Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree he has been struggling for quite a while. Rarely seems to win a contest these days, while early last year he was dominating everyone and nobody could get near him in a marking contest. I still have faith in him, he has shown how good he is. Still usually bobs up with a couple of goals even in his quiet games so not a complete disaster.

Guys, this is a very controversial question to ask, but is it possible that even with the rough circumstances that Brown has and continues to face, that he might be a tad bit overrated. Now don't get me wrong, I love watching Browny when he's firing, but I just get this feeling after watching him in the back half of last year and in the JLT and Round 1 this year, that he rely's a little too heavily on umpiring and doesn't exactly have too many strings to his bow. I am prepared to accept criticism for this post, but I doubt I am the only one who who feels even slightly this way about Brown. Perhaps it is just the structure of the team and his recovery from surgery that has limited his abilities, but I just get the feeling that he can only be so good.

No he’s probably underrated considering he’s been stiff not to get All Australian the last 2 years. As for the frees, if he was awarded all the frees he deserves he’d kick 100. The defenders seem to have the green light to shepherd him out of a contest, Chop his arms or even hold him because they only pay about 2-3 a game but it happens at every marking contest. If they paid it every time they’d stop doing it and he’d take a lot more marks because none of them can stop him when he has a free run and jump at it, he’s too big. The only way they can stop him is to illegally impede.

What’s he kicked in the last 2 years over 120 goals? I’m guessing that’s at the top of the lot

No he’s probably underrated considering he’s been stiff not to get All Australian the last 2 years. As for the frees, if he was awarded all the frees he deserves he’d kick 100. The defenders seem to have the green light to shepherd him out of a contest, Chop his arms or even hold him because they only pay about 2-3 a game but it happens at every marking contest. If they paid it every time they’d stop doing it and he’d take a lot more marks because none of them can stop him when he has a free run and jump at it, he’s too big. The only way they can stop him is to illegally impede.

What’s he kicked in the last 2 years over 120 goals? I’m guessing that’s at the top of the lot
Fair enough, just trying to provoke analysis and discussion.

Fair enough, just trying to provoke analysis and discussion.

I don’t think he’s playing for frees. I think he would much rather a free run at the ball without someone holding onto him. they seem to pay them to midfielders whenever it happens, why not forwards?

What shits me is they will give the free when it’s on centre wing, be lucky to get one per game inside 30 meters, even though they do it every time he doesn’t get separation on the lead.

I don’t think he’s playing for frees. I think he would much rather a free run at the ball without someone holding onto him. they seem to pay them to midfielders whenever it happens, why not forwards?

What shits me is they will give the free when it’s on centre wing, be lucky to get one per game inside 30 meters, even though they do it every time he doesn’t get separation on the lead.
My issue is that they give him the soft free and miss the real obvious ones that happen throughout the whole game.

Is anyone able to please post the Mark Robinson article form today’s Herald.
Didn’t get a chance to read it at the cafe as I only had time to see the little Clark piece on Scotty.

Is anyone able to please post the Mark Robinson article form today’s Herald.
Didn’t get a chance to read it at the cafe as I only had time to see the little Clark piece on Scotty.

I haven’t read it but a mate rang me to tell me Robbo thinks we’re too Brown centric. Apparently he gets the ball kicked to him more then any other forward in the comp.

Robbo: With no Jarrad Waite, North has become predictable targeting key man Ben Brown
MARK ROBINSON, CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER, Herald Sun
March 25, 2019 8:54pm
Subscriber only
It was joked on the weekend that North Melbourne should contact Jarrad Waite and ask him to get himself fit for the mid-season draft.

What’s not a joke is that the Kangaroos desperately need someone to play alongside Ben Brown.

It was Brown or bust in the forward 50m against Fremantle on Sunday and the Kangaroos were busted right open.

FREE AGENTS: EVERY PLAYER WHO COULD MOVE

THE TACKLE: KANGAS ‘DESPERATELY DISAPPOINTING’

Ben Brown clearly missed retired key forward Jarrad Waite on the weekend. Picture: Colleen Petch
Clearly, the efforts of the forward group were affected by the team’s inability to move the ball from defence and the inability to be competitive in the midfield.

Coach Brad Scott said issues were widespread.

“Skill errors come from three or four factors … technical error, which is obvious; a decision-making error, which is obvious; and then there’s dysfunctional patterns forward of the ball to give the ball-carrier options,’’ he said.

SC-Mazda_Register-650x90 (1).png

“The fourth (one) is opposition pressure. I think we had pretty good examples of all four of those.’’

In what was a horrible opening game for the Kangaroos, they had 47 inside-50s to Fremantle’s 68, the second most recorded by the Dockers under Ross Lyon.

And when the Kangaroos got the ball inside their 50, the potency was minimal. Brown was the target 16 times, the most of any key forward in Round 1. The next in line was Jack Ziebell, who was the target eight times.

Brown was well-held by a dominant Dockers defence. Picture: AAP
Because Brown was curtailed by Joel Hamling mainly and Alex Pearce, and Ziebell didn’t have an impact, the Kangaroos failed miserably in the forward half.

