Player Watch #50: Ben Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Youre so concerned about always appearing to be right that you talk absolute nonsense....you say it was the correct decision to give him a 4 year deal (this is only becoz you were on board with bringing him in at the time of signing, lets face it) while now saying we should cut him a year later coz hes a spud.

Not sure if youre aware but nobody is taking his contract, he cant be "moved on" meaning even if we were to cut him, his current contract would still be in our salary cap. Thus we would be carrying dead money for the next two years and making it a terrible contract that people should obsess over.

If we keep using your method of handing out 4 year deals to "spuds that could kick straight provided they got the ball, which is about 4 times a game" and cutting them 2 years in we'll be in the bottom 4 before you know it.
You realise that everything I said and everything you said can both be true? Yes, I wanted to bring him in. Yes, I'm aware that nobody is taking his contract. Yes, it would be dead money. I'm not suggesting that we keep bringing in spuds on 4 year contract but the issue is that his end has come very quickly. You realise that it's dead money whether we cut him or not? He isn't an afl calibre playing so it's irrelevant whether he is cut or playing for Casey.

You realise that everything I said and everything you said can both be true? Yes, I wanted to bring him in. Yes, I'm aware that nobody is taking his contract. Yes, it would be dead money. I'm not suggesting that we keep bringing in spuds on 4 year contract but the issue is that his end has come very quickly. You realise that it's dead money whether we cut him or not? He isn't an afl calibre playing so it's irrelevant whether he is cut or playing for Casey.

My entire point was not caring about lengths of contracts is stupid. You absolutely should care. Its the type of stupidity that can stop you from signing a big name player from another club or be the difference between keeping someone you want to keep or having to let them walk. Being ~500k short while in a premiership window is a terrible way to go about things.

My favourite bbb moment in the gf didn’t involve any skill whatsoever. He got a free kick on the wing and dump kicked the ball to the forward pocket which then lead to Petracca's goal and the procession to follow. Anyway it is what it is with Brown he helped with winning the premiership and we will be forever grateful.

Anyway , he hasn't retired, and he could still turn it around, as far fetched as that may seem right now, perhaps more offseason surgery ahead.

Im more so getting pissed at Danster flip flopping to suit his polar opposite opinions within the space of two years than the club signing Brown.

My favourite bbb moment in the gf didn’t involve any skill whatsoever. He got a free kick on the wing and dump kicked the ball to the forward pocket which then lead to Petracca's goal and the procession to follow. Anyway it is what it is with Brown he helped with winning the premiership and we will be forever grateful.
my best memory was his first goal in the last quarter. We were up by 4 goals at that stage. Each goal was critical. He got a free kick/they paid the mark and he snapped truly.

My entire point was not caring about lengths of contracts is stupid. You absolutely should care. Its the type of stupidity that can stop you from signing a big name player from another club or be the difference between keeping someone you want to keep or having to let them walk. Being ~500k short while in a premiership window is a terrible way to go about things.
yeah, obviously it wasn't the plan for Ben brown to be this bad after such a short time but does that mean that you wished we didn't offer Brayshaw 6? And Petracca and Oliver?

yeah, obviously it wasn't the plan for Ben brown to be this bad after such a short time but does that mean that you wished we didn't offer Brayshaw 6? And Petracca and Oliver?

I think Brayshaw in particular is a fairly decent risk given his concussion history and the fact he's only really played at a level deserving a 6 year deal once in the past 4 years. I love the guy but the contract is still risky.

Trac and Oliver are completely different to Brown and Brayshaw. You understand this surely.

I think Brayshaw in particular is a fairly decent risk given his concussion history and the fact he's only really played at a level deserving a 6 year deal once in the past 4 years. I love the guy but the contract is still risky.

Trac and Oliver are completely different to Brown and Brayshaw. You understand this surely.
I understand your points but it seems like you're sitting on the fence with the Brayshaw deal. So you would've preferred him to go to say Essendon than give him 6 years?

I understand your points but it seems like you're sitting on the fence with the Brayshaw deal. So you would've preferred him to go to say Essendon than give him 6 years?

Im saying it wouldnt surprise me if it came back to bite us on the ass, I hope we've front loaded Gus' contract to protect ourselves somewhat against it. Did I want him to stay? Sure, but I would have preferred it over 4 years on a higher pay.

The Oliver and Trac ones are no regrets however.

Im saying it wouldnt surprise me if it came back to bite us on the ass, I hope we've front loaded Gus' contract to protect ourselves somewhat against it. Did I want him to stay? Sure, but I would have preferred it over 4 years on a higher pay.

The Oliver and Trac ones are no regrets however.
'it wouldn't surprise me if it came back to bite us' is completely sitting on the fence. It's not a question of preference, of course we'd want smaller deals at a lower price but if you're the list manager you have to make a decision, do you keep Brayshaw for 6 or lose him for 5. I'd keep him. If you wouldn't that's fine but at least say one way or another.

Ben Brown was offered 4 years. but unfortunately he has only produced for 1 season (really on 1 month) but at this stage he's only stalling JVR and frustrating fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'it wouldn't surprise me if it came back to bite us' is completely sitting on the fence. It's not a question of preference, of course we'd want smaller deals at a lower price but if you're the list manager you have to make a decision, do you keep Brayshaw for 6 or lose him for 5. I'd keep him. If you wouldn't that's fine but at least say one way or another.

Ben Brown was offered 4 years. but unfortunately he has only produced for 1 season (really on 1 month) but at this stage he's only stalling JVR and frustrating fans.

I told you what I would have wanted us to do, 4 years with Gus on higher pay annually than what hes getting on 6 years. The final two years worry me. Giving you the exact details of what I would have liked is the opposite of sitting on the fence.

Anyway im done.

It is what it is with Brown. Save yourself from reading the last 3 pages. Well said mrmonkey

If BBB retires it’ll be because his knee isn’t right. Pretty clear he’s moving badly. Ideally he does one more year, if fit. If not, thanks for the memories and we move on.

If BBB retires it’ll be because his knee isn’t right. Pretty clear he’s moving badly. Ideally he does one more year, if fit. If not, thanks for the memories and we move on.
Even if they weren’t so great?

Only free agent contracts stay in the cap.
Is this true? I’d have thought a player retiring is their call, so they are either breaking contract and giving up what is left on the contract. Or if the club forces the issue, there might be a settlement of sorts to part pay out the remainder of a contract. How does free agency come in to it.

Is this true? I’d have thought a player retiring is their call, so they are either breaking contract and giving up what is left on the contract. Or if the club forces the issue, there might be a settlement of sorts to part pay out the remainder of a contract. How does free agency come in to it.

If they retire it’s true, if they go to another club it depends what the deal is between the three parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back