Player Watch #50: Ben Brown

His contested marking was amazing during the backend of the season and thru finals, never saw these types of things at North. Was always the type to get it on the lead.

He looks like an unmade bed and is so unco with how he locks and extends him arms but I dont give a * how hes done it. Hes turned himself into exactly what we needed him to be as a deep forward, massive kudos to him.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
His contested marking was amazing during the backend of the season and thru finals, never saw these types of things at North. Was always the type to get it on the lead.

He looks like an unmade bed and is so unco with how he locks and extends him arms but I dont give a fu** how hes done it. Hes turned himself into exactly what we needed him to be as a deep forward, massive kudos to him.

Massive tick for the coaching and development staff. How tf they got a bloke who is nearly 30 and has always been considered one dimensional to change his game this much is crazy.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty nuts that he was a hit me on the lead forward who played for free kicks, and we've got him playing as a goal square forward who hits the ball at his highest point.

I def undervalued his accuracy, it's such an asset to have someone who you can back on kicking 3 goals if you get him 4 marks

His first shot was a bit of a nervous one but it's a grand final it happens. Hawkins missed a shot in the preliminary final where he kicked it on the full 99/100 in a normal game he kicks that. I digress yes his accuracy is a huge asset, I never felt so relaxed watching a player take his set shot since Brad Green. He also is surprisingly good and taking half chances, just missed that snap. 3.2 in a grand final is a great effort. I also love the way he works up the ground and contest, he drew a few free kicks not from staging but causing his opponents to panic.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
25 goals in 13 games, would be on track for 40-45 goals in a full season. Had a better finals series than Aaron Naughton with one less game, fantastic finish to the year.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
He reminds me of having pipe cleaner or paddlepop stick arms or daddy longs legs type arms.
And not having any meat in his sytem to cushion the forces on him. :D

He's one of those inflatable flailing things at car dealerships.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
*en love this bloke.

Big fruity God botherer Vegan who does it his own way.

Talked about how he needed to work on the mental side of his game when he got dropped mid year and got smashed in his first VFL game after being dropped.

Came back knowing he was ready to make an impact for the team and did so. Amazing end to the year, especially with Tmac struggling after that back injury.

His running power is so underrated and gives Fritsch so much space to work in.

Love me a big redemption story

I had a pre-existing bias towards him, as I ******* love that he's not a typical 'footy boy' - he would be one of the first people in the AFL I'd pick to have a beer (or almond and kale smoothie) with, because he just seems like a genuinely good human.

I'm stoked that he's vindicated himself on field too. You can tell that he doesn't quite fit the social mould of the team by looking at some of the celebrations, but he'll forever be the full-forward that helped lead the team to it's first flag in 57 years.

Good s**t, Benny.

Last edited:
His running power is so underrated and gives Fritsch so much space to work in.

Love me a big redemption story
There was a good behind the goal shot of Fritsch's first mark and goal in the last. BBB and Jacko work up then back and as they do Fritsch gets into the space they leave, Dogs defenders stuck in no-mans-land. Was beautiful to watch.

slackboy72

All Australian
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cast aside by the wooden spooners to premiership player is some kind of transformation in the space of twelve months. Played a great back end of the season, a real important cog
Used to hate him when he was at north as he would regularly tear us a new one.
So glad he's here.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
I made the comment somewhere, but I said that Fritsch would be the player that benefited most from the inclusion of Brown and 59 goals goes to show that was right.

Incredible when you think that the big fella kicked 25 himself in 13 games, also had his equal career best average for tackles, goes to show that he is working hard even though he isn't the quickest player!

So happy we chased him at the end of last year.

I made the comment somewhere, but I said that Fritsch would be the player that benefited most from the inclusion of Brown and 59 goals goes to show that was right.

Incredible when you think that the big fella kicked 25 himself in 13 games, also had his equal career best average for tackles, goes to show that he is working hard even though he isn't the quickest player!

So happy we chased him at the end of last year.
Was never a coincidence that he kicked 6 in Brown's first game.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
One of the loveliest blokes I've ever met as well. So happy for him.

Maybe looked a touch shaky early on, but once he got fit and found rhythm he was so important to our side. Allowed Fritta to get off the chain and TMac to just roam. His marking was outstanding and he was able to show his workrate by running up the ground most games providing a target to our backs and mids. Such a consistent player when going. 2-3 goals every game and he's always got that lead for our mids to use, which is incredibly handy when now they have learned to lower their eyes and hit a target. From cellar dwellar to premiership glory. I'm not sure there is a better story on our list. Let's hope he can stay fit for the next few years while our window is wide open...

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I actually reckon that even though he played his best footy roaming up for us, he played super deep in the finals and it gave space for Fritta to work Infront of

Back