Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I have little time for his social views, but all that bullshit aside, this man has character.

He's staunch in the old school way. He stands by those who stand by him. You don't see this much any more.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And personally I would have gone for HMAS Pinafore Sideshow Bob
a41b0271c277f189355f19d4ce78a6ee.jpg

"Dodoro ranked full-forward Ben Brown in the top 25 and it is believed Essendon was the only club that had Marcus Bontempelli, and not Tom Boyd or Josh Kelly, at No.1."

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
His physicality in 1v1 contests has diminished noticeably.

Falls down like he’s been shot far too easily.

Could have really had us up and about had he nailed that banana (which is really not that difficult from that close) but not to be.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reckon the 3 goals flattered him a bit today. Flopped everywhere and didn’t look likely at all. Unpopular opinion but I’m not a fan of the way he plays at all. Great bloke but too one dimensional
These are old lessons, he needs another key forward to play to his strengths. And Mason Wood gets blanketed playing that position.
it’s ground hog day.

Reckon the 3 goals flattered him a bit today. Flopped everywhere and didn’t look likely at all. Unpopular opinion but I’m not a fan of the way he plays at all. Great bloke but too one dimensional

We have to produce a viable alternative otherwise it is what it is.

I think we should only go to him when he is on the lead and we can stick it out on front of him, the way we bomb it to him all the time not only makes it predictable but allows the opposition to congest his space, he has to take on too many opposition players. We need to have other viable forward options and a midfield that runs and carries, breaks open the game and can hit whichever forward is in the best position.

You can't blame Brown just because a big chunk of our side is one-dimensional. Longmire was a good one-dimensional forward in the 90s, we just had a lot of other viable options as well and a midfield that didn't hack the ball as much as our current midfield.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
These are old lessons, he needs another key forward to play to his strengths. And Mason Wood gets blanketed playing that position.
it’s ground hog day.

That's why Nick Larkey's absence is felt.

Zurhaar plays a decent second man, but he's better when he's the third and can play small and work up the ground.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a (very good) lead and mark forward but that is it - has developed no upper body strength from when he was getting rag dolled by Grundy from the Swans years ago and now comfortably gets pushed out by the likes of Rampe.

His Goal kicking was reliable a few years back also but that has regressed as well.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is a (very good) lead and mark forward but that is it - has developed no upper body strength from when he was getting rag dolled by Grundy from the Swans years ago and now comfortably gets pushed out by the likes of Rampe.

His Goal kicking was reliable a few years back also but that has regressed as well.
If Brown had the Anger,Mongrel and Toughness of Glenn Archer put into him he would be 75 to 85+ goal kicking forward.
But we have a Dotting Dad Fun Loving Nice Guy Vegan and until someone at the club with stroke pulls him aside and puts some toughness in him this is what we got.

Unlike ruckmen who are are allowed to contest the footy unimpeded, I wonder if the shortened quarters are having an impact on Browns ability to work over his opponent.
Just not getting any separation at all.

Back