumental score at the end of the song? I have since heard the melody of this song being used by so many others.

Studio Version

Wings over America Live

More recently, not too bad hey

The Wonder of it all Baby.

22 - Helen Wheels - Single - 1973

Named after the McCartney's Land Rover nicknamed Hell on Wheels "Helen Wheels" is a raucous and exuberant rocking top ten single released by Paul and Wings on the cusp of the mighty Band on The Run album. With its clever and engagingly adventurous lyrics and some rapid fire guitar work for a song that is virtually one long A chord with a quick change to E here and there it fast became a fan favourite and sounds cracking to this day.

21 - No More Lonely Nights - Single/Give My Regards to Broadstreet Soundtrack - 1984

A big ballad that was a Top Five hit around the world was to some people the biggest positive to come from the Give My Regards to Broadstreet Film/Soundtrack release which saw Paul star alongside Linda, Ringo, Barbara Bach, Sir Ralph Richardson, Tracey Ullman amongst others in what was essentially a charming collection of music video performances based around a plot of a musician on the search for stolen master-tapes through London. Outside his biggest fans the film was considered a flop and the start of a brief decline in his career at least critically and he copped flack by his decision to re-record several Beatles songs however did come up with 3 originals the Stonesy "No Values", The Pretenders like "Not Such a Bad Boy" and off course the song that comes in at #21, No More Lonely Nights.

It begins with Paul's vocal alone then the piano builds into a power ballad with a fine orchestral score and what elevates the song from a typical McCartney ballad to a memorable one is the scintillating inimitable guitar work provided by mate David Gilmour with the musical styles of both men melding beautifully and seamlessly.

The music video below closed out the film as well and whilst was a worldwide hit seems a little forgotten when it comes to discussions of Paul's solo moments which this is one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Studio Version

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I have always believed this song to be a crack at John Lennon who had criticised him for writing "silly love longs" while he was busy writing songs that "changed the world".

Hmm not sure mate but i did hear that John was quoted in saying that he was happy to sit back between 75 and 79 as long as Macca was releasing rubbish. Then John heard Coming Up in 1980 which encouraged him to get back into the studio

Hmm not sure mate but i did hear that John was quoted in saying that he was happy to sit back between 75 and 79 as long as Macca was releasing rubbish. Then John heard Coming Up in 1980 which encouraged him to get back into the studio

I looked at the songs wiki page.

It says we are both right!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_Love_Songs

"Silly Love Songs" was written as a rebuttal to music critics, as well as former Beatle and friend, John Lennon, accusing Paul McCartney of writing lightweight love songs.[3] Author Tim Riley suggests that in the song, McCartney is inviting "his audience to have a laugh on him," as Elvis Presley had sometimes done.[4]

20 - My Love - Red Rose Speedway - 1973

Paul's first #1 single with Wings dedicated to the love of his life Linda, an enduring romantic piano ballad utilizing an orchestra that has become a standard with a lot of airplay and a cracking guitar solo from Henry McCullough. A highlight for me is Paul's vocal break the end the song, as recently as early this century he still pulls this off beautifully.

Many years later - also includes some other song you may know

19 - When the Night - Red Rose Speedway - 1973

I have included this underrated and dynamic tune that could be described as falling somewhere between pop folk and gospel/soul particularly Paul's vocals. The captivating arrangement is very reminiscent of his work on Ram however the lyrics and sounds hints at Wings emerging sound that they would capture over the Venus and Mars to London Town period when they were at their commerical peak as a group.

18 - Bluebird - Band on the Run - 1973

A beautiful acoustic folk/jazz number so atmospheric and sparse and one of the great songs from the classic rock album "Band on The Run" This song also excelled live on stage and even in the most impromptu moments such as Wings waiting in an airport, etc. Among Paul's finest compositions during his solo years.

17 - Goodnight Tonight - Single - 1979

A somewhat overlooked single the Flamenco disco flavoured Goodnight Tonight has a thumping melodic bass line, some amazing percussion playing and tight harmonies from Wings. Along with it's B-Side "Daytime Nighttime Suffering" it is often cited as the best Wings songs never to make an album and would have turned 1979's "Back to The Egg" into a better received album as fine and diverse as it was. Surprisingly Goodnight Tonight didn't become a live staple of Macca's show, perhaps it is a song of its time but i see and hear a lot of enduring qualities and dont think it has particularly dated like some other disco era songs, it isn't even disco I dont think. Take a listen and let me know?

The B Side to the single, maybe you have never heard this song:

And recently Macca joined Damon Albarn for the African Express and they dug out Goodnight Tonight

16 - Pipes of Peace - Pipes of Peace - 1983

The title track is my favourite song from Paul's often maligned "Pipes of Peace" album and it has one of his very best music videos set in World War 2. The song carries a relevant message to this day. The melody is great you really need to sit down and listen it can be easy for some to dismiss this song as standard lightweight fare but over the years this song has grown on me immensely. Just love the marching band drums on the verses really add to the song. Pipes of Peace was one of his last #1 hits in the UK.

15 - Venus & Mars/Rockshow - Venus and Mars - 1975

The ultimate concert and album opener much like Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was intended Macca puts you in the crowd waiting in anticipation for the show and then bang! its a Rockshow with classic rock guitar thumping bass and Paul wailing away. Surprisingly this song was not a bigger hit but its impact as the opener for the might Wings over America was spot on. The lyrics are awesome on both sections of this song.

Studio

Live with Wings

It was resurrected in part for a large South American Crowd not so long ago

14 - Here Today - Tug of War - 1982

Paul's loving and poignant tribute to his songwriting partner and friend John Lennon sung accompanied by his acoustic guitar and George Martin providing just the right string accompaniment this song has touched many fans as much as it clearly still affects Paul who plays this song at almost every live performance that he makes in homage to John. Its very heartfelt.

Studio

Live

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back