Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Fair to say COVID hasn't been overly kind to Benny.

Under normal circumstances he'd be sitting happily with a fat new 5 year contract would keep him and Hester in plant based products for life.

His current output won't be doing much for him at the negotiating table.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The weakest 100kg bloke in the game.

You have to take his frame in to consideration mate.

He has bugger all centre of gravity, but that hasn't stopped him getting 60+ goals a year since he established. He's also playing a lot higher up the ground in Larkey's absence.

We're still 4th in the comp for marks inside 50, and I reckon we would be 1st with Larkey in the side. We'd also be icing more shots on goal.

1593389213798.png

It might sound like a premature claim, but it's looking more and more obvious that Nick is the "lynch pin" of our forward line.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The service was disgusting, but FFS sometimes you just need to grit the teeth and compete. Tonight I thought he waved the white flag on a few occasions and was more interested in trying to draw a free than win the contest.

He is too good a player to be down for too long, but he needs to start bridging the gap between his best and worst, because when he is bad, he can be horrible. He needs to channel a bit of Drew Petrie, because as bad as he got on some occasions, you could still see him busting his arse to do something, even if it was a block to help his teamate.

Yeh the midfield was under siege pressure-wise. Some games you can point to the shite delivery but agree, occasionally you need your forwards coping under trying conditions.

He's the guy the forward line is built around and has been largely neutered this year. Nothing to do with diet or nutritional intake, he's just not playing effectively.

Reminds me of where David Hale got to. Let's hope it doesn't take the same resolution to make this guy take the next step.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

That's on Shaw with McEvoy, Clarkson pulled a bluff with that matchup and it paid off by hoping Brown wouldn't stay home at full forward and that's what happened.

Had Brown been sat in the F50 all night the story would be different, it's not like McEvoy would've provided much as a defender.

The game was there to be exploited for Shaw and he didn't instruct Brown to just stay put, anytime we were out the backdoor and streaming into our forward we would've had a 1 on 1 matchup potentially that would've been won most of the time.

Zurhaar is shorter than McEvoy I believe and even he outbodied him 1 on 1 in the goal square and it resulted in an easy goal for us.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
In essence he's probably saving us money at the end of the year. I doubt Ben Brown plays for another club for his whole career but this was a big contract year for him. Gonna need to be a big show of defiance to change my thoughts on that.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Every year at the start of the season it's the same calls of a "weak" Ben who needs to eat more meat and be more aggressive while he's playing a lone hand with his teammates not creating separation to let him get at the ball.
The he goes on to snagging multiple bags once the system settles.

He's not Carey, but he doesn't need to be if Larkey plays or if the other forwards play their leads smarter.

Let's wait to see how he goes with Jack resting.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hutchy now having a crack. He does have an unhealthy hate for us that rivals the witch.

View attachment 902983
Nothing compared to the half baked s**t he cops on here from so called north faithful. He hasn't had a great start, But there have been issues compounding his own performance. He will turn it around, probably when disposal improves and he doesn't have 3 direct opponents because the rest of our forward line is ineffectual

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The calls for him to eat meat are pretty silly.

Fact is he's in a poor run of form and I don't think that can all be heaped on the midfield, Larkey or McEvoy.

It happens, he's a good enough player to work through it.
Silly? ******* stupid and ignorant more like it.

He's was vegan when he snagged 61 and 64 goals over the last two years. And now its an issue?

Morans going to moran.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Silly? ******* stupid and ignorant more like it.

He's was vegan when he snagged 61 and 64 goals over the last two years. And now its an issue?

Morans going to moran.

Correct weight.

I've seen more than my fair share of omnivorous North Melbourne forwards hit slumps too.

Some of them were terminal.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Correct weight.

I've seen more than my fair share of omnivorous North Melbourne forwards hit slumps too.

Some of them were terminal.

The jury is out until a forward who can photosynthesize comes along to settle this important debate once and for all!!!

Back