Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

He's preaching gender equality and good on him. It's not like he's supporting Trump. No issue with what Browny is doing what so ever.
Hey even if he was asked to speak at a Trump event or whatever its his choice. Absolutely none of this affects his game.

Arguing that the guy who stays back practising set shots on goal after training (and against the will of the sports science gurus because Brad values work ethic, which is not mutually exclusive to owning a home), is using too much of his free time to promote the club and influence society in what he sees as a positive way is such a silly slant I'm suprised it was even a talking point here.

You don't need to have a media release to do a good deed, and that's what he should start doing if he's absolutely dedicated to a cause. Go work in a shelter, don't tell anyone, and don't wear your footy jumper when you're doing it. True charity is done in silence, otherwise it just amounts to virtue signalling.

It's not that I disagree with what Ben's stating, I mean, it's common ******* sense, not any great statement of enlightenment. It's just that I am sick of the club being utilised for these purposes.

And I don't see any mention of this event in club media besides a retweet from nmfc of a post by the event coordinators linking the speech on their website.

One of the more bizarre couple of pages I have read on bigfooty.

Ha. Right there with you.

I'm still confused as to whether he's using the club, or the club's using him.

(For the record, I'm going to go with neither.)

We've now also had posters inexplicably casting doubt on his commitment to this cause, and even blindly speculating on the extent of his charity work. Bizarre doesn't even begin to cover it. Stuff Happy Days, this thread has jumped the shark so many times now a Seaworld reference would be more apt.

Hey even if he was asked to speak at a Trump event or whatever its his choice.

Yep, spot on. His (or any other player's) choice.

A speaking engagement in his own time. He's not representing the club in any official capacity. It has no effect on his ability to do his main gig (and as you pointed out, no-one can question the bloke's commitment to his footy craft), and he's not partaking in an activity that will likely see him injured. Again, I'm genuinely scratching my head here as to why this would cause someone any angst.

His career took another jump this year to finish a close second in the Coleman, he and his wife are expecting their first baby, he is on top of the world, and this is the kind of thing they choose to spend their own time doing. Like they attend women's footy in their own time. A long way from the usual footballer priorities but he in sincere and energetic in his beliefs. I happen to share some of their interests and concerns, but whether I do or not, as long as Ben puts in the way he has so far when he is on NMFC's dime, he can keep right on with the things that make him happy and fulfilled.

Also good luck to him with recovery from surgery, hope he gets a good injury-free run next season.

I'm with Snake, kick Brown off our list! Hrovat and Turner can share the load up forward.

giphy.gif

Are we doing that thing again where, because we haven't won a flag in 20 years, the club shouldn't allow itself or its players to be socially responsible?

ffs. Between this and the gender equality thread, learning a lot about some people and their archaic values.

Are we doing that thing again where, because we haven't won a flag in 20 years, the club shouldn't allow itself or its players to be socially responsible?

ffs. Between this and the gender equality thread, learning a lot about some people and their archaic values.
Im trying to turn it into a game, see how many current threads hit the low point, think we're at like 3 or 4 now?

Not really a "fun" game.

I can’t see any issue with our players commenting on; or being positively associated with:

- anti-gambling (no revenue from pokies)
- equality
- domestic violence
- multiculturalism (huddle)

Im trying to turn it into a game, see how many current threads hit the low point, think we're at like 3 or 4 now?

Not really a "fun" game.

Ha. Given the obvious need for it, I for one am shocked that there's no 'Vast Left Wing Conspiracy' thread tag available on the North board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for players doing it if it sets a good example for others. If Ben 10 wants to go pick up some rubbish on the highway by all means. They are leaders and kids look up to them. The gender thing is something different. I'm rather cynical in that it'll be spun to equality of outcome not equality of opportunity which sends the wrong message. We all want equality but hasn't North already set the "we want 50% M/F ratio at North by 2019" or something like that? I just hope he's smart enough to give his own opinion, and I hope it's the right opinion. I'd prefer not to see North players become talking heads for others.

Hopefully the boys can get down at local animal shelter and spread some love there (Jack should as he nearly lost his pup!). Set a good example to kids and tell them to adopt a pet instead of playing fortnite and becoming obese with zero social skills.

And in your mind, these things are separate from one another?
Not darko but maybe the distinction is, one is quite literally a politician and the other is a concept that is politicised but not inherently political? Just guessing though.

He's a ripping guy, lovely bloke to deal with. But he and his wife do appear to view the club as something of an ideological plaything. Fortunately for them they're dealing with plenty of like-minded folk.

Not sure how far this would fly in a cutthroat clinical environment like Hawthorn.

That is ******* bullshit!

Wow. I’ve come to this late in more ways than one and it’s got me confused.

Who’s done something wrong? Who am I meant to be ranting against? Ben, his wife, his unborn child, the club, our sponsors, Canadians or Trump?

* it...Sack Scotts.

Hopefully the boys can get down at local animal shelter and spread some love there (Jack should as he nearly lost his pup!). Set a good example to kids and tell them to adopt a pet instead of playing fortnite and becoming obese with zero social skills.

It wasn't just on-field that Waitey blitzed.

Jarrad-Waite-Edgars-Mission.jpg

280616_WaiteLarge1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back