Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Browns problem is he did his best work in the first half of the year.

To be AA, you have to do that in he second half of the year.

The same thing happened to LT in the year he kicked 50 goals.

I think that had more to do with LT's well established credentials as evil incarnate within the AFL community.

I said it the other day no North player will make AA .. the concept of ****ed anyway ..

I must say I was surprised to see this stat at first glance. Didn’t feel he has had quite as many 4+ goal games.

On that evidence he could well warrant an AA spot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He had quite a few "quiet" 4 goal games this year. Think he deserves AA, would have also been very worthy of the Coleman, hopefully next year!

Brown's been playing injured? No way.

Yeah, shock horror. Trying to contest for marks while doing your best impression of a Hills Hoist, replete with two to three opponents hanging off you, will do that to a man.

4 goals is a bit of an arbitrary measure to suit us though. Shift the assessment up or down a goal and he might not come out top.

Its not arbitrary. It means an average of 1 goal a quarter.

I think only the top nine of the highest ever goals per game averages are over 4 goals a game. 10 is Doug Wade with 3.96 goals/game. So less than 10 players have averaged a goal a quarter or more for their entire career in the history of vfl/afl footy.

I always think of four goals as a good haul. I always have, I guess its probably because its a four quarter game. 5 is better obviously, but if four of your forwards average a goal a quarter that's 100 points (well 96) straight away.

If a player kicks 5 goals they are averaging more than one goal a quarter. Which is a "great game" when you are talking about it with your mates and always has been.

However I've never thought of 3 goals from a key forward as a good return. Possibly an average one but not a good one and remember thinking before last year that he'd only kicked 4 goals 4 times - he needed to make that regular and kick 5 or more a few times to be great - and wondering if he was capable of it without Dish and with W8 probably out injured. No one ever wonders that any more.

When you look thru his seasons and at the goals per game on that stat site the 3 goal hauls stand out as his better performances until last year. Last year was also when he went from being one of the key forwards in the league to being one of the best key forwards in the league. He had more 4+ goal performances last year than the entire 2 and a half seasons of his career previously. Just to look at the numbers in the goals column - its the point where it stands out that he's started playing really well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far today i have seen that Browny, Jack, and Dumont, are all going in for surgery, probably be more to follow. Undeniable proof that we play injured players, which is a personal bugbear of mine.

Dumont looked pretty good at the end of the year, didn't he? Just because they're having surgery doesn't mean were carelessly playing injured players to their detriment. Brown with a sore hip is better than Larkey or Durdin at 100% playing instead.

Brown's been playing injured? No way.

Could hardly move for weeks and Tarrant was also cooked. Just shake me head and this was the reason for a heated chat late last week. Both guys needed a spell while McKay is racking up decent numbers at VFL level and nary a thought given to resting someone who couldn't move off the line.

BS just frustrates the * out of me!!

Could hardly move for weeks and Tarrant was also cooked. Just shake me head and this was the reason for a heated chat late last week. Both guys needed a spell while McKay is racking up decent numbers at VFL level and nary a thought given to resting someone who couldn't move off the line.

BS just frustrates the **** out of me!!

Mate, as you know from reading this forum, a lot of us felt the same. It defies logic to keep picking injured players.

It's always good to get confirmation of these things, but the only way you couldn't conclude Tas was injured is if you didn't watch him play.

A big reason for the second half season drop offs imo.

Both Taz and Thommo could of been rested for game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

For Brown to move forward in 2019 he needs to get some real C:nt in him the Team game style to change hopefully with maybe a Gaff and Polak to help him not coming up to half back to get a kick and other forwards to pick up their man not having 3 on 1 situations that was happening week in and out.

Plus to kick another 20 to 30 goals as I have no faith in Wood as he goes missing Garner I got doubts he will play at all.
Maybe Higgins Zieball can turn it on with 50 to 60 goals between them and hopefully Goldstein chipping in for 20+ goals as resting ruckman in new style set up

So far today i have seen that Browny, Jack, and Dumont, are all going in for surgery, probably be more to follow. Undeniable proof that we play injured players, which is a personal bugbear of mine.

Didn't Dumont injure himself late in our last game of the season?

It’s crazy. If Scott didn’t rest crook players this year, the year that was a supposed development year, he’ll never rest injured players. I couldn’t believe my ears when I heard him say they didn’t think Tarrant was “going to be able to get himself up to play but to his credit he did”. FFS take the choice off him and make him sit out. Frustrating as hell.

What was wrong with Taz? He didn't look "right" for a fair part of the year.

Any ideas of the plans for BBM revealed in your heated chats? Or will I be firing up the sat nav again in 2019?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What was wrong with Taz? He didn't look "right" for a fair part of the year.

Any ideas of the plans for BBM revealed in your heated chats? Or will I be firing up the sat nav again in 2019?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Looked like he had hip/leg issues as he wasnt impacting as many contests as he usually does imo.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back