Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

And when Larkey does get dangerous and Brown regains some sorta form, we can all wonder why in the f*** Souva was kept out for so long when we were clearly screaming out for a second tall.

Dunno. Maybe he needed a good time in the Magoos to build his confidence after his first couple of games in the seniors.

Maybe Brad Scott is a soft coach.

Early last year this was the case but he has been horrible since about round 12 least year.

That’s why I asked when he turned vegan. I knew it was a long bow, but I was hoping that would coincide with his loss of form.

After a high cholesterol check I jokingly said to my doctor “you’re not going to tell me to go vegan are you??!” She laughed and said, (cant remember exactly word for word) ‘don’t let anyone trick you into thinking being vegan is healthy. It’s a lifestyle choice. Humans are omnivores and need a balanced diet.’

What I’m saying is, eat some ******* protein Ben. I’m talking eggs, salmon, Greek yogurt, tuna and some bloody beef.

Yes I know you can get protein from soybeans, Quinoa and other **** but it’s not exactly top shelf. It’s all about balance.

Actually, soy beans and quinoa are both "complete proteins", meaning they contain all 8 of the essential amino acids. So they're perfectly serviceable protein choices.

The problem I think is volume - you kinda have to consume a truckload of them every day (okay, well maybe not that much, but still...)

Beef 1 cup:

Protein - 36 gram
Calories - 338
Total fat - 20 grams
Saturated fat - 7 grams
Cholesterol - 110 grams

Quinoa 1 cup:

Protein - 8.1 grams
Calories - 222
Total Fat - 3.6 grams
Saturated fat - 0
Cholesterol - 0

And in this day and age there's a plethora of vegan protein powdered supplements out there, which usually offer about 30 grams of protein in one small scoop. So it's not like it's all that hard anymore to get a ton of complete protein as a vegan. I'd assume BBB, being the intelligent, conscientious sort that he is, would be all over it. And I for one would not want to see his usual 14 km's covered per game type athleticism bogged down by saturated beef fat and cholesterol. But I realise that's just the vegan in me talking, so feel free to have a go. I'm all good with other people's food preferences. But that being said, I think BBB is just fine with respect to his diet and health, coeliac disease aside. There's a plethora of other reasons that have been discussed already on here that are far more likely to be contributing to his form than veganism.

As an aside Val, and please don't take this as me being preachy in any way, or putting in my 2 cents where it's not asked for (and feel free to tell me if it's not wanted), but if you like avocados, try and eat as many as you can. They're full of the "good" mono-unsaturated fats which combat the bad (LDL) cholesterol. Other foods that do similar are raspberries, barley, lentils, edamame (the young, green version of soybeans), and nuts. Long-winded, I know, and sorry for all that - it's just I'm always a big fan of people being able to manage issues with diet instead of medication, if at all possible.

Okay, bring on ten more Nick Larkeys for our dear BBB. I'll raise a glass of kombucha to that. (Actually, no, I won't. I really hate that stuff.)

Actually, soy beans and quinoa are both "complete proteins", meaning they contain all 8 of the essential amino acids. So they're perfectly serviceable protein choices.

The problem I think is volume - you kinda have to consume a truckload of them every day (okay, well maybe not that much, but still...)

Beef 1 cup:

Protein - 36 gram
Calories - 338
Total fat - 20 grams
Saturated fat - 7 grams
Cholesterol - 110 grams

Quinoa 1 cup:

Protein - 8.1 grams
Calories - 222
Total Fat - 3.6 grams
Saturated fat - 0
Cholesterol - 0

And in this day and age there's a plethora of vegan protein powdered supplements out there, which usually offer about 30 grams of protein in one small scoop. So it's not like it's all that hard anymore to get a ton of complete protein as a vegan. I'd assume BBB, being the intelligent, conscientious sort that he is, would be all over it. And I for one would not want to see his usual 14 km's covered per game type athleticism bogged down by saturated beef fat and cholesterol. But I realise that's just the vegan in me talking, so feel free to have a go. I'm all good with other people's food preferences. But that being said, I think BBB is just fine with respect to his diet and health, coeliac disease aside. There's a plethora of other reasons that have been discussed already on here that are far more likely to be contributing to his form than veganism.

