Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic. Another calf. Might be time to stop this silly wood at half back experiment and get him training with the forwards again.

Yeah, nah.

We have Ziebell, Garner, Thomas, Hosie all capable of that role.

If Brown has indeed injured his calf, this puts Comben right in the Rnd 1 conversation.

He’ll certainly be partnering Larkey in the pre-season games.

Or Campbell.

I doubt it, considering he’s also not been playing any of the practice matches.

Larkey, Brown and Comben have been the key forwards in everything I’ve seen.

Xerri has played as a pure ruck.

Comben is raw from a physical sense, but his preseason form warrants it more than even the likes of Xerri, Garner etc if we are looking at different setups.

Ziebell is underdone. Hosie hasn’t played a game.

None average as many goals a game as wood. Plus wood isn’t a defender.

Wood has been sent back for precisely the reason the club think Hosie is a much better forward.

I’d be cooling my jets there. Wasn’t good enough to get a game in the dead rubbers at the end of last year.

He was also good enough to kick more top tier state league goals than anyone else in the country last year.

I really don’t know how you can argue Hosie vs Wood at the moment, when the club is so clearly in on Hosie at the moment to the point they are shifting Mason to the other end of the ground in a position he’s never played before.

That’s how much Shaw rates him as a forward after getting a good look at him, tbh, I don’t blame him.

He was also good enough to kick more top tier state league goals than anyone else in the country last year.

I really don’t know how you can argue Hosie vs Wood at the moment, when the club is so clearly in on Hosie at the moment to the point they are shifting Mason to the other end of the ground in a position he’s never played before.

That’s how much Shaw rates him as a forward after getting a good look at him, tbh, I don’t blame him.

I have nothing against hosie. And I have no confidence in Mason long term. But he’s an experienced forward that kicked 4 goals against the premiers last year and if Brown is in any doubt for round 1, I’d want mason playing forward in the afl rather than playing as a defender in the vfl.

I doubt it, considering he’s also not been playing any of the practice matches.

Larkey, Brown and Comben have been the key forwards in everything I’ve seen.

Xerri has played as a pure ruck.

Comben is raw from a physical sense, but his preseason form warrants it more than even the likes of Xerri, Garner etc if we are looking at different setups.

Now that Walker can hold up a key back position with Taz, Maj could be a marking option with Larkey.

Not advocating that as Maj is underdone and been doing well down back.

However, he could be considered if Xerri, Comben and Campbell weren’t considered sufficient cover for Brown... Who hopefully gets up in the next 5 weeks or so til round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

argh, no, we've been down that road, picking Campbell as a marking forward over Larkey after the first couple of games last year

Tom is ruck cover, not a key forward

100% this
Saw him last year against Hawthorn at the G, he was clueless and putrid as a forward
Ruck back up only thanks

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bloody devastating as he is irreplaceable but you can’t avoid these things

Fingers crossed it’s nothing serious but * me he still hasnt had a injury free preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back