Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

My opinion on BBB is simple. I love him. He is an excellent player. He is a marketing plus for our club. I don't want to trade him. I don't want him to leave. But there is a price where I would change my mind. Never say never. I hope he is re-signed soon and this is discussion is finished.

2.62 per game at docklands,, 1.81 per game all other venues.

Folks are overlooking how bizarre this season is in comparison to normality.

If all the other states were in lock down and games were only being played in Melbourne, then Ben's average would have him 4-5 goals in front of the Coleman Medal.

Folks are overlooking how bizarre this season is in comparison to normality.

If all the other states were in lock down and games were only being played in Melbourne, then Ben's average would have him 4-5 goals in front of the Coleman Medal.
I’m the same as you Tef, love the big guy. Hes been playing injured and having Larkey out for most of the season has allowed other sides to really hammer him in a 2v1 situation and hammer his confidence week in - week out.

I’m also in the do not trade camp, but.. if we’re going full rebuild and someone like Geelong are prepared to offer 11 & 33 so we have 4, 7, 11, 28 & 33 for Brady to work with (potentially Phillips/Thilthorpe/DGB) then I would be happy for the club to take a risk - something we’re not accustomed too...

I’m the same as you Tef, love the big guy.

It actually has little to do with my personal "feelings" on the matter mate, the fact is that when he plays in a position under certain conditions and with the right team balance, then he has consisitently been as devastating a forward as exists in the game.

The super-coach posse have the attention span of a tape worm. Just automatically ignore them.

It actually has little to do with my personal "feelings" on the matter mate, the fact is that when he plays in a position under certain conditions and with the right team balance, then he has consisitently been as devastating a forward as exists in the game.

The super-coach posse have the attention span of a tape worm. Just automatically ignore them.
Yeah I meant the ‘love’ in the way he plays kinda way.. a 6’6, pale white, vegan male doesn’t really do it for me in the other ‘love’ kinda way either 😂

My opinion on BBB is simple. I love him. He is an excellent player. He is a marketing plus for our club. I don't want to trade him. I don't want him to leave. But there is a price where I would change my mind. Never say never. I hope he is re-signed soon and this is discussion is finished.

same thoughts. Its all up to the club now, if they want him they will keep him if not they need to get the best deal possible and that has to include a first round pick otherwise it will be pointless to trade him.

I think the options are clear.
To keep Brown.
Option A) Bring in two classy/elite midfielders. Speed, ball use as their main weapons to give good ball delivery.

Option B) We be less s**t.

Or we let him go and try to develop forwards who can break packs, as thats the way our game plan looks over this current season.

I don't agree with you much but people need to stop wanting Ben to be Carey or Ablett senior. He has a specific set of strengths that, if played to, are devastatingly effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown might struggle a bit to carry an injury, and he lacks the bulk of Carey, Dunstall, Plugger and so on, so the tactic oppositions are using against him is to basically have an opponent crash or push into him (sometimes two) to take him out of the area he has the greatest advantage in, which is to reach above almost any pack and take a mark.

We don’t see interceptors going up in front as he easily outreaches them. We don’t often see players punching the ball away for the same reason. But we do see a clear tactic of him being pushed under the ball so he is basically taken out of the contest. He has allowed himself to be pushed over in the past and has been given frees, but was being called a flopper by a lot of commentators. If he keeps his feet he is usually pushed a metre or two forward of where he should be, and for that he’s being called a dud.

Yet we see some blokes cop a minor slap on the back of their hand down the other end and they get a free kick.

I can recall plenty of games where Carey would actually have some creep leap onto his back with arms and legs around him, and thankfully he had the strength to still hold his ground, take marks and even pass the ball. Neil Balm employed this tactic to take Carey out in a match against the s**t team he coached in 1998, and in a post match interview he had the gall to acknowledge a bit if luck when Carey “injured himself”.

Brown can’t take that punishment, but he should not have to. He is an established champion and I for one hope that he and North can get the deal done.

Brown might struggle a bit to carry an injury, and he lacks the bulk of Carey, Dunstall, Plugger and so on, so the tactic oppositions are using against him is to basically have an opponent crash or push into him (sometimes two) to take him out of the area he has the greatest advantage in, which is to reach above almost any pack and take a mark.

We don’t see interceptors going up in front as he easily outreaches them. We don’t often see players punching the ball away for the same reason. But we do see a clear tactic of him being pushed under the ball so he is basically taken out of the contest. He has allowed himself to be pushed over in the past and has been given frees, but was being called a flopper by a lot of commentators. If he keeps his feet he is usually pushed a metre or two forward of where he should be, and for that he’s being called a dud.

