Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Well our full time recruiters think differently and I think they've got a better handle on potential talent than you.

Welcome BB, the comparisons with Cory Mc are well founded.

The recruiters think he'll play ahead of Tarrant?

Whatever is thought of his football ability, we have at least got a quality person who will work his arse off for the next however many years.

**** me that's terrible rationale.

Yep, I don't care what anyone says, you don't recruit VFL forwards to cover for AFL ruckman.

I think the reactions of our supporters say alot, if Carlton, St Kilda or the Dogs got him at the same pick, they would probably be over the moon.

It's nothing against Brown, he's a decent enough prospect with alot to work with in a fulltime AFL environment.

I think most though, like me, thought it was a good opportunity to balance the list at that pick with a defender or small, with the amount of smalls off the board, and plenty of tall defenders still out there......

You never know though, we will probably get our man at #9 in the rookie.

Can play forward and is very agile for his size. Dominated a game in the wet in Perth earlier in the year, and when I mean wet it was pissing down all night.

I remember watching that game thinking he was a lock to get drafted this year. Very happy that we were the ones to do it. :thumbsu:

With all due respect to fizzydrinker I heard the interview and don't recall Bryce saying that at all. Unless there was more than one interview?

i4A4udC.jpg

What a terrible pickup. Why would you waste a 3rd rounder on a speculative ruckman? Last time we did that we picked a bloke who only has 2 AA nominations and a 2nd place in the Syd Barker to his name.

Worth it for the new avatar alone :)

I think many here are rating Ben on our perceived list needs not his actual ability.

Like it or not with capped interchanges coming in forward/ruck players are going to be in high demand.

I do think Ben did enough this year to earn a spot on the list, do like him more as a forward than a ruck, as well as showing he is determined to do what it takes by making the move to melbourne to increase his chances of making it to the AFL.

At pick 47 although not what many expected its a pretty solid pick and another player ready to play against men not little boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I'm with LTK and scoob here and mentioned previously that he would be drafted.

Hope he kills it and if you happen to be reading this Browny, log off and never read this site again.:thumbsu:

Worth it for the new avatar alone :)

I think many here are rating Ben on our perceived list needs not his actual ability.

Like it or not with capped interchanges coming in forward/ruck players are going to be in high demand.

I do think Ben did enough this year to earn a spot on the list, do like him more as a forward than a ruck, as well as showing he is determined to do what it takes by making the move to melbourne to increase his chances of making it to the AFL.

At pick 47 although not what many expected its a pretty solid pick and another player ready to play against men not little boys.

This could be a good point.

What a great pick up. Uncle Leighroy Brown will be proud. At least we now have a replacement for Magic Mabon. Tazza to go to the backline and one of Daw or Brown Dog to play second ruck forward beckons if a current key defender goes down. :stern look

I remember watching that game thinking he was a lock to get drafted this year. Very happy that we were the ones to do it. :thumbsu:

Same here and same here. It was obvious he'd auditioned as well as he possibly could in such trying conditions on the national stage, and what he showed was "I'll be worth picking up AFL clubs!"

I just thought some other club would be lucky to snare him before us.

Welcome aboard "Bobby" Brown. :thumbsu:

this choice suprised me.

not because I know minimal information about the kid but the fact that he is a ruck man...

Planning further ahead...?

As Bryce said, "The Paper Bag will be a handy back-up for Daniel Currie in case heaven-forbid, Currie was struck down with injury."
Hopefully with one of our remaining rookie picks, we can find a back-up for Brown.

Been impressed with his work at werribee this year. Plucks them when he has no right to.

I've always felt it can be really hard to judge KPFs (and outside mids) on VFL form, based on delivery and the 'look at me' nature of some players trying to put their name forward. You can get to the right places all day and have no one looking for you...

If he never plays a game, or if he forces another out, KPF/Rucks have some good trade value, so no arguments at being a nursery if we can make that work in our favour - taking a broader view.

Same here and same here. It was obvious he'd auditioned as well as he possibly could in such trying conditions on the national stage, and what he showed was "I'll be worth picking up AFL clubs!"

I just thought some other club would be lucky to snare him before us.

Welcome aboard "Bobby" Brown. :thumbsu:
Yep, welcome to our New Edition, "Bobby Brown".

I think most though, like me, thought it was a good opportunity to balance the list at that pick with a defender or small, with the amount of smalls off the board, and plenty of tall defenders still out there......

That may have been the case, but if the club felt they were no good then why waste a pick on them just to "balance the list"? They picked Brown because he must have been best available at 47 and have had all year to assess that (and in my opinion we have enough smalls anyway.)

Yep, agree. He played very well locally in a reasonable league (against men, not kids like plenty of others) and has done it all himself to get to Werribee and give himself every opportunity.

Wrapped for him, reckon we made a great decision :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back