Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

He more than most key forwards needs a viable 2nd key tall - Zurhaar and Ziebell are too small, Wood is a flanker at best, and the others aren't ready. When is Larkey back?

Not concerned. He isn't Carey and won't be but if we put him up for trade we'd get 17 enquiries.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He more than most key forwards needs a viable 2nd key tall - Zurhaar and Ziebell are too small, Wood is a flanker at best, and the others aren't ready. When is Larkey back?

Not concerned. He isn't Carey and won't be but if we put him up for trade we'd get 17 enquiries.

And our hands would be bitten clean off.

He more than most key forwards needs a viable 2nd key tall - Zurhaar and Ziebell are too small, Wood is a flanker at best, and the others aren't ready.
We don't know until we give them a run. Xerri at least deserves a crack.
When is Larkey back?
Not for weeks. We can't afford to wait till then or pin our seasons hopes on him. We need to move forward with other options.

Brown has got one of the strangest centres of gravity I've seen (or perceived) in a player.

He's reasonably broadly built and 200cm but is outmuscled so easily. Not saying he should be standing his ground like Wayne Carey but man, most 185cm defenders can knock him over on their day.

Still a gun and key member of the club (not just team) but feels like we don't fully tap his potential output and that's allowing for his recent yearly goal tallies. Seemed to get into nowhere land a bit vs Cola.

Something that I’ve noticed this year is that he isn’t getting around the ground as much. He was the number one forward in metres gained last year and tired out his opponents

Now he is barely getting 100 metres a game. Maybe a direction from the coach to stay put a bit more?

Something that I’ve noticed this year is that he isn’t getting around the ground as much. He was the number one forward in metres gained last year and tired out his opponents

Now he is barely getting 100 metres a game. Maybe a direction from the coach to stay put a bit more?
He's down 3 touches and 70 meters gained a game on last year and Cameron from GWS gained on average 80 meters a game more than Brown last year. Do you mean km's covered?

Games are significantly shorter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the second tall a couple of years ago before Larkey came on to the scene?

Brown has got one of the strangest centres of gravity I've seen (or perceived) in a player.

He's reasonably broadly built and 200cm but is outmuscled so easily. Not saying he should be standing his ground like Wayne Carey but man, most 185cm defenders can knock him over on their day.

Still a gun and key member of the club (not just team) but feels like we don't fully tap his potential output and that's allowing for his recent yearly goal tallies. Seemed to get into nowhere land a bit vs Cola.

Again, you are seeing him as a stand his ground power forward. Brown is a running forward who needs to be on the leading and leap at it.

As others have mentioned games are shorter. His workrate was always a massive part of his game and strength - he'd run all day and work over opponents with almost a quarter less time on ground his opponents may just be finding it easier to nullify him without having to rest as much and he can't get them to exhaustion point as easily in the timeframe. Or he just needs a few games to come good. I think he'll be fine to be honest. Doesn't necessarily start each season with a bang and Rampe has always troubled him a bit.

Yep - I wouldn't be going anywhere near a 4 year 800k pa contract for BBB.

Unless we have a dominant midfield delivering it to him on a plate he is effectively useless.

He simply just hasn't developed his body to be a dominant key forward.

$1.8m over 3 or he can take his chances elsewhere.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back