Player Watch #50: Ben Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Always felt Brown was a great pick up and was a bit confused why North discarded him - other than that they were focussed on 5 years from now.

Brown is an incredibly difficult match up for any defender, particular one on one. His performance on the weekend warrants the MFC's investment and then some. Seems a very humble and great guy as well. Very happy for him.

Always felt Brown was a great pick up and was a bit confused why North discarded him - other than that they were focussed on 5 years from now.

Brown is an incredibly difficult match up for any defender, particular one on one. His performance on the weekend warrants the MFC's investment and then some. Seems a very humble and great guy as well. Very happy for him.

The actual trade was:-

"The Kangaroos acquired picks 26, 33 and the Demons’ future 4th round selection (currently tied to the Brisbane Lions) in exchange for Brown, pick 28 and its future 4th rounder." Reference: North stuffed up

Pick 26 and 33 have been traded to Collingwood for Stephenson and Bosenavulagi. Reference: North trade picks to Magpies
- And well I really do like Stephenson that whole trade is rather average at this point. I do hope he grows up and delivers though.

Melbourne are also paying Brown well unders as well, so sub 750K ( I don't have a reference for that).

It was such a staggeringly bad deal for North all around at this point, and amazing for Melbourne, they must have thought he was cooked.

The actual trade was:-

"The Kangaroos acquired picks 26, 33 and the Demons’ future 4th round selection (currently tied to the Brisbane Lions) in exchange for Brown, pick 28 and its future 4th rounder." Reference: North stuffed up

Pick 26 and 33 have been traded to Collingwood for Stephenson and Bosenavulagi. Reference: North trade picks to Magpies
- And well I really do like Stephenson that whole trade is rather average at this point. I do hope he grows up and delivers though.

Melbourne are also paying Brown well unders as well, so sub 750K ( I don't have a reference for that).

It was such a staggeringly bad deal for North all around at this point, and amazing for Melbourne, they must have thought he was cooked.
I dunno it's not that bad for North. He still only played a handful of good games for us because of injury. North are rebuilding.

They end up with Stephenson who was pretty good for them in return, Collingwood the one who's ****ed

I doubt North would have missed out on Stephenson if they hadn’t traded Brown, they’d have found some other way to get him in. But clearly BBB wasn’t going to make any difference to them this year. Was a good bit of dealing from them regardless of if Stephenson is a bust or not. It’s not really relevant to the Brown deal.

I dunno it's not that bad for North. He still only played a handful of good games for us because of injury. North are rebuilding.

They end up with Stephenson who was pretty good for them in return, Collingwood the one who's f’ed

Firstly, Collingwood I totally agree are utterly stuffed for, I think, at least 2 more years on draft picks.
- Stephenson might be the modern day Jack Watts. I believe in his ability but not in his focus, which does not matter as I think North would have gotten him anyways without this trade.

If North retained Brown, they would not have a 22 year old (just turned 23) holding down the key Forward position in Larkey who does look good (43 goals) but has no tall support. (So a forward line of Brown/Larkey/Stephenson/Zurhaar is looking rather special).

My viewpoint only:-
Brown played 10 regular games this season, and returned 19 Goals 8 points. We can hope for around 40 goals next year. Indirectly, he is an anchor, and creates opportunities for other forwards. Proven KPF are rare as hens teeth I feel, and the Dee's got one for very little.

I can only conclude that North thought a) He is cooked, b) Xerri and Larkey will not need any help transitioning into being the stand alone key forwards, c) Salary cap concerns ?

That is why I think they got it wrong, or gambled and got it wrong.

Firstly, Collingwood I totally agree are utterly stuffed for, I think, at least 2 more years on draft picks.
- Stephenson might be the modern day Jack Watts. I believe in his ability but not in his focus, which does not matter as I think North would have gotten him anyways without this trade.

If North retained Brown, they would not have a 22 year old (just turned 23) holding down the key Forward position in Larkey who does look good (43 goals) but has no tall support. (So a forward line of Brown/Larkey/Stephenson/Zurhaar is looking rather special).

My viewpoint only:-
Brown played 10 regular games this season, and returned 19 Goals 8 points. We can hope for around 40 goals next year. Indirectly, he is an anchor, and creates opportunities for other forwards. Proven KPF are rare as hens teeth I feel, and the Dee's got one for very little.

I can only conclude that North thought a) He is cooked, b) Xerri and Larkey will not need any help transitioning into being the stand alone key forwards, c) Salary cap concerns ?

That is why I think they got it wrong, or gambled and got it wrong.

Mate there doesn't have to be winners and losers of every deal. North don't wanna pay 700k to a bloke who missed half the year anyway. We could take that gamble.

Would he make them better. Probably yeah.
He's 30 and he's had knee issue. He might play another 40 games before retirement and he doesn't seem like a cultural glue fella.
Win for everyone I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Bruce with a knee really hurt the Dogs.

They wont have him for most of 2022 too, so will have to do something this trade period to replace him with JUH and Darcy still too young
They'd be really stupid not to go after Ladhams from port

Mate there doesn't have to be winners and losers of every deal. North don't wanna pay 700k to a bloke who missed half the year anyway. We could take that gamble.

He's 30 and he's had knee issue. He might play another 40 games before retirement and he doesn't seem like a cultural glue fella.
He is 28

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Also, the way the GF was framed from both sides was that Dogs had the better depth running through the midfield and we had the "stars" (Gawn, Trac, Oliver) and less depth after that.

I think it showed that star power wins out in big games - you can only have 4 blokes in the bounce, it doesn't matter who's sitting on the bench or what gun mids you have sitting on a half forward flank.

If Trac and Clarry get injured next year we are fooked

Woop Di doo Basel
It makes a big difference though

He is 30 with doggy knees and might get a year or two out of him

Or he is 28 coming off some knee problems as he hits his peak years

If Trac and Clarry get injured next year we are fooked
We are, but if only one of them is injured, Dunstan is a handy depth player. I think our game style can cope with a rotation of personnel as long as at least one of Trac/Clarry is always there. We still need them both to be playing to win another flag, but I'd say we could keep racking up premiership points through the H & A season with the midfield depth we've acquired. even with some injuries to Trac and Clarry. If both of them were out though - things could get ugly.

As long as they’re fit in September and we finish top 4, we’re still a chance. Even with just one and a midfield of Viney, Sparrow, JJ, Brayshaw, Langdon, Harmes and someone like Dunstan or running Rivers/ANB/etc through there with Gawn/Jackson I’d still expect to win most games. Obviously any team that loses its two best midfielders for a significant chunk of the season (esp during finals) is cooked. Goes without saying.

I am not sure where you get the 30 from. He is 28 and 10 months, this is part of his peak period as a player. And no you don't have to have winners and losers of every deal, I never said that, but sometimes that is the case and this is the case at this point in time*.

*If his knees fail him and the club only gets a few more games then sure I will have egg on my face for calling this.

It makes a big difference though

He is 30 with doggy knees and might get a year or two out of him

Or he is 28 coming off some knee problems as he hits his peak years

29 in a few weeks. Had knee issues for a couple years and id very much doubt his peak years are ahead of him. Regardless not really the type of player north need. It's been a good deal for every one involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back