As an aside Val, and please don't take this as me being preachy in any way, or putting in my 2 cents where it's not asked for (and feel free to tell me if it's not wanted), but if you like avocados, try and eat as many as you can. They're full of the "good" mono-unsaturated fats which combat the bad (LDL) cholesterol. Other foods that do similar are raspberries, barley, lentils, edamame (the young, green version of soybeans), and nuts. Long-winded, I know, and sorry for all that - it's just I'm always a big fan of people being able to manage issues with diet instead of medication, if at all possible.

Okay, bring on ten more Nick Larkeys for our dear BBB. I'll raise a glass of kombucha to that. (Actually, no, I won't. I really hate that stuff.)

Cheers. I get that it can be balanced out. The point I’m trying to make is that’s it’s not the optimal diet for a footballer. I want our players to do everything legally possible to get the best out of themselves. dont think veganism is the way to go.

I know I’m coming across as a tosser on this but it’s just my opinion.

Beef 1 cup:

Protein - 36 gram
Calories - 338
Total fat - 20 grams
Saturated fat - 7 grams
Cholesterol - 110 grams

Quinoa 1 cup:

Protein - 8.1 grams
Calories - 222
Total Fat - 3.6 grams
Saturated fat - 0
Cholesterol - 0

Nutritional yeast is apparently chock full of protein.

Hate to criticise when we play so well, but is it possible for BB to keep his feet... ever?

All the opposition has to do is engage his body and he'll go to ground trying to mark it. Not saying for a free kick, he's just incapable of keeping his feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was rubbish after quarter time but I liked the set up with a bunch of medium types (Wood, Zurhaar, Thomas, Garner) around him and Larkey pushing high.

Still a mini bag.
If you were playing against him you would totally hold his arms and push him in the back, whatever it takes, because there’s a fair chance you won’t be penalised. Brown was good today, with his main game and with pressure.

Allegedly 12 months as a vegan... the campaigner needs to quit that and get some size back! No peter siddle only eat bananas s**t! BBB needs to *in eat and hit the gym!

The way he is being tossed around by kids is making sense! No offense to vegans however its the WRONG diet! He needs to be a well oiled athletic machine and his diet is an issue as a POWER forward

If you were playing against him you would totally hold his arms and push him in the back, whatever it takes, because there’s a fair chance you won’t be penalised. Brown was good today, with his main game and with pressure.

Yeah I'm probably being a tad harsh. Just thought he spent too much of the second half on the deck.

Needs to stop trying to mark when he is too late to the contest, snd sit off the back more. He constantly takes himself out of the play when he isn't at the drop and we have others contesting.

Cheers. I get that it can be balanced out. The point I’m trying to make is that’s it’s not the optimal diet for a footballer. I want our players to do everything legally possible to get the best out of themselves. dont think veganism is the way to go.

I know I’m coming across as a tosser on this but it’s just my opinion.

Nah Val, no worries, you're one of the good eggs on here. I get what you're trying to say. And because we haven't figured out how to go to the BBB meat eating parallel universe, we may never have an answer. But let us know if you ever do find out the timeline on when he went vegan. I'd be curious to know.

Don’t underestimate what having Larkey out there does for the forward line.

I loved how well Larkey contested today. Might not have took a heap of marks, but can’t recall him getting beaten in a one on one very often.
I also like the way Larkey contests and holds he's feet in the contest, allows us to play Benny deep.

He's kicked more goals and taken better marks, but his first half today was the most complete football he has played.

I agree. He led us to victory in the first half. Well lots of players stood up today. Hope they keep it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back