The question of who can help Brown is difficult because key backmen such as Scott Thompson, Majak Daw and Sam Durdin are out.

Daw could be an option if his body recovers.

The other major concern for Scott, which was obvious against the Dockers, and has been obvious for several seasons, is the potency of the midfield and small forwards. The spotlight is on Mason Wood yet again.

He had eight disposals, one score involvement and 29 SuperCoach points on Sunday. He didn’t lay a tackle.

Effectively he is North’s third tall and has been touted as an improver for several years. Scott can either back him or dump this week, and you suspect he will give him another chance, but the first 10 games this season are critical for Wood.

Brown looks seriously underdone however I think that it is a trend continuing on from late last year. He always ran quite far under the ball, as such it doesn't take much nudge him out of the contest. Our forward line doesn't seem to work together with leading patterns. I think all his shots on the weekend were from free kicks and he seems to be playing for them rather than just trying to win the ball on it's merits. Brown and Larkey need to work on together for the rest of the year and work on some chemistry. Wood will be seriously lucky if he retains his spot.

I'm just checking... we're all pretending we don't remember that he was actually playing injured for the last half of 2018? That we all knew he was sent out each week to occupy a key defender or two?
That's fair enough but why does the rest of the team continually kick it to him, if he is injured he should lead the two or three blokes on him out of the way and create space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect once Thompson is back then we'll see McKay taking the Maj role as a second ruckman. Against Freo it was basically pick Campbell or give Brown short bursts in there though, especially once EVW went off.
True though it's doubtful Campbell was ever getting selected so Brown must've always been the backup option.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're both saying, but "pick Campbell" was never an option as Campbell was suspended for round 1.

It's relevant to this week's selection conundrum, though.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're both saying, but "pick Campbell" was never an option as Campbell was suspended for round 1.

It's relevant to this week's selection conundrum, though.

Yeh I meant hypothetically even if he was available for selection that he wouldn't have been.

Robbo: With no Jarrad Waite, North has become predictable targeting key man Ben Brown
MARK ROBINSON, CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER, Herald Sun
March 25, 2019 8:54pm
Subscriber only
It was joked on the weekend that North Melbourne should contact Jarrad Waite and ask him to get himself fit for the mid-season draft.

What’s not a joke is that the Kangaroos desperately need someone to play alongside Ben Brown.

It was Brown or bust in the forward 50m against Fremantle on Sunday and the Kangaroos were busted right open.

FREE AGENTS: EVERY PLAYER WHO COULD MOVE

THE TACKLE: KANGAS ‘DESPERATELY DISAPPOINTING’

Ben Brown clearly missed retired key forward Jarrad Waite on the weekend. Picture: Colleen Petch
Clearly, the efforts of the forward group were affected by the team’s inability to move the ball from defence and the inability to be competitive in the midfield.

Coach Brad Scott said issues were widespread.

“Skill errors come from three or four factors … technical error, which is obvious; a decision-making error, which is obvious; and then there’s dysfunctional patterns forward of the ball to give the ball-carrier options,’’ he said.

SC-Mazda_Register-650x90 (1).png

“The fourth (one) is opposition pressure. I think we had pretty good examples of all four of those.’’

In what was a horrible opening game for the Kangaroos, they had 47 inside-50s to Fremantle’s 68, the second most recorded by the Dockers under Ross Lyon.

And when the Kangaroos got the ball inside their 50, the potency was minimal. Brown was the target 16 times, the most of any key forward in Round 1. The next in line was Jack Ziebell, who was the target eight times.

Brown was well-held by a dominant Dockers defence. Picture: AAP
Because Brown was curtailed by Joel Hamling mainly and Alex Pearce, and Ziebell didn’t have an impact, the Kangaroos failed miserably in the forward half.

The question of who can help Brown is difficult because key backmen such as Scott Thompson, Majak Daw and Sam Durdin are out.

Daw could be an option if his body recovers.

The other major concern for Scott, which was obvious against the Dockers, and has been obvious for several seasons, is the potency of the midfield and small forwards. The spotlight is on Mason Wood yet again.

He had eight disposals, one score involvement and 29 SuperCoach points on Sunday. He didn’t lay a tackle.

Effectively he is North’s third tall and has been touted as an improver for several years. Scott can either back him or dump this week, and you suspect he will give him another chance, but the first 10 games this season are critical for Wood.

There's no problem going to Ben a significant amount of times, the problem is with the way we go about doing it.

The delivery and decision making was an issue, however even one out, or when it's kicked to his advantage I still don't have confidence in him taking the mark at the moment. He just needs a breakout game, clunk a contested mark or two.

As much as we miss Waite I'm hard pressed to attribute the complete non performance of our midfield on Sunday and deplorable delivery off half back to his absence. It is clearly a complete breakdown of system - either internally, being picked apart by Fremantle or both. Jarrad Waite would not have been remotely close to the difference even structure wise.

He dived and it was embarrassing. Not the first time he has flopped. I know he gets a stiff run with the umpires most the time so he obviously thinks he needs to exacerbate the holds and shoves so they will notice but I reckon it's a bad look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back