Yet we see some blokes cop a minor slap on the back of their hand down the other end and they get a free kick.

I can recall plenty of games where Carey would actually have some creep leap onto his back with arms and legs around him, and thankfully he had the strength to still hold his ground, take marks and even pass the ball. Neil Balm employed this tactic to take Carey out in a match against the sh*t team he coached in 1998, and in a post match interview he had the gall to acknowledge a bit if luck when Carey “injured himself”.

Brown can’t take that punishment, but he should not have to. He is an established champion and I for one hope that he and North can get the deal done.

The question is then, what do we do to rectify the situation? The opposition are going to keep employing the same tactics.

The question is then, what do we do to rectify the situation? The opposition are going to keep employing the same tactics.
I guess Scamper could employ the same tactic that Bevo, Clarko, The husband of Mrs Hardwick and a few others have done, and go public to implore the umps to give our bloke a few extra frees.

Maybe BBB could attack the vegan protein powder a bit harder, and spend some time in the Gym with Maj.

Possibly, the coaches could develop a set of counter measures, like playing Majak at FF (OK, they did try that for the cats). Apply a bit of enforcement to protect the space behind Brown? Maybe even pay out a bit on the blokes doing the pushing with a bit of physicality in return.

Or possibly stand a forward pocket in a position where a ball that goes over the back might be to our advantage for a “joe the goose”.

I don’t know enough about footy to truly answer your question, but those that are qualified should be able to work out a few strategies to try.

I just can’t see how somebody can say North could trade him for “overs” in the same sentence where they say he is basically done, yet not recognise that Brown is an established player with a unique capability, even if it is one that comes with a vulnerability.

I guess Scamper could employ the same tactic that Bevo, Clarko, The husband of Mrs Hardwick and a few others have done, and go public to implore the umps to give our bloke a few extra frees.

Maybe BBB could attack the vegan protein powder a bit harder, and spend some time in the Gym with Maj.

Possibly, the coaches could develop a set of counter measures, like playing Majak at FF (OK, they did try that for the cats). Apply a bit of enforcement to protect the space behind Brown? Maybe even pay out a bit on the blokes doing the pushing with a bit of physicality in return.

Or possibly stand a forward pocket in a position where a ball that goes over the back might be to our advantage for a “joe the goose”.

I don’t know enough about footy to truly answer your question, but those that are qualified should be able to work out a few strategies to try.

I just can’t see how somebody can say North could trade him for “overs” in the same sentence where they say he is basically done, yet not recognise that Brown is an established player with a unique capability, even if it is one that comes with a vulnerability.
Definitely some whinging to the umps would help.

But he's proven to be better when there are other targets. The 2 or 3 vs 1, the intercept floating in - that's pretty easy to do when there's only ever going to be one guy we're kicking it to. And when our ball movement is slow, it's even easier. They just fill our F50 with bodies and we're even more stuffed cos he can't lead properly and they can have four or five crowding him. Get a crumber like Mahony waiting at the bottom of the pack and we'd be vastly better off, too.

Get it in quick, have a few different targets and even if it's not BBB kicking them himself, we'll be much more effective.

I'm not completely against trading Brown, but personally I'd be keeping him unless a seriously good offer comes, which I don't think will come given the year he's had and injury concerns etc. His value has dropped and I look at GoDees trading out Hogan and its totally killed their structure.
Whilst we could get by with Larkey and Walker or Majak combo, that's really only a short term fix. It's also very rare you draft someone like the King brothers and more likely you draft Jack Watts or McCartin as a forward. I guess it also depends on if Brown signs a deal somewhere else.
Like others have said any many ways Brown and Ziebell are basically the known faces of the club so its a massive call.

I'd suggest a big part of the problem is not so much the quality of the inside 50's but the decision making / choices to go to BBB on so many occasions. The reality is that if there are 2 or 3 on 1 situations then the team is failing if they are kicking to him at all.

Definitely some whinging to the umps would help.

But he's proven to be better when there are other targets. The 2 or 3 vs 1, the intercept floating in - that's pretty easy to do when there's only ever going to be one guy we're kicking it to. And when our ball movement is slow, it's even easier. They just fill our F50 with bodies and we're even more stuffed cos he can't lead properly and they can have four or five crowding him. Get a crumber like Mahony waiting at the bottom of the pack and we'd be vastly better off, too.

Get it in quick, have a few different targets and even if it's not BBB kicking them himself, we'll be much more effective.
Went to the Gabba wednesday night with a Lions mate, in fact I think its the first non-Lions game he'd been to and i had a laugh at how frustrated he was by our ball movement......"no no, too slow,,,,,TOOO FFKKNNNNN SLOOOOOOOWWW" and he's a originally sydney and gets